SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Abortions coincidence?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Abortions coincidence? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just been most unfortunate to lose 2 foals within six days of each other, the first at 244 days and the second at 246 days.
Both have been sent to the vets for further investigation, but with the holiday season its been pretty long and waiting, and the first tests have shown nothing abnormal.
The mares were absolutely fine, showed no signs of any discomfort/reason. We have just gone into the box in the morning feed (Around 7am) and found a foal- both have been colts. The mares have shown no sign to cause concern afterwards either. Everyone (vets, etc.) don't understand what has happened, is it purely a coincidence? I have been told (and from past experiences), that the most common time for mares to lose a foal is at around the 8 month mark, but there seems to be no reason, which is the most worrying part.
All of the mares Service dates are around the same time, and I have 2 more that I am just praying are ok. I suppose I will just have to wait and see, if any one has any idea please let me know as we are stumped!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10397
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you note, mid to late term pregnancy is the most common time for abortions, so coincidence is a possibility, although a less likely one.

When one sees abortions occurring in the manner you have - multiple and close together - the first thing that should be evaluated is the possibility of a causative infectious agent. Two common such agents are Rhinopneumonitis (specifically the abortion strain 1 of EHV-1) and Equine viral arteritis (EVA). Of the two, with the apparent lack of symptoms in the mares and the closeness of the timings, EVA might be more likely.

Were there recent "visitors" to the farm (in the form of horses)? Were any of your animals recently off-farm at a show or other event where there were other horses? Were your mares innoculated against EVA or EHV-1 (the necessary products for EHV-1 in North America are either "Pneumabort-K" or "Prodigy", and must be given at 5, 7 and 9 months of pregnancy at a minimum)?

Unfortunately, until you get a result back from the necropsies, there really isn't much you can do.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with the necropsies and the other mares!

Gynna Meiller
Yearling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Please keep us informed. It could be many factors but as Jos stated one of the most common is the Rhino virus. Fescue hay or mold in hay, acorns and other enviromental things can cause this as well. I hope thats all you have to deal with and your other two mares will fare well. Keep us posted..

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering if it may also be equien herpe's virus (it's not like human herpes). I'm in Australia and we had a mare abort her foal at 9 months along, we had to have the foal checked for the virus as if it was herpes we were told that our other mares were more than likely to abort. Luckily for us it wasn't that, only a infection of the placenta. I'm not sure wether this is a virus that is found outside of Australia but thought it may be worth consideration.

Cathy
Yearling
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most common Rhinopnuemonitis that causes abortion is EHV-1 (equine herpes virus) :-)

(Message edited by Cathy on January 01, 2006)

Emma
Yearling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK sorry ... never herd it called that here. So is that the same Rhino injection that some people think causes birth deformaties?

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the results are back and nothing virus related was noted, one was fine so it is still undergoing a bit more checks to see the cause, and the other wasn't forming right, I think that is the least convuluted way of putting it.
It seems coincidental, just unfortunate that it was so close and on such a small farm (with 4 mares obviously 2 is 50% of the foal crop). The one was just not right so it is better that the pregnancy finished. The other, well the mare was fighting in the field the day before (her and another mare were really kicking and biting each other bad), so that might be the cause, which is awful but its horses I think.

Anonymous

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 7-1/2 months pregnant. On Dec. 3rd (at 6-1/2 months) she had colic surgery. Regumate, 10 ml per day, was prescribed. She has retained the pregnancy and is doing well, but has become almost unmanageable. She is VERY anxious, actually dangerous to lead and to handle. I have been trying to turn her out (she has been on stall rest), but she is too explosive and I don't trust how she will handle turnout. Yes, I know, to transition a horse from stall rest to a turnout schedule can be difficult, and perhaps we should use some 'Ace,' but she almost appears to be 'jumping out of her skin.' And she does have welts on her sides, which may or may not be the Regumate.
My question is, could Regumate be affecting her temperament in this manner?
I have gradually been reducing her dosage; over 4 days we are now at 8 ml per day, with the intention of reducing her slowly and finally taking her off the drug. My vet and the surgeons at the clinic have advised that she remain on Regumate until 30 days before her due date.
Has anyone had this experience with temperament changes? Am I risking the pregnancy by withdrawing the support that Regumate offers?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10408
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be unlikely that Regumate would cause agitation - progestins actually have a tranquilizing effect.

If the vets have advised that she be kept on the product, then probably your best bet is to contact them and discuss the issue with them directly so that they can consider all the factors before advising you to stop giving the Regumate or not.

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had an older mare on Regumate and she went from being laid back and very docile to having a whole lot more energy. ( rather like she felt like a spring chick again ! ) Unfortunately, it was not enough to keep her from absorbing the foal each year.

Sometimes when a horse has been confined for an extended period, they can have a lot of energy and the trip to the turn out is rather scary. (those horses, I let my husband handle..lol)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US