SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Waxing & Dripping Milk at 289 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Waxing & Dripping Milk at 289 days « Previous Next »

Alyssa
Neonate
Username: Abarngrover

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night my mare had a good amount of white wax on her teats, and it was obvious that she had been dripping milk all day. I noticed she had some bloody discharge earlier in the week, but my vet couldn't find anything and said it was from the varicose veins in the vaginal wall and I shouldn't worry about it. Her bloodwork came back normal, but we put her back on Regumate and Bute anyway. Is it normal for mares to drip milk and wax up at 289 days or should I be worried? The mare was palpated and ultrasounded, and the cervix was still closed tight and the foal was not in foaling posiiton. We also checked the foal's heartrate and it's around 104-108, which my vet said was a "low" normal. Should I be worried about my mare aborting the foal? Other than the waxing/dripping and discharge, she appears quiet, relaxed and normal.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the vet check for placentitis. Your mare may need antibiotics if she's got discharge and is running milk at 289 days. I'd be concerned about her aborting, it's not nomal for a mare to be waxing or dripping milk at 289 days. When the vet ultrasounded her did he check the thickeness of her placenta? She may have an infection and need antibiotics. Hopefully her infection will clear up

Alyssa
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, my vet took images to check the thickness of her placenta and it was 10mm thick, which I'm told is normal for her stage of gestation. I started my mare on antibiotics this morning as a precaution as well. I am concerned with her aborting, but are there cases of mares starting to drip milk this far in advance or does it always lead to abortion?

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 749
Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At 289 days that placenta thickeness may be a little high the CTUP (combined thickness of the uterus and the placenta)should be as follows less than Day 270 of gestation, less than 7mm thick, Day 270-300, less than 8mm, Day 301-330 less than 10 mm, Day 331 less than 12 mm. Her's should be less than 8mm thick. I think the antibiotics are a good idea. Has she stopped running milk?

(Message edited by ajvTBs on May 03, 2009)

Alyssa
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is still dripping milk, but it's slowed dramatically. Her milk has also gone from being white to almost clear with a bit of amber color. I took her to a local breeding clinic this morning, and they're going to watch and treat her until she foals. Thanks for your help!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best of luck Alyssa, keep us up dated on her progress. Hoping you have a healthy foal

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alyssa...that is good news that you took her to the clinic where she can be monitored and given the best of care. Good Luck..fingers crossed for a healthy foal!

Alyssa
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for their help and well wishes! My mare seems to be about the same, but every day she retains the pregnancy is good. Her 2nd set of blood tests all came back normal again, but she's still dripping a bit of milk with some discharge. Her appetite is still not as voracious as it should be, so we decided to put her on a stronger antibiotic and Succeed to see if that will eradicate whatever bug she may have and help her eat better. The vets are guessing at this point; she's somewhat of a mystery. Her symptoms point to placentitis, but all her tests come back normal. Thanks again for all your help!

Alyssa
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update - my mare aborted last Sunday. It turns out that she didn't have placentitis, but actually was carrying undetected twins, which is why she aborted. We've done a necropsy on the foals/placentas and testing on my mare; everything came back normal. It's devastating, but at least my mare is fine and healthy.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible news...and you are right, it is important to focus on your mare being healthy right now. So many have lost both a foal and a mare this year.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHH..Alyssa...I am so sorry :-( That is so devastating...but like Kathee says we are so glad that your mare pulled through okay...Hugs for you as you mourn your loss...Keep us posted if you decide to breed her back.

cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskippy

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry for your loss. Those twin pregnancies can be problematic, can't they? But I'm glad your mare is alright. Are you going to be able to breed her again soon, so you'll have a baby next year?

Karen Tait
Neonate
Username: Karendimples

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Alyssa. This is my first post. I just had to respond to your sad story as a similar thing happened to my mare last year. She presented problems at 300 days and we (my vet and I) were worried that she was going to abort. A scan showed the foal was alive so she was put on a course of antibiotics. She carried until 325 days after dripping milk for almost a week and delivered a small but beautiful black filly with a big white star that died during the birth. I know there was nothing I could do to save her as I called the vet as soon as I saw that my mare was in labour. I was absolutely devastated and I was so hurt for my mare as she had been such a good mum to her first foal. It was not until she delivered the afterbirth that the problem was found - a mummified twin about the size of a cat. The vet said that with it being a twin pregnancy, the mummified twin would have affected the development of the other. My mare had been scanned twice during the pregnancy but twins were not detected.
My mare was quite unwell for a day or so after but then started to cycle again normally so she was sent to stud.
She is now at 311 days and is doing well so far, if a little uncomfortable. I am very nervous about the birth when it comes and hope with all my heart all goes well.
I remember how numb, lost and sad I was after the loss and know how you must be feeling. I also felt I had let my mare down in some way and was sad for her as she had been such a good mum to her first foal. I got some comfort from reading other people's stories on the internet as I felt I was the only horse owner to have gone through such an experience.
I wish you all the best for the future x

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Karen...welcome to the board. In 2006 I lost a filly as well and it was heartbreaking but I too forged ahead with renewed hope and was blessed with a 2007 filly that I adore. I pray for the same outcome for you!

Ad TB
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Alyssa, it's always difficult to loose a foal, I've been there myself several times including this year. Hoping for a healthy foal for you Karen

Alyssa
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. My heart goes out to those of you who have lost foals and mares; it's very hard to go through. I have talked to the stallion owner and decided to rebreed my mare again this year. I am hoping that all goes well and I'll be able to celebrate the arrival of a healthy foal next Spring. Good luck to those of you with foals still due!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alyssa, how are things going now? Are you able to rebreed? I wish you the best.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US