SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

My first horse...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » My first horse... « Previous Next »

Terra Brand
Neonate
Username: Cosmo09

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Roxy was my first horse and I got her about a year ago. She was pregnant and due to foal at the end of the month so I started getting things ready. Then I got a call this morning that she had died giving birth... So I thought the foal had already been born and was okay. Well I got there and the foal was half out and half still in Roxy. It was horrible.. No vet was available! They had to cut my horse pretty much in half to finally get the filly out. We tried everything just to have her die too about an hour ago... They said the filly's back half was twisted a bit. Does anyone know what could have gone wrong? She has had foals before..

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, you poor thing! I am so sorry - what a terrible loss and traumatic experience. I can't help with the whys and whats, but I will keep you in my prayers. So sorry...

Terra Brand
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Terra. Sounds like it might have been a bad presentation like a dog sitter. I'm so sorry again that this happened to you.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW>..Terra...my deepest sympathy. How heartbreaking. I am sure you are so devastated. My heart and prayers go out to you. Warm hugs. Something must have gone wrong with the presentatnio like Ad says. It is very humbling that any of these sweet souls make it into this world. So sorry.

Mary Ayala
Nursing Foal
Username: Marya

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh how horrible. I'm so sorry, you have my prayers and sympathy.

Esther Johnson
Nursing Foal
Username: Estherj92

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry! I can only imagine how you must feel! Keeping you in my prayers. When you say the filly's 'back half was twisted', do you mean twisted in the birth canal or twisted, as in deformed?

Terra Brand
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all so much! I think it was twisted in the birth canal because when she came out she looked pretty ok

cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskippy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terra, I send my deepest sympathies. How tragic. Thankfully, they do not all turn out that way, but that doesn't change what you have had to endure.

Debbie Saxton
Neonate
Username: Deb1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just lost my foal in the same circumstances. It would have been my mares first foal. Luckily we were there when she went into labour and it took 2 vets quite some time }to pull the dead foal out by attaching rope to our beautiful fillys feet. Seeing my mare in that agony and the noises she made will haunt me for a long time. She was critically ill for 7 days and although we're not out of the woods yet, as least we still have her. Her foal was twisted inside her and had a back leg stuck. If we hadn't have been there, she would have died too. I want to send her to stud again, but I'm terrified the same thing will happen again and I don't know if I can take the chance?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My heart aches for you Debbie! I'm sick inside knowing the pain you're feeling. It will get easier as time goes on, but it's a slow and painful process. I'm so sorry for your terrible loss!

I believe if my maiden mare gets pregnant this year, I will take her to a vet her last month of pregnancy, to give birth. Jan O. did that and it seemed like a good idea and it worked well for her.

Again, I hope the pain of this nightmare fades and you have the strength to try again, if this is something you want to do in the future.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US