SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Late term abortion/premature placental separation?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Late term abortion/premature placental separation? « Previous Next »

Stephanie Wendorf
Neonate
Username: Darkhorse2572

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I have never posted before, I have enjoyed reading the threads for ages and have learned much through this site! Sadly, I have now found myself looking for answers or, perhaps, just needing to 'talk'!
Yesterday, one of my dear broodmares lost her late term foal to what we *think* was premature placental separation (?) I have been breeding for several years now, and have never experienced this type of loss before... The mare is a 6 yr old, experienced mother, no complications with her previous 2 pregnancies both of which resulted in perfectly happy, healthy foals... The colt was at 332 days, appeared to be normal and healthy.

Our mare went into labor and within just a few minutes, I could tell the delivery was not normal as right away the placenta was the first tissue coming out... The the vet was called immediately, and arrived promptly, delivering the foal with no additional complications... The foal was delivered stillborn, appeared healthy and well developed~ the mare showed no signs of anything abnormal happening at any point, and her labor was textbook... foal, placenta, etc all normal too.
We did take cultures/samples from the mare and the foal was sent up to the university for a necropsy, however I have not gotten any results back yet. (and won't for several weeks on the foal unfortunately)
While the vet assured me that there was nothing we did wrong, nothing we could have done differently to prevent this, etc., my question (of course) is WHY did this happen, and is there anything at all we can do to prevent this from happening again?
All of our horses are kept on regular vaccination schedules, wormed regularly, fed excellent quality feed, etc., and all are under the close supervision by our vet. We have 15 other broodmares, and the other 6 that were bred for 09 foals have all had normal, healthy, uncomplicated deliveries this season.
I would love to hear any and all possibilities, no matter how far reaching they may seem. For all the foals we have delivered up here over the years, this is something we have only read about and never experienced ourselves before now...sigh...

mary anne higgins
Yearling
Username: Mary_23

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sending you lots of hugs and sempathey
in your time of need.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately Stephanie, no matter how well cared for your herd is, these things just happen sometimes. It's terrible, but it's just a part of breeding. Consider yourself very fortunate for not having dealt with it before, and let's hope in the future you don't have to deal with it again. I know it's very hard to wonder if there was something that could have been done, but in this particular case, there is nothing. My very sincerest apologies for what you're going thru, I know how difficult it is. I will keep you and your mare in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't really know *why* red bag delivery happens, other than the placenta separating prematurly... as you said.

The best thing you can do in those red bag foalings is get the foal out QUICKLY. The oxygen supply has been cut off, so your working against the clock. My guess would be that likely the foal just suffocated.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am so sorry for you loss. I know how hard it can be, especially when you ses a perfect foal that died from lack of oxygen. My mare had a "red Bag Delivery" in 2006. It was her second foal, no problems with her first, she is my main riding horse and very well cared for, had regular vet checks and shots, but when the baby was to term she delivered and the placenta came out first and even though the baby was born as quickly as possible the filly just died from lack of oxygen. My neocropsy did not show anyting wrong with the foal but a culture did show an infection in my mare's utereus. She never displayed a discharge or anything to alert us to this condition. My vet felt pretty confident that was the cause of the premature seperation. So she was flushed and treated and then re cultered and a cystology and once she was clean we bred her again and in 2007 she delivered a healthy filly. I hope that something comes back from the vet, it does help some to know that there was a reason and it could be treated but it still was disappointing and sad. Keep us posted and let us know what happens. Hugs

Stephanie Wendorf
Neonate
Username: Darkhorse2572

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the support everyone!! The lab work came back clean for the mare, so I guess it was just "one of those things"... Hopefully it will be my first and last experience with losing a normal, full term foal :-(

Thanks again!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US