SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Absorbed pregnancy last year, not settling this year

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Absorbed pregnancy last year, not settling this year « Previous Next »

Sandy D
Yearling
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year my then 10 year old TB mare was confirmed in foal at 40 days, was re-checked at 60 days and found open. She finally came back into heat 3 months later and was bred, but didn't settle.
This year we bred her in May, normal heat cycle, she stood perfect for the stallion. 30 days later she started showing signs of heat (there was no heat between that time), but when we would try to breed her, she would completely freak out to be mounted, but she somewhat tolerated it. She stayed in standing heat for 9 days, which we were able to cover her every other day during that time. Had her ultra sounded 16 days after the last breed date and vet found a 35 follicle on left ovary. He asked if we could tease her with the stud, which we did, and she showed no signs of heat. He said her uterine tone was good, no sign of fluid in the uterus, everything looked normal. We waited til the next day, teased her again, no signs of heat. We waited a day, teased her again, and her tail went up, winking and peeing, so we tried to breed her, she freaked out again. Stallion was able to mount and penetrate, but not "finish" as the mare had a total come apart.
Could this mare be pregnant and still have a follicle that size? Or is she absorbing every pregnancy? Has something gone wrong with her mentally?
This is a mare that normally settles the first time she is bred through a cycle.
The vet has suggested that we may have to do some cultures to find out what is going on, but I don't see how that is going to explain the strange behavior. Could she just be "done" having babies?
I'm at a loss.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10237
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could this mare be pregnant and still have a follicle that size?

Absolutely! It is perfectly normal for mares to have follicular presence throughout pregnancy and especially the earlier portions of pregnancy. In fact around 35 days, some structures called the "endometrial cups" grow in that secrete a hormone called "equine chorionic gonadotropin" (aka "eCG"), and that hormone stimulates follicular development which results in an increase in CL presence for about 60 days from about 35 days of pregnancy - those follicles are essential for pregnancy maintenance at that stage!

There is no such thing as a "mare that normally settles the first time she is bred through a cycle". Sorry... :-(

Each time a mare foals, the uterus and reproductive tract is damaged a little. Eventually it will be so damaged that it will not maintain (or establish) a pregnancy. The number of foals a mare has before she reaches that point will vary from mare to mare and experience to experience. It does mean however that thorough pre-breeding peri- and post work-ups becomes more essential with each pregnancy if one wants to get a foal.

A uterine infection will prevent pregnancy establishment or maintenance. I am a little uncomfortable with the lack of understanding that it appears your vet may have with this situation, and if this is correct - and it may just be my interpretation of your interpretation of what he is saying - I would strongly encourage you to seek a vet that is experienced in equine reproduction - preferably a theriogenologist if one is available.

I think your mare should be evaluated for pregnancy again, and if not pregnant, a thorough work-up done on her before breeding her again.

Sandy D
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I have this mare rechecked for pregnancy, are we looking for a 40+ day pregnancy or a 20 day pregnancy?
I would imagine a 40+ day pregnancy would be hard to miss on ultrasound. And I have to honestly say that this vet has never missed a 16 day pregnancy on ultrasound since I have been using him, which has been for 13 years. But I do know there's always a first for everything.
And what I meant by "this mare normally settles the first time she is bred through a cycle" is every year we have bred her, the first cycle we breed her through, she has settled. She has only had 2 foals. Last year's was the first year we had ever had a problem with her absorbing.
My vet also recommended that we have her cultured to see what is going on if she does not settle at all this year. But with her being so obstinate with trying to breed her, I don't see how we CAN get her settled. I guess that's the biggest mystery to me, is the sudden change in breeding behavior.
The plan right now is to wait and see if she starts to show any signs of heat again on what should be her next cycle, and if the behavior is the same, then I am going to have her re-examined for pregnancy, and if no pregnancy is found, then she will get the complete work up.
It would be nice if she is indeed pregnant, at least that would explain why her behavior is the way it is.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had the vet out to re ultrasound at 5 months. My Becky was bred on foal heat last year, confirmed in foal at 18 days, and re-ultrasounded at 3 months because she was showing alot of interest in the stud standing at the boarding facility. She was still in foal, but the vet told me that the foal was small for gestation and the placenta was very thin. SHe expected that if she was going to lose the foal, she would do so in the next week or so.
Everything went along with no problems, but we decided to re-ultrasound at 5 months when we had the vet coming out to do Rhino shots. No foal ! :-( THis is the second foal we have lost in two years. Our other mare, Pixie, lost her foal last year at 6 1/2 months along, and this year she didnt settle. So, no foals for us next year.

