SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Chronic Late Term Abortions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Chronic Late Term Abortions « Previous Next »

Jen (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking at purchasing a mare that has aborted for the last two years. The owner, who is also a vet, says she aborted at 7 months the first year and at 9 months last year. She said she could find no reasons for the abortions and there was no warning. The mare is around 17 years old. She also had her on Regumate for 5 months last year, but took her off because her progesterone tests always came back normal. She says she has bred AI and live cover and always catches the first time.

Breeding is not going to be the main reason for buying this mare I just want to know if there may be something that I can do to increase her odds. What might make a mare abort so late twice? Would you breed a mare like this, or is tht just more risk then it is worth? Any suggestions? The owner is a vet, and she says she has had multiple repro exams with good results....

jen (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone?

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you may want to read over this.
http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/late.htm

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She may have a stretch utrine ligament so that it does not hold the weight of the foal to full term.
I gave my older mare two years off to help her regain her figure so to speak. She is vet checked yearly to make sure all is still working well since not breeding her can make her not become prego. But she is built with a slight tilt to her uterous so after 6 foals I gave her a break when we found she was not bred when we bought her. We may have a Casliks done on her this year as well since she is now 15..

Jen (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for pointing out that article. I hadn't read that one yet. I think most of the posibilities don't really fit her, as she was owned by a veterinarin who did frequent progesterone checks, always did vaccinations on time, ultrasounded early for twins, and did pre-breeding clutures. I would defiantly use casliks and do a culture with her.

I don't know about the ligament. There is no visual sign of it. I have seen mares with ruptured ligaments and it was very obvious. If it is something a vet would catch visually or with palpation then her owner would have found it.

Is there any treatment for cervical incompetence?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10456
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have an endometrial biopsy performed to evaluate endometrial condition. That will tell you a lot, and in a mare this age, may well point to the issues relating to the repeated pregnancy loss, and assist in suggesting whether it's reversable or not.

Jennifer Graef
Neonate
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is JenG
I did end up buying this mare. I just took her to the vet today and got "the works". She dug around looking for uterine adhesions (I guess where her uterus was stuck to other organs... she said she had one on her bladder, but not bad. She mover her ovaries around and said that one moved freely, the other she had to free slightly so that it moved all directions (I really think thats what she said, it sounds a bit crazy though). She said she thinks she had just ovulated, so she drew blood for hormone tests. She did the biopsy and the mare bled more then I had seen before. There was a good little pool of blood on the ground. Never had a mare bleed at all before. She did a culture and cytology. She said her cervic was one finger and there was a lot of edema. I don't know what that means...swelling on the cervix? Is that normal?

Waiting on results now. But from the exam there was nothing obviously wrong.

Uterine adhesions? Freely moving ovaries? I haven't read about these things on this site before? Are these real?

Jennifer Graef
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, results are back.

Uterus grade 2A.

Culture found some neutrophyls (sp) but they were consistant with her having just ovulated.

There was a strep isolated in the cytology but culture results are pending. The vet said 3 flushes would take care of that. She said the culture should have come back but they were apparently trying to grow or identify something else but it didn't say what.

Is it ok for them to have taken the culture and cytology from the biopsy? They took the biopsy and put the tissue on a sterile slide and swabbed it and got all three from the same thing. Is that normal? They also had everthing exposed for what seemed like a really long time before it was secured in the sterile transport containers. The tech held the tissue on the slide and talked and breathed while it was right there in front of her mouth (because she was trying to be careful not to knock it off the slide).

She also had a blood sample drawn and she is borderline hypothyroid. Her levels were 11. I don't really know what that means, but the vet said that its something that she would treat just because it COULD be causing problems, but is not low enough to definatly be the problem. She said to check her again in November to see if her levels have changed but treat her until then.

She said treating the thyroid problem would be about $60 for 6 months.

Any comments? Would you breed this mare? Anything else we should look for? Any cautions?

Jennifer Graef
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have anything to comment? Is my vet doing the right things? What are uterine adhesions and can you free them up just by moving stuff around?

Any experiance with thyroid conditions? Any thoughts on leaving the sample exposed for so long? On taking all the samples from the biopsy? Anyone?

Juniper Meadow Ranch- Theresa
Neonate
Username: Gracekelly

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would screen this mare for tick borne infection. I have two mares that are having tick infection issues relating to later term loss. These are fixable with tetracycline or doxycycoine.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US