SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can Stress cause miscarrage

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Can Stress cause miscarrage « Previous Next »

Karen Bowman
Neonate
Username: Awakenings

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a VERY stressy 7yr TB Maiden Mare. We tried to get her to stand for live cover to a Riding Pony Stallion. We were unable to achieve this as even with sedation and twitch etc she was just too worried(We thought this may be the case). We had been watching her (scans) closely, earlier that morning she had a 36mm follicle and was given Chorolyn (SP?) to make her ovulate. The next day scaned again to make sure hadn't ovulated,43mm follicle, had to AI with fresh semen due to bad behaviour.
Is stress linked in any way to miscarrages? This mare sweats and trembles in the float, at shows (at alot of things!) I'm worried about floating her whilst in foal (hopefully in foal anyway)but this obviously can't always be avoided. I need to float her back to vet to scan her at 15 and 35 days. I also want to show her inhand. Does my mares stressy behaviour mean she is more likely to miscarry? Should we 'wrap her up in cotton wool' or treat her as any normal horse? Any ideas to help her stand for live service next year would also be appreciated.

PS After AI was not given Oxytocin. Thought this was unusal - comments

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen, I would not be carting this mare around every where but just putting her in the paddock. The fact that she stresses so much could be a problem, just like it is for humans. IMHO i would not be breeding such a mare in fear of the foal inheriting such a trait.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is also quite stressy - She stood for covering like a pro though, and trailering she is excellent at - she used to sweat up but I found out that with all the travelling to the vets for scans that if I left the top of the trailer open at the back she didnt, so maybe she was just hot? Anyway - We had a paddy at the 35day scan because one of the handlers wrapped the rope around a bar and then trod on the end of it instead of tieing her (she does not tie well andd when she felt this tension..!) Little fetus was fine though. Her companions were changed at about 50 days and again little baby was fine, and we moved fields and shes on her own at the moment at about 6/7 months and shes still throwing regular tantrums about her new stable! - I guess what Id be inclined to say ( and I have no prior experience) is couldnt you have a vet out to you for the scans (I had that option here but my mare does trailer well) and any subsiquent checks? Only the early pregnancy I wouldnt liked to have upset my mare too much but as I understand, after the fetus is attached well, it is rather like a human pregnancy, once shes pregnant, its there. No denying accidents happen and we can all be unlucky but dont overdo it with the cotton wool...? Anyone disagree?

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read my post - Im not saying it doesnt cause miscarrage - I read lots of info about stress being a prob, but it didnt hurt mine any - How bad do you really think she is......?

Karen Bowman
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I should have said 'Trailer' rather than 'floating'(from Australia). I'm not sure how much of her behaviour is her being geneticly stressy or how much is from the racetrack(manmade probs)she is a very squeely silly mare anyway! When trailered she foams up in a lather of sweat, the floor looks like it's been hosed down (even after 10mins)and she trembles and pours at the floor. She did this even after being sedated on the way home from the vets (was hot day though). I'd love to get her scanned at 15 days to find out asap if she is in foal and also she's difficult to tell when in Estrus. I have to trailer to vets as I don't have a crush at home. My idea was to show her in hand/halter breed classes whilst in foal to get her used to show atmosphere. Mare also has excellent conformation and a few champion ribbons would help in sale of the foal if we decided to sell it. Next year after foal weaned etc I could show her under saddle and she would have gotten used to traveling and show atmosphere etc and she would be easier. At what stage of pregnancy is most/least likely to loose foal. If I did for eg. wait til 35days to scan would chance of absorbing due to stress be just as high as 15days. She only had a single ovulation so twins not a prob, could wait but dying to know if in foal! I don't however want to do anything that may endanger the mare or embryo/fetus

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should definately have her checked before 35days to make sure there are not twins (more common in TBs) but I would hate to guess at any other info and be wrong! My mare could have been scanned without the need for a crush... not a possibility for you?

Karen Bowman
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think I'll just go ahead take her to the vets and have her 15 day scan on Saturday. I havn't found a vet in Western Australia that will scan a mare without a crush, even if the mare is VERY quiet (Which this one is not anyway - still worried in crush and with sedation!)I hope desperately that she is in foal and stays that way. At least then all the trouble she's caused us will be worth it in the end! I'd just hate for her to actually be in foal and due to stress I cause her floating or whatever, loose it.

Renee
Breeding Stock
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen,
Was your mare in foal?
I would suggest once she is confirmed in foal, and no twinning, i would leave her at home. Dont 'wrap her in cotton wool' as such, just try not to stress her out. Do blood tests for the next pregnancy tests so that a crush and trailering isnt nessary.
If you really want to get her out and used to things, try just taking her for a walk down to a local park/lake/town and see how she reacts to different things. If she stresses out there, then she is really going to stress out at a show. And in this case, i would wait... who knows, a baby might make her calm down some with a bit of luck, and you can start on the showing side of things later.
Also once the foal is born, i would handle it, show it different things, even once weaned take it for short trailer rides if he/she is up to it, just to make sure you dont have the same problem with the foal as often the mares mannerisms will be picked up by the foal.

Karen Bowman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee- Mare has just been tested and still in foal at 42 days. She required more than the usual sedation than those mares that even need it. Thankyou for your advice. I think I will just leave her in the paddock from now on. I'm hoping that a baby will calm her down but as yet I'm still waiting for those happy mare hormones to kick in!lol. Exposing the foal to as much as possible sounds like a good idea as well. I'm hoping that it dosn't pick up too many of mums (opps Mom's) mannerisms! Showing her was too stressfull anyway (think I was more stressed than her in the end)

Jennifer Graef
Nursing Foal
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More then trailering I would be worried about all the sedation. My vet won't sedate a mare in foal unless it is life threatening. Her being sedated seemed to appear in every post.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US