Is it possible that the vet could miss a 5 month gestation foal with ultrasound? I guess im holding out some hope that she may still be pregnant. I was watching the screen and there was absolutely nothing anywhere. She took a good 10 minutes doing the ultrasound so I know she was thorough. ANy ideas?

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie,
So sorry to hear that your mare lost the foal. I know how much you were looking forward to this one.
I did a blood test on my mare for pregnancy, and it came back positive. But I still honestly don't know if she is indeed in foal. She would only be approx. 4 months along at this time and she is huge. My hubby is afraid that she may be carrying twins.
I just need to break down and have her examined again to see what it going on with her.

Kim v.
Yearling
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear that Debbie!! I know how excited you were about this new one!

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie:

Are your mare's in pasture or stalled? I would imagine if they aborted so late, there would be a 'lump of something' somewhere...but out in pasture you probably wouldn't see it...

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Guys. Big disappointment this year.

I only have two mares, so when something like this happens you really feel the loss. I guess losing two foals if I had 40 wouldnt be so bad.. anyway, Becky is boarded at the Horsey Holiday Inn, spending nights stalled in a 14 x 10 and nice days outside in her own paddock. We watched her like a hawk after the vet was out at 3 months and she sure got used to us lifting her tail and shuffling around both her stall and outside looking for anything out of the ordinary. We found nothing. The vet figures she absorbed the foal the week she did the ultrasound, so nothing would have been found in field or stall though I find that hard to believe since I would think there should have been something aborted.... anyway, what makes me think the vet might have missed the pregnancy is Becky never came back into heat and other than showing a day or so interest in one of the standing stallions back before her 3 month ultrasound, she never showed any interest the rest of the summer.

Last year, Pixie aborted at 6 1/2 months. I posted the results of the necropsy on the board last February or so. The foal was about the size of a beagle, and easily found in her stall. She wasnt at the same place as Becky or eating the same food, or around the same horses, so I know there is no connection between the two events.

This year Pixie was injured by a farrier and ended up lame on her right front leg, and is to this day, so her riding days are over, and she also didnt settle, though we didnt take her back for a re-breeding after the injury thinking she might not be able to take the added weight of a stallion mounting or a pregnancy.

Total bummer. :-(

Is there any chance the vet could have missed the pregnancy at 5 months? She did an ultrasound and nothing showed on the screen anywhere. Could the foal have dropped too low to be seen? Am I a total goof for thinking she might be wrong and Becky still might be pregnant? Opinions anyone?

How aboutyou guys? WHo is expecting foals this year? I have a line on a homozygous cremello tobiano weanling in Oklahoma, and another one Iowa. Waiting for pictures and pedigrees etc. Maybe there will be a baby around the barn next year one way or the other.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy: I did three ultrasounds on Becky, had the vet out on an emergency on a Sunday afternoon since she went down in her stall and the boarding facility thought she might be aborting.. turned out to be a case of mastitis, so antibiotics, etc for a week etc etc. Cost me a fortune, but peace of mind is priceless. If it were me I would have her ultrasounded so you know for sure. We all know the odds of twins and you could end up losing your mare too ! Let us know what you decide to do.
Deb.

p.s. I am considering selling my kids into slavery to pay for the vet bills. :P

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you could miss a 5 month foal on an U/S...If your still not sure then maybe you could have another done, or wait until early next year and palpate..the Vet should be able to feel the foal at that point.

I have 3 mares due next year...I had a horrible time getting my own mares in foal this year (so I bought one in foal :-), is that cheating?)...

One mare took 3 separate tries, but she's finally preggers and has been confirmed twice.

Another mare finally took on the 4th try (September) although when palpated at 34 days the Vet said the 'lump' was indistinguishable, so he was 90% sure she was pregnant, but I'll check her agin in another few weeks to make sure.

The year before last I had two mares 'supposedly' in foal and they both turned up empty, they were my only foals expected that year so I know how you feel, it was just a horrible feeling.

