SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

COLIC OR ABORTING? HELP PLEASE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » COLIC OR ABORTING? HELP PLEASE « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I have never had a mare colic while in foal. I have a miniature mare age 5 (maiden) who yesterday was down and rolling alot. I went down, put her away, gave her some banamine, to settle her and keep her from rolling. She did alot of stretching out long, and pawing...but didn't roll anymore. After a while, She seemed to do alright last night, I offered her feed (not intending to feed her, but to see where we stand), and she refused it. I put her under the barn cam and watched her all night. I never saw her drink, though she picked thru some hay,and scattered it all over...Peed once, and finally sometime b/w 7 and 8 this morning pooped. I thought we were over the belly ache, and kept her in b/c of the rain today. She never acted bothered by it, never rolled, didn't get all stretched out, doesn't appear to be in pain, but here it is 11:30 pm, and she hasn't pooped since this morning. She is now biting her belly again, and switching her tail alot....but doesn't get down and roll. I have no idea what's going on with her....but have heard spontaneous abortion looks alot like colic. How would I know the difference? I took her out and walked her a bit, hoping the exercise would get her bowels moving, but haven't seen anything yet. She is drinking, and not running a fever...just not pooping still.
opinions?
thanks in advance

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and she's about 90 days prego

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,
I'm not very experienced with the problems she may experience if aborting but would imagine they would be colic like yet not very long lasting. I'm sure someone much more experience on that subject will jump in.
As for the colic though, which it sounds like she is having all the symptoms of.
A measure you may want to take that will be harmless no matter the case, but could prove very helpful is to mix up some electrolytes and give it to her. I usually take a large 60cc syringe and place some powdered electrolytes in it (about 1/3), fill the remainder with water, shake and administer. I often do this several times and give them more than they really need but it can't hurt and can be extremely helpful.
By administering it this way you also know that she got it all (or most)and can also give doses of just plain water as well (as much as she'll take). You can do it several times through the day or as often as you feel needed.
I've found it to be very beneficial to use along with the banamine. You are more or less trying to help flush the system and soften or move things along. Where I am, a big problem I watch for is horses tending to get colicky due to temp. changes and not drinking enough water.
Getting as much liquids in her as possible can do no harm but be very helpful and at worst give her a touch of diarhea.
I would play it on the safe side and treat it as colic which it very much sounds like until the vet could check her further.
Hope she is doing much better

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, after deciding I needed to go to bed....I went down and mixed up fiber, oil, and just a spot of her feed....knowing it could make things worse before they got better...and she started pooping like a machine. She seems well this morning, and may have been just a bit constipated. She is still biting her sides though? Everything else seems to be going well....

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Blossom colics on a regular basis. It all seems well for you now, but I suspect that you had an episode of colic versus an abortion thing. But I'm no expert by any means. I would do exactly what you're doing and include some oil in her feed for a couple of weeks just to keep things smooth. I have to put oil in Blossom's feed everday to help prevent colic with her. Don't know that its a veterinary approved method but she has always had this done, even when racing, since she had her first big colic episode as a two-year-old. It has cut down tremendously on her colic frequency. Just my thoughts for you.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks everyone....I don't know if I should keep her up on minimal hay or turn her out to graze today....she was all but wild when I got her, and if I turn everyone out but her, she goes insane....I don't know if this would make things worse.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: I would turn her out. Grass is easier than hay on the belly. Besides, she'll walk around and maybe that will help work her "inards" a bit.

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope your little mare is doing better Diana!

Joyce

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and here comes Joyce out of the blue!!!!
Where the heck have you been? How is Cookie? Did you get her bred?

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still come and read. :-) Cookie is awesome! I did breed her, and she is being checked by the repro Vet this Friday morning! She looks awesome!!

Now, how is your sick girl???

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I just saw this! I am so sorry! I hope your girl does ok. I have helped with a few colicky standard horses, and it sure sounds like that to me.
Another thing, we gave the horse mineral oil, the laxative kind, and then gave the horse salt. we just salted his tongue. This made the horse thirsty. I agree grass and turn out and periodically go out and walk her. I hope she is better. Let us know!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wELL, i guess my little mare will be ok. I put her out to pasture this afternoon, and will go put her in about 5. She'll be back under the camera as a "just in case" ...It just didn't look typical for colic. They usually get really bad, or banamine fixes them.....never seen one in between

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones I have seen one was really bad, actually colicked twice in the same day. It was due to impaction and fermenting whole corn. We had the going down, eyes rolling, having to whoop him with a stick to keep him up and moving kind. It was truly awful. Another one was gas and bloating, not so bad with movement to help pass the gas.

