SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

?? Aborted

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » ?? Aborted « Previous Next »

tracey whitehead
Neonate
Username: Thisby1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum, and am looking for some advice.

I have a 12 yr old ID x mare who was last bred 5th May 09. She was in season for 10 days and covered 5 times in total.

Her first scan showed no pregnancy (21 days), her second scan (as she didn't return in season) showed pregnancy (40 days).

She travelled very badly on return from stud so my own vet scanned again at 50 days and the pregnancy was confirmed as being at the very tip of the horn (was almost mistaken for a follicle). Vet said correct size for dates, was moving but we didn't see a heartbeat. The vet really struggled to find the pregnancy because of it's position and because my mare is very 'roomy', she is long and deep.

2 days ago my mare was calling for a gelding who passed her paddock. I inspected her vulva and she was moist and a bit looser than before (she had been dry and tight previously). That night i noticed a small bead of clear, thick, odourless fluid at the tip of her vulva.

I called my vet who came and scanned and unfortunately could not find a pregnancy. She would be 107 days pregnant. He said her uterus felt swollen and spongy.

I know I am clutching at straws but is it possible that he could have missed the pregnancy? He is very experienced and was very definate. Does anyone have experience of missed pregnancies at 100 + days?

I am grateful for anyone's thoughts.

tracey whitehead
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, is this posted in the right place?

Just wondered as havn't had any replies

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2594
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very possible that he could have missed it....around 90 days the fetus falls below the pelvic rim, and is many times missed. But, if you question your vet, you could either do a wee foal test, or have another vet check her out.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Diana notes, your mare is in the time frame that can make it difficult to reach the pregnancy, however your observation that the pregnancy was located "at the very tip of the horn" at 50 days is not good. It should have been in the region of the corpus-cornual junction - the point where the horns of the uterus branch off from the body - not at the tip of the horn.

I would wait another couple of weeks until about 120 days and then have an estrogen assay performed on either her urine or her blood. You could possibly do it now, but the results should be definitive by 120 days.

tracey whitehead
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Diana and Jos.

I have ordered a wee foal test today so will give that a go.

The vet did see fluid in the uterus but no pregnancy.

Here's hoping

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2597
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep in mind that wee foal won't work until 120 days....and i don't think it will tell you if your mare has lost her foal. (?) Not sure. But, Estrogen assay on blood will tell your vet alot more about what's actually happening. And whether the pregnancy has been lost or is still viable.

Ok, i just went to wee foal, and they claim that in the even of pregnancy loss, it will come back negative as steroid levels drop dramatically....so maybe it's more accurate than i thought

(Message edited by kdgilger on August 27, 2009)

(Message edited by kdgilger on August 27, 2009)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wee foal.... i don't think it will tell you if your mare has lost her foal

Yes it will. The source of the estrogen for which the WeeFoal kit is testing is the fetus, so no foal = no estrogen = negative test.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, I went back and looked at wee foal, and corrected myself above....

tracey whitehead
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, apparently the test is en route. She will be 115 days since last mating so I guess I should wait until 120 days to run the test, although posts on your forum suggest it's been used and accurate much earlier.

She seems like such a different horse....always starving, laying down more than usual and very, very cuddly.

I know the nail test is far from scientific but I have done it repeatedly (with different nails) and it swirls away. I also got my daughter to do it and it swirls!!

I will let you know the results when I have them .

Lesley Wilkie
Nursing Foal
Username: Lesley

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Tracey fingers crossed she is still pregnant. I used the wee foal test earlier this year when we suspected my mare was pregnant after being scanned by my vet and being told she was not in foal. My mare went on to produce a very healthy colt.

tracey whitehead
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Lesley

How far on was your mare was she was scanned? And how far on when you used the test?

I am still waiting for the test to arrive. It's a bank holiday on Monday so no post. If it arrives on Tuesday, she will be 119 days.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US