Kim v.
Yearling
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie, I didn't breed Lilly back this year....too much money spent on the foal (he had a scrotal hernia and needed surgery). I am considering breeding her back next year in spring, but quite honestly, I may just buy my next baby. This was a great experience for me and I am very, very happy with my colt, but for all the money I spent getting her pregnant and then having all the problems with him when he was born......well, let's just say I could have bought myself a REALLY NICE baby from down south. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything and I accomplished my goal of getting a foal out of my favorite mare. So, when next spring comes, we'll talk about it but honestly I think I'm done . I'm not rich enough for this breeding stuff!!!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb,
I would think that if your mare lost her foal between 3 and 5 months, there would definitely be something to be found of the fetus. When my TB mare lost her foal around 4 months we found the fetus in the pasture, it was about the size of a 3 week old puppy I would say, and was perfectly formed. This is the same TB mare that I'm dealing with this year.
I know we have two mares in foal for sure, one Appy mare who is in foal to my Appy junior stallion which I just lost on Labor Day this year during emergency colic surgery. (Talk about an expensive vet bill!) I am watching this mare like a hawk since this is the only foal I'm expecting next year by that stallion and I'm praying for a filly. (nail test says it IS a filly).
The other is a palomino miniature mare who is in foal to my buckskin mini stallion.
And then of course the TB mare, which vet said "no pregnancy" on 16 day u/s but blood test said "positive" at 45 days.
I think I'm gonna call my vet today and see if I can schedule a time to take her in and have her checked. This is just starting to drive me crazy!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady at the boarding facility where Becky is says I should have her blood tested to confirm no pregnancy. We have found nothing, no foal, no trace of an abort etc. She never showed any interest in the stallions and to this day hasnt. I think that I will call another vet and have him come out to check her. I cant see how the first vet would miss a pregnancy at 5 months or if it is even possible, but stranger things have happened im sure.

I lost out on a cremello tobiano by about 5 hours the other day. I am totally bummed. I put an ad on dilute.com looking for a mare and got a few websites on a response. I found a lady that had one, but by the time I got back to her and decided I wanted the mare, someone else was driving 6 hours to see her. She took her.. ughhhhhhh so now I have to start over looking. Oh well. maybe its for the best as I am still boarding and another horse on the board bill would be a little painful too.
Total bummer year. Next year please !!

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie,
From my understanding (and please correct me if im wrong) when the mare is about 5 months into pregnancy the pregnancy can be missed because the foal can go out of reach under the pelvic rim. Also if she did abort, then the mare may not come back into heat for some time afterwards (hence no interest in stallion), and i think the blood test can still show that she is pregnant if the abortion was fairly recent.
I am sure others will be able to clarify this for you, as my understanding of it is a little vaige... but i would have a vet do a bloodtest on your mare, and also and then another ultraound to back it up.
After the mare goes 6months (i think) the foal should be visible again on ultrasound (or palpating) if this was the problem before.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to call my old vet tomorrow and get an opinion. If he says that it is possible that the other vet missed the foal, then I will have him come out and re-ultrasound and bloodtest. She would be 5 1/2 months along now.

Deb.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10360
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 5 months of pregnancy (150 days), the size of the developing fetus is such that it is expanding back up into the abdominal cvity sufficiently that it once again becomes palpable. It is between about days 90-150 that the fetus is possibly out of reach.

In the event that the mare loses the pregnancy after the formation of the endometrial cups (at about day 36), then she will nto be likely to come back into estrus ("heat") until 120-150 days. In other words, by 150 days, if she has lost the pregnancy she should be thinking about coming back into estrus.

The blood test that is being referred to as possibly being a false positive in the event that the pregnancy has been lost is a test for eCG (the "Pregnamare" test). This test has to be performed between about 40 and 70 days of pregnancy for maximum accuracy (assuming no pregnancy loss). By now (~150 days) the levels of eCG will have declined naturally. If one wants to use blood test, then the test to use is for estrone sulfate or "total estrogens". That tetst is reliable after about day 100 of pregnancy.

If the mare is being ultrasounded, then the need for a blood test is really questionable and would to my mind be a redundant extra expense.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called my regular vet today. He said that it was rare to miss a pregnancy on ultrasound at 5 months, but if there was some doubt, it would be wise to do a rectal palp on her. He didnt think ultrasound or bloodtest was necessary. If she is still pregnant, he would know by doing the palp. So, that said, I will book him to come visit her in the next week or so, then we will know for sure what is going on.

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on my TB mare:
She would be approximately 6 months along from her last breed date (which the vet u/s'ed at 16 days and said no pregnancy) and I have felt definite foal movement! The first time I felt it, it was slight and questionable...but this last time, which was 2 days ago, it was undeniable that it is a foal moving. Not to mention the fact that she is getting pretty wide. I am so relieved knowing that she is for sure in foal. Now my only question is, whether she is only 6 months or whether she got in foal the first time we bred her prior to that. Considering on her last breeding, she really didn't want to be bred and that isn't normal behavior for her. So, she is either going to foal the first part of May, or the first part of June. Guess I will just have to keep an eye on her and see when it is that she starts making an udder..

