SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Annie Aborted

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Annie Aborted « Previous Next »

Suzanne Paulette
Breeding Stock
Username: Spaulette0001

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annie aborted a beautiful sorrel filly early yesterday morning. All of the filly's intestines were on the outside of her body. We noticed Wednesday morning that Annie was acting colicy so we gave her 10ml of Banamine IM which perked her up a bit. A short time later I noticed she had a bloody discharge from her vulva so we called our repro vet. She came and did a spec exam and noted that her cervix was still tight but she had a vericose vein that was bleeding hence the discharge. She palped her rectally and got a good bounce from the baby and did an ultrasound and didn't see anything to be alarmed about. She was gasy on her right side so we thought maybe some gas colic and the baby in the wrong position.

Annie perked up throughout the day but around 1:30a.m we heard her cast in her stall. Her water had broke and she was having a red bag abortion. The filly had her head and one leg back and we were unable to correct on our own so again repro vet on the way. The short end of the story, two vets myself and my mother later we delivered the foal with the head back. Annie retained placenta so she was given oxytocinX3. She is very sore from the being cast and the ups and downs of the birth. We are keeping a close eye on her and are thankful that she is still with us.

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzanne, so sorry to hear about your loss, hope Annie is doing okay and pulls thru without any problems.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, Suzanne, this is terrible to hear. I hope everything is ok with your mare. Please keep us updated.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Suzanne, hope Annie is doing ok. How many days pregnant was she?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A horrible loss..we will be praying for Annie and your family.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deepest Sympathy on your loss..so sorry...that really sucks...I will be praying for Annie to have a full recovery.

michelle loring
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintedmini1

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH NO...I am so sorry! Praying for a speedy and full recovery for Annie!

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terribly sorry for your loss and best wishes for a quick recovery of your mare...take care of you

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

bonnie scott
Nursing Foal
Username: Litted

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww so sorry, my friends mare had the same thing happen years ago.. very sad to see.

Kelli Labbee
Neonate
Username: Kellimarie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry for your loss. My mare just had her first foal, (and my first foal experience) and I just cannot imagine going through this. My colt is a sorrel and so is the mare, I really feel bad for you. If there is anything at all I can do, please let me know. =0(

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzanne, I just saw this and realize it was almost two months ago that you lost the foal. But I want to say I'm so sorry.

Is Annie still okay? No infections or anything? Are you breeding her again this year? Of course it's okay if you don't want to answer all these questions.

It seems the only consolation is that the foal wouldn't have been able to survive if carried to term, I don't imagine. I don't even know if they would do surgery on a horse with that condition, like they do for humans.

But most of all, I'm sorry for your loss. It would be difficult to go through.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US