SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Blood spots -vulva - placentitis ?- Varocose Vein?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Blood spots -vulva - placentitis ?- Varocose Vein? « Previous Next »

dee potter
Neonate
Username: Lourdes_park

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Have a 18 yr old mare who is 4 months infoal
in the last few weeks she has developed a small amount of blood appearing under her tail
I called the vet and he said it was possibly Placentitis so she was put on pennicillian and Hormone injections
I noticed that the amounts of blood coming out had increased from a couple of drops to what looked like a smear every morning so I called the vet out again he did a rectal ultra sound
He said he was happy with the fluid and everything looked ok and we have started her on Regumate and trimadine powder (bts)
I am a bit unsure about all this

Is it placentitis ? or varacose veins ? I have tried to reasearch Placentitis for this early stage mare and cannot find any info on this it all relates to latter in the pregnancy not at 4-5 months
and if so are we doing the right thing by attempting to keep the foal viable ? My vet is very old school and basically said he would not look for varacose veins

Just confused if anyone can shed some light on this I would love to hear i t

(Message edited by lourdes_park on May 06, 2009)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Placentitis during earlier pregnancy is unusual. It usually manifests 5-6 months onwards.

The most common cause of vaginal blood leakage during pregnancy is a varicose vein. Placentitis is unlikely to present as blood leakage, but rather (if there is any discharge) as pus. Varicose veins can be easily checked for by a veterinarian knowledgeable about equine reproduction using a speculum.

You might want to seek a second opinion.

dee potter
Neonate
Username: Lourdes_park

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos

The colour of the discharge is just like blood stains a reddy brown colour on her white rug and did have a rosey pink colour to begin with

I have not seen any pus (yet) but will get a second opinion I requested that he look internally through the Speculum but he was very firm in stating that because the mare was 18 its placentitis and there was no way it could be anything else

(Message edited by lourdes_park on May 07, 2009)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2404
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Varicous veins are more likely to be seen in older mares.

You might want to consider using a different vet for repro.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US