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Sandy. Sounds like you have a foal on the way after all.

I had my vet out. No foal for Becky this year. Shes as fat as a tick LOL. but he said nope !. So I guess somehow she lost it just after her 3 month ultrasound. I still wonder how we missed the little thing since she wasnt out in a big field and her stall and pasture was checked daily. Oh well, such is life. No foals for me for 2006. But....on a brighter note..... I just bought a perlino homo tobiano colt grandson of QT Poco Streke !.. I just got an email from the owners saying they are bringing him up this Wednesday! Talk about a Christmas Surprise! I was figuring he would be up around mid to 3rd week of January. I'll let you know what happens but I'm really anxious to get him home. We will be standing him in 2007 or 2008. I want to get some showing in next spring and summer and see what kind of stud colt he will turn out to be. I know for sure he will be one of the only ones around, and possibly the only one in Canada, so I am hopeful he will do his thing ! LOL.

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Debbie,
Thanks.. I just hope I'm not just not feeling things hoping it is a foal. But I am almost positive (99%) that is what it is. If it isn't foal movement, then she has an alien..LOL.
Congrats on your new colt, he sounds awesome. It is nice to own your own stallion as you no longer have to worry about stud fees and such, but at the same time it can be somewhat stressful..especially when you start standing to outside mares.
That's too bad about Becky. I can't believe that you didn't find the aborted fetus at that stage. But if there are barn cats around or something like that, one could have drug it off.
When my TB mare aborted at 4 mos, I found the fetus and placenta in the pasture and I had picked it up and sat it out in front of my garage in a plastic bag. By that night, half of it was gone. Something had torn into the bag and started munching on it, there wasn't much left of it really. So it doesn't take long for critters to find something like that and help themselves to it.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, lots of cats there so who knows what happened to it. Anyway, such is life. She will go back to the breeder in spring and try again. In a few years I will use the new stud colt and no more stud fees or transporting to another facility and paying those fees for mare care etc. I will keep my fingers crossed for your mare and hope you have a new foal on the ground from this cross.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy;

My new little fellow is home and safely tucked away in his stall at the moment. We got him about a month ago now and all is well. For a colt out on pasture with 40 other mares and foals he is extremely quiet ! He loves to be brushed and fussed over. He does not know about electric fence, however, as he was out on pagewire and barbwire in the states. We are having a heck of a time keeping our fences from grounding out, so we can only put him out when we are watching, or he just plods through the fence and into the yard YIKES! We tried putting him in the round pen, which worked for a while, but then he jumped out of it DOUBLE YIKES! He is 13' high at 9 months, His poppa was 16 hands and mom was 15'2 so I am thinking he will be 15+

Here is a link to his pictures, some taken last summer and one taken in December with his fur coat on. :-)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/woodyfrontjune2005Small.jp g

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/rperlinocoltrearSmall.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/1205perlino6Small.jpg

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Deb,
Glad to hear that your new guy made it to you. Sounds like you're having fun trying to keep him contained tho. The brats anyway.
He is a nice looking colt! He is a Paint, correct? It's so hard to tell on those double dilutes.
I also have a colt here that is 9 months and is standing 13hh. But the funny part about that is that his sire was only 15.1hh and his dam is only 14.1hh. But this colt is the one who is by my stallion who died at 3 years, so I don't know if he was done growing yet. His sire was 16.2hh and his dam was 15.2hh. And this colt's dam has a full brother who is 16hh. You just never know how big they will get.
I hope you're enjoying your new little one.... hopefully you get him to start respecting his boundaries:-)

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi sandy;

Yep hes a homo tobi. Its hard to see the white on the perlino, but when he sheds out in spring I will send you another shot. THe boarding facility is going to upgrade the wire today, so we will see if he gets a shock to put him in his place or not !

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a homo tobi AND a double dilute.... you're going to be getting some colorful foals from this guy :-)

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy;

Yep, thats the plan. There arent too many double dilutes up here that are also homo for tobiano, so lets home that helps when it comes time for him to do this thing :-) I am in the middle of finding a trainer for him so that he can show at the paint horse shows this summer and hopefully get a few points behind his name, as well as waiting until the frost is out of the ground to get my fencing up at home and get my babies home. Keep your fingers crossed !

