SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Disappointed

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Disappointed « Previous Next »

Jane Whritenour
Neonate
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I had the vet out to check Penny - since she started at act like her heat cycle was approaching. He did an US says what he sees isn't a normal 60 day pregnancy. It also looks as if she is about to go into heat as the right follicle was a pretty good size. He thinks she may have been preg but may be reabsorbing. He also sees some fluid. His suggestion was to not re-bred her this year as its pretty late. Next Spring when she goes into heat have her US to see if the fluid is gone & things are back to normal.
If not, we'll treat with a 3 day wash & oxytocine to remove fluid & go from there. ugh/

Boy, am I dissappointed - anybody got any ice cream.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane~ :-( Hugs...bummer...Spring will be hear before you know it though...

I would also make sure to do a cystology & culture before you begin breeding next year. Make sure you have the best uterus you can. Perhaps she does suffer from clearance issues I would check out Jos protocol for Oxytocin after breeding....may up your odds too. Hopefully you will hang around the board and pick up whatever you can and be ready to post when you start the process....

Jane Whritenour
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly intend too hang around. I have learned alot already. Who knows maybe he read it wrong- ( He said he missed twins - wasn't a good outcome lost both babies- full sized & term & mom had a tear) I'm just going to hang out and see what happens in the spring.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not want to get your hopes up, but I am going to issue a caution...

It is possible (not "definite") that by 60 days the fetus could have dropped over the pelvic brim and out of reach of the ultrasonographer, which could account for the presence of fluid - which would be amniotic fluid - but an apparent absence of a pregnancy.

The presence of a follicle at this stage is perfectly normal. The pregnancy (if present) is currently being supported by the presence of elevated levels of progesterone secreted from the secondary CL's, which are formed following the ovulation or luteinization of a follicle.

Remember too that some mares do display intermittent estrus during pregnancy. Having said that, if she continues to show obvious overt signs of estrus, and her cervix is found to be relaxed, then you are almost certainly out of luck... :-(

So... don't do anything radical right now, and have the mare checked again later on before you do. You could have her estrone sulfate/total estrogen blood levels checked after about 120 days and get a pretty reliable indication of pregnancy status at that point, or possibly have her palpated or ultrasounded by an experienced veterinarian after about 150 days or so of pregnancy (by which time the fetus should be more easily accessible to the palpator).

So don't overdo the ice cream just yet - although keep some handy in the freezer just in case... :-)

Jane Whritenour
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet said nothing about her cervix, Just did the US. He pointed out various things( both ovaries) ( could have been anything to me ) but I did see something round about tennisball size and black, also some wavy stuff that looked like intenstines (for lack of a better description)
I think I will wait to see if we have feet hit the ground in the spring - That will kill me but I guess time will tell.

Can anyone tell me in laymens terms what I saw.?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, just want to offer my condolenses.

But maybe Jos's guarded optimism will help you, huh? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Now then, I have Rocky Road and Mango ice cream. Which would you prefer?

Jane Whritenour
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mango sounds good. I still havent seen her go back into heat - I look several times a day. The horse our right out back so they are with in sight. She is still affectionate with me ( way out of character ) She prefers men up until now. Her bag is a little puffy toward her body not so much the teats- Its just going to drive me crazy for a while

Barbara Ritz
Weanling
Username: Spring

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I really sympathize with you because I have something similar. My mare was pronounced "in foal" at her 16 day and 35 day check. At 65 days, however, the vet said something had happened. She said the ovary was large, there was something in the rt horn, cervix was closed tight but she thought the pregnancy was gone. I was dejected but accepted the news. At day 75, the barn owner where the mare is staying now with her 4 month old foal, called to say that she had a different vet at her barn who had checked the mare and says she IS in foal! I was happy! Then I called the original vet to give her the news and she said it was very unlikely that the mare was in foal. She insisted that in 20 years she had never made such a mistake and that I shouldn't get my hopes up...now I am sad again. There is really nothing to do but wait and check at 150 days as Jos said. It is very frustrating though! I can see a vet "missing" a pregnancy but I don't see how another vet could see something that wasn't there. When paying $150 per visit/ultrasound I expect more accuracy. Hope you have a good outcome.

Jane Whritenour
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UGH!!! - Here's something else: Last night a local young man was here to visit my sons. By Local a mean a Georgia born young man( I am a transplant from a NJ neighborhood. ) I just love all my animals ( chickens, turkey and horse, dogs cats and children) Anyway I said to Hayden come look at Penny, I told him the whole story. He says she looks Pregnant to me at that point he milked one of her nipples and something liquid came out.Clear I think just a drop.

Now if she weren't pregnant - would this happen?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it could. Non-pregnant mares may lactate.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked back on this thread. Sorry that the mares don't seem to be pregnant. Can't a pregnancy blood test be done? Is there such a thing for horses? Or, what if you boarded them for a while at a breeding farm with a stallion you want them bred to, and see if they come in heat?

It just seems like a long time to wait to see if they are pregnant.

I don't blame you for being annoyed about paying for a possibly, wrong diagnosis.

Keep us posted, okay?

Jane Whritenour
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Nothing of any importance has occurred. Still no signs of heat. Her teet(teats) are a little puffy close to her abdomen and if you squeeze the left one fluid comes out of it. If she is preg. she would be somewhere around 84 days. The stallion she was bred too is a red/white paint. with white eyelashes. He lives down the street- she walked down the street for her date with him in June She is a sorell/chestnut white blaze on her nose & 4 white socks. I did the nail string thing I got it swinging in circles So I guess some time will tell.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 737
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny Jane! "...she walked down the street for her date with him..."

Sounds like she will have a beautiful baby if she is pregers.

As to the swinging nail-if they are not pregnant, it will also move. It is supposed to predict future pregnancies as well as recognizing past ones. It seems to ignore miscarages. I've used it on people a lot in the past and it always moved for me. I'm presuming it works with horses too. However, if they are pregnant, it only identifies the current sex of the baby (not past or future). Of course, that's all if you believe in that stuff in the first place. I usually got accurate results-probably 95% of the time. Anyway, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jane ...that would mean filly...we will wait and see :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane: Sorry, don't mean to butt in on the tail end of a conversation, LOL, but I'm bettin' that if she went "a-walkin" and found some excitement down the street with the local good-lookin' chap (and of course he must be good looking it wouldn't be just my personal bias of owning a sorrel/white paint stallion...hehehe), I'm taking the bet she's bred. (Keeping my fingers crossed for you.)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US