SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare aborted 2 times at 42 days...what to do?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Mare aborted 2 times at 42 days...what to do? « Previous Next »

Cynthia Lydon
Neonate
Username: Clydon

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare 2 years ago aborted at 42 days...I had the vet come ultrasound as she started acting really silly mare in heat-like....he saw the embryo which was too small and said she was loosing it, and she did. The next year she did not get pregnant. This year she got pregnant on first cycle. 2 days ago, after 2 positive ultrasounds at 18 and 26 days, she started with the silly mare in heat thing again, and is now acting in strong heat (with discharge-infection?)
The vet at 18 days saw some fluid, but said not to worry. Fluid not apparent at second ultrasound.
Any thoughts on why abort 2 times with same timing? What steps to take? Is it too late to try to rebreed her?
Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were my mare, I'd start with a uterine biopsy and culture. Abortions in the time frame you are suggesting are commonly associated with endometrial fibrotic changes, which can be identified per biopsy.

Cynthia Lydon
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biopsy done last summer after unsuccessful breeding attempts. Grade II, some eosinophils. Culture neg. Mare is 8, maiden.

Ann
Yearling
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried Regumate? I would put this mare on that 5 days after breeding. Also, some folks use aspirin in pregnant mares for the first 40 days of pregnancy...it is supposed to increase blood flow to the uterus. We have one mare on aspirin therepay now. Whatever decide, good luck.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eosinophils can be suggestive of windsucking. Have you put a Caslick's procedure in? That might be worth doing.

Re: Regumate use: read the article first! :-)

Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article Jos suggested is good. As far as regumate, I would suggest talkig to your vet who is in the best position to make the decision since he/she will see your horse.

I do disagree with the progesterone bit tho'. I have on several occassions seen mares with mid-range numbers lose foals within 30 days ater a confirmed embyo.

I think that the article is more for folks who are considering putting mare on Regumate from the jump but in your case with 2 EED's, I would suggest (I am not a vet) that the fact that a culture has been done with negative results and there have been 2 EED's in this mare suggests that Regumate would be a good choice to try.

Of course the final decision is yours (and your vet's) but 2 EED's in 2 years is frustrating, expensive and I think at this point, you should try some other measures.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Cynthia Lydon
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my local vet took a culture (no cytology, he doesn't do that...grrrr) will have results in a few days. He recommends short cycling and putting her on regumate as soon pregnancy confirmed. I did read the article and after thinking about it, I have decided I am definitely one of those breeders who needs the regumate, even if the mare doesn't...after 3 unsuccessful breeding seasons I am about ready to try anything. Last year we did the caslicks, but still no pregnancy.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total waste of money doing a culture with no cytology. You would have had the same degree of reliability of results if you had elected to do nothing at all, but saved the expense... :-(

Cynthia Lydon
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update
I bred the mare, scanned her in foal at 18 days and started her on regumate. Checked her still in foal at 35 days and just checked her at 59 days, everything looks fine. Yeah!!!!
Now, how long to keep her on the Regumate?

Ann
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We keep our mares on regumate through the pregancy but on decreasing doeses. Some people will stop part way through but we just don't want to chance it.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before I remove a mare from Regumate, I check Progesterone level with a blood test, then if the value is high enough I wean her gradually.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 100-120 days of pregnancy, progesterone levels should be base line and barely registering. Additionally, hormonal levels vary from day to day and indeed from hour to hour within the day. A decision made to continue supplementation based upon such a reading is invalid because (a) levels should be zero or close to zero at that point in the pregnancy; and (b) unless multiple readings are taken (i.e. multiple tests), there is no accuracy.

Lana Horton
Neonate
Username: Landandy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 24-year old mare due to foal in two months. She has been on Regumate since the beginning and I plan to start decreasing it when she has one month to go. I'm not taking any chances.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US