SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

In foal mare showing signs of being in season at 40 days?!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » In foal mare showing signs of being in season at 40 days?!! « Previous Next »

Amy Southworth
Neonate
Username: Amysouthworth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As i have a tendancy to panic easily I am asking others of their experiences of mares who have been scanned in foal however later showing signs of being in season.....?!

I have brought forward this mares next scan to this week after seeing this so it is only a matter of time until i will know for definite but it would be interesting to hear if others would normally worry in this situation before then.

A bit of info on her is that she gave birth to her first foal this year, she is four years, very healthy and our vet apparantly found a very faint heart beat at around 25 days on her last scan. She is now 40 days and she has been showing in season for the last four days.
I have no obvious reasons to believe she may of re-absorbed through stress or infection.

I am also less inclined to panic because earlier this year I did see her showing inseason again when she had around 3 months left remaining and she was very healthily still carring her filly foal when we had her scanned... so it has happened before, but its the fact that we havent passed the 100 days which brings the most concern for this time.

I have asked the advice of vets however of course they only like to comment to a certain extent and I have been told she may or may not still be in foal, and that of course I know it is possible for this to occur because I have experienced it before with this mare but there is obviously no way of knowing for sure before we have her scanned again.

I have also just worked out that this is indeed her natural cycle time for being in season also, which gives me more hope as I have experienced a change in ovulation/ cycling time if a pregnancy has been lost before where their cycle no longer matches to its orginial pattern when inseminated.

I'm sure my concern is unnecessary and I am very excited/ nervous for later this week, but how common is this from others experiences?

Many thanks!

Joyce Ensley
Weanling
Username: Goda_15

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never experienced this with my mare but I do know that some mares have shown signs of being in season all the way through their pregnancy.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 10% of pregnant mares still show estrus. The only way you will now for sure is to have her checked again. Interestingly, those mares that are pregnant but show estrus have a slightly higher percentage of filly foals (don't go buying a pink halter and then complain when you get a colt next year though!!!).

Amy Southworth
Neonate
Username: Amysouthworth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for your experiences.

Great news.... she still in foal!!

So at least I can relax now, the trauma I went through to achieve a pregnancy with this mare through AI, mortified wouldn't have come close but thankfully she looks to be in that small catagory who do still show in season so i now know for future.

Thats a very interesting observation Jos, with regards to a higher percentage filly producer! Has there been any research on that area at all? I'd be very interested to learn more if there has been!
Coincedently I was advised that this mare would more than likely be a filly producer if she was to take after her dam lines, and so far one foal and one filly on the ground!! So, this may be very possible!
Although on the other side others claim it is purely the male who determines the sex, I'll try and find some time to look in to this soon!

Cheryl Mondry
Yearling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Amy, just a thought - both times that my mare has been with foal she has showed signs of full heat. The first foal was a wonderful filly, the second was a colt. Not sure if there is any scientific reasoning that will give you one vs the other.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was work done by Ginther some years ago. You'll have to go and dig for the exact reference.

It is the sperm that decides the sex of the foal. XX = female; XY = male. The mare provides the X and only the X, so it's up to the stallion to choose the "why"... :-)

Cheryl Mondry
Yearling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos - apparently my baby stallion couldn't decide on the "why" LOL. He has a half sister that is 3 months older than him.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not even close to an absolute (just a tendency towards a higher percentage of fillies), hence my prior caveat about not whining if you buy a pink halter and get a colt! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US