Deb

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb,
I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. I know what it's like to own a young stud and to do the promoting and showing AND trying to get your place safe for him and all the new foals. It's a lot of work but well worth it.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy;

Yep I think hes worth the trouble. He really does have a sweet personality, so his houdini escapes really dont bother me too much, except for his safety issue. I am in the middle of finding a good trainer to work with him so we will be ready for the first Paint Horse shows in June.

Let us know about your mare and that alien she is carrying LOL

Deb

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!
I'll tell ya what, if she didn't get pregnant on that first breeding, then this foal is going to be gigantic. If she got in foal from the second breeding, she would only be a tad over 7 months, and that foal was kicking so hard the other day that her body was literally rocking.. I have never seen this strong of foal movement at 7 months. Now, if she got pregnant on the first breeding, then she is almost 9 months...that would make much more sense. So, I am going to start watching for any udder development around the end of next month.
Every time I feel or see that foal moving I have to just shake my head in disbelief. I honestly cannot believe that the vet missed it on ultrasound. And it just makes me really frustrated because I honestly wish I knew which breeding she settled on. I have never been in this predicament before where I haven't known the exact dates that one of my mares were bred. I know what dates she was covered... but they are 30+ days apart and that can really make a difference.
I'll let ya know when I start seeing some change in her udder.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okeedokee I'll be watching :-)

Deb

JENNY BADER
Neonate
Username: Katiearab

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 25 year old barren mare that I bred last june. The vet did some bloodwork and found she had low progesteron so we put her on regumate. Then after having her ultrasounded every 30 days a four month ultrasound indicated she had aborted. Can an ultrasound be wrong?? She is as big as a house and would be 9.5 months along !! Could it be a psuedo pregnany even though she supposedly aborted?? Could she still be really Pregnant!!
}

(Message edited by KATIEARAB on March 31, 2006)

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny,
I would think it would be hard to miss a 4 month pregnancy on ultrasound, BUT... I have learned that almost anything is possible when it comes to equine pregnancies. It seems from the posts on this board that there have been a lot of things missed on ultrasound lately.
Had your previous ultrasounds shown a normal pregnancy until the 4 month u/s?
Also, is your mare stalled or pastured in a large area? If your mare aborted between 3 and 4 months, you should have found the fetus and placenta.
At 9.5 months along, you should definitely be feeling foal movement by now. It may be worth it to you to have her palpated. There would be no mistaking a 9.5 month pregnancy on palpation.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have seen a mare abort and then continue to develop as if she were pregnant. I have also seen and heard too that the last ultra sound shows what appeared to be a mare aborted yet it may have ended up being a twin and the the mare went to term with the twin that survived.

, sorry not a ton of help. Agree that if your now unsure that you should have the mare checked by a vet so you can try to get a couple of needed shots in.

Kim

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to update the thread..
The mare that the vet said was NOT in foal on U/S last summer, just gave birth to a HUGE bay colt with a beautiful spotted blanket! She foaled him on 6/6/06. So, she did get pregnant on the second breeding, not the first one at the beginning of May.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
WE WANT PICS!!!!!!! :-)

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go! It's not the greatest pic to show his color, but I will try to get some different ones as the days go by.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/sheshai/2daysoutsidesm.jpg

Kelly Bowman
Neonate
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy,

What an awesome colt! I am expecting a spotted one next March. I would love to see more pics!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kelly,
We were very excited to see so much color come from this mare. She is a TB and has never produced color before. But she was bred to my fewspot leopard stallion for this baby and we just KNEW she was going to have to give us SOME color, but just didn't know how much. He was a very nice surprise indeed, considering the vet said she wasn't pregnant!
I will definitely be getting more pics of him as he grows.

Kelly Bowman
Neonate
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy,
My mare is an Arabian and she is bred to a Fewspot appy stallion too! All of the stallion's babies have been "loud colored" sp I am hoping for a bit of color. Keep in touch with the pics!

lynn Westmont
Neonate
Username: Giddyupcaballo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question? Can a vet miss a foal on a rectal palp. My vet said my mare's uterus was soft and that she wasn't pregnant. She aborted or slipped the foal. She is a maiden mare and looks quite pregnant The vet didn't remove the manure out of the rectum when she checked. We have all seen and felt this baby move. Where did it go? Can bowel movement be that strong.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10796
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes to all.

Vets have been known to miss pregnancies; and bowel movements can look like a foal moving by distending the side of the mare.

Pregnancy loss frequently goes undetected - you will not necessarily find fetal material in the case of an abortion unless it is late-term - especially if the mare is turned out in a paddock.

If in doubt, have the mare checked again.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US