I was thinking, can you get a vet out to US? that would tell you the status of the pregnancy.

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GUESS WHAT??????

COOKIE IS PREGNANT!!!!!!!

What a difference a good repro Vet makes! Her last breeding day was 19 days ago. Hopefully all will go well and we will have a healthy foal around June 22nd next year!!!!!

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh in my joy, I forgot to ask how your Mare is Diana? Has she gotten over what ever it is she had?? I hope so!

Joyce

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPEE!!! Doing the Happy Dance for you Joyce! You deserve it. Welcome to longest 11 months of your life :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare is fine now, adn i am so excited for you and cookie!~!!!!
Jan is right....if you thought the time of NOT knowing was long, you're gonna LOVE this!

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad your mare is fine now, Diana!

OK, we are at day 19! Cookies former owner told me to go with 330 days, so my countdown is 311 days to go? Did I tell you I HATE winter more than anything in this world???? I live in New Hampshire, and I hate November-March! Thats a LONG TIME! I'm going to try to look at this positively! Everyday will be a day closer to my FIRST BABY EVER!!!!!!! I will be hooked up on marestare for sure so all of you can watch!! AND HELP!!! LOL!!!

I'm sure Bonny and Diana are on for the ride, Jan I hope you stay aboard! I will need everybodys help! I have such a good feeling about this it's crazy. Let the countdown begin!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!

Joyce

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, i'm so excited for you, and yeah...i'm here for the ride! Most of mine foal around 305-315....so you might be able to move it up just a bit...<wink!> Winter time is not my favorite either...and being a TX girl in my first winter in OK is going to be hard enough for me. I have one I bought from TX who is due in February....that's gonna be rough on BOTH of us! LOL!!! Thank goodness for test strips, equipage, and foaling cams! I spend as little time as possible at the barn in the cold weather!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 688
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, just logged in on the Abort topic. So glad your little girl is doing okay now! Must have been very worrisome.

One thing my neighbor told me to use, to prevent sand colic, is a supplement that has a lot of fiber in it. It is kind of expensive. Will post the name later, if anyone wants it. It's out in the tack room.

My mare has never colicked on me, although I just started giving her this recently. Lucky me-so far! But now, I don't use it very often. Instead, I lay down straw to put her hay on. The vet told me that would be a good preventative, and lots cheaper than the fiber pellets I buy. Her feeding area is very dusty. Of course I feed her grain, etc., in a pan.

I realize this probably has nothing to do with your mare, Diana, but since the pregnancy/colic issue is on the board, thought I'd mention it.

Joyce, I'm not familiar with your situation, but congrats! Will be fun watching all these mares' mommies, this season, now that I have a whole ONE foaling under my belt. LOL! Listen to me-I'm such a PRO now! HeHe.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, it's called psyllium....and adding that to a little feed with oil is what finally got her 'moving'....

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I guess I missed that. But I'm glad she is doing well now.

Joyce, Big Congrats! I don't know much about you, but I love it that there is someone having her, "first," foal, like a few of us did last year. Fun and more fun! It'll be great!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cj, although that mare is ok now, I have over the last 3 days, had another one colicking. I'm at my wits end, and paranoid about losing all my foals. I was unable to ultrasound the mare, as she is a nutcase, so I'll have to wait and see. The mare who is colicking now, seems to be getting better, and I hope her preg has been unaffected. I have had to change their grazing schedule, and pull them off the grass. With all the rain we've been having, there is a serious second season of laminitis around here. With minis, it's even harder to battle, so I have been limiting grazing. They're all pissed off at me, but it's for their own good. But the change has obviously been difficult on the mares.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, this is just a thought, but what if you bought some forage hay and let them eat more often? And give them electrolytes, so they drink more water? I used the forage hay to give my lactating mare, while trying to get weight off. She got some alfalfa, then pretty much free fed on the forage hay. It worked.

Anyway, I hope they are soon all better and that you have healthy foals. I'm rooting for you!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US