SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Resorbing? Worried!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Resorbing? Worried!! « Previous Next »

Karen W
Neonate
Username: All4paints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a 9 yr old mare that has 2 foals.1 by live cover 1 AI breeding.Trying the AI breeding again things aren't going as smoothly.... after 4th insemination & much cost invested.Just had mare ultrasounded for pregancy 17days on June24.Almost missed the pregancy as it was hiding in folds/waves of uterine edema? I was concerned about the fluid she hasn't showed fluid in uterus like that on previous scans.Not the best visualization but vet managed to get it well enough on screen to be measured & was at proper size for 17day pregancy.Well the following day & today I see my mare showing heat to a yearling filly who is also in heat.Is this normal or possible if she is pregnant or is this a indication that she maybe resorbing.I have her sheduled for another scan late next week.Double check for twins{has twinned once with first ever pregancy}Vet never visualized twin with this scan but with the edema possible to miss seeing.
I'm very worried that she is loosing this pregancy,are these heat signs & uterine edema normal?? This a seemingly healthy mare,great uterine tone,clean cultures,quality semen with optimal timing of inseminations I don't know why we are having so much trouble getting her to settle ,now pregancy seen but will she hang on??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 10% of mares will show estrus behaviour during pregnancy BUT significant uterine edema per u/s at day 17 is usually indicative that the mare is coming back into estrus, and you're going to lose the pregnancy. That coupled with the uterine fluid you reference would have me pretty concerned. Checking again is recommended, but don't be surprised if there's no pregnancy if the edema you're seeing now is significant.

BTW - mares don't "resorb". The cervix will open when she comes back into estrus, and the remnants of the conceptus/embryo/fetus (depending upon stage) will exit through it.

Karen W
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off I'm glad I found this site!Thanks Jos for your quick response,even though it reinforces my fears she is loosing the pregancy. Don't know if I confusing things saying uterine fluid & edema.I guess properly I should have just said there was edema which I though was significant as she never showed it like that on other scans,even all those when she was coming into estrus.Vet made notice/comment of the edema it but didn't raise alarm bells. Also it would be right on for her heat cycle to start but having just scanned a pregnacy the day before is that possible.I would have though at this early in the stages she either should have scanned empty or she should not have came into this heat on time??

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having the same issue. My mare with the crappy uterus had the exact same thing at 17 days. She will be checked again tonight, at 19 days. It seemed as though the pregnancy was moving around, which made the vet pretty sure she was losing it. I will post the results of the ultrasound tonight.

Karen W
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Samantha,yes let me know of your results. My mare is physically healthy,uterus looks great,great tone clean cultures. If she is loosing this pregnacy it is hormonal issues.I have noticed some hormonal like changes/behaviors in her. She was always textbook when she came into heat & had always shown very strong.thinking back to last year though there were some behaviour changes.Never showed heats strongly or consistantly,I passed it off as not having a proper teasing stallion{we had gelded the one & the younger one was her son which she wanted nothing to do with}.We shipped X2 with no settling,put the breeding off till this spring.In early March I noticed her dripping milk on & off,no bag just puffy nipples.that seemed to settle down & we took her in April to check for activity she had follicles but we got hit with some late snow storms & she didn't want to progress with her follicles.We lutylzed her & it helped to get her going & AI'd again not settled.I was going to give up,but she came into 2 heats on shedule & showed like her normal strong self{now we have no stallions was showing to yearling filly}I thought she is finally straightening out so we gave her one last go & this is the result!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish both of you luck and the pregnancy sticks. I know how frustrating these mares can be. I truly hope your mares stay pregnant for you and both of you have healthy pregnancies.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uterine edema and fluid are not the same thing, although either can be a bad portent in a pregnant mare.

A lot will depend upon the amount of edema present. Minimal edema does sometimes appear around the time when the mare would normally come back into estrus, and it is not an issue, but substantial edema is often an indication that there are problems and - as I note above - if she does come back into estrus and the cervix relaxes, then the pregnancy will be lost. Uterine edema is a normal indicator of estrus - mares develop it when they come into estrus, and it is used as an indicator of that stage of the cycle when using u/s at other times such as when breeding.

Mares that lose their pregnancies early on may be scanned "empty" (although technically, if they were pregnant, they're not - the conceptus ruptures, and the small pieces of tissue that are left behind are unlikely to be visible per u/s); they come back into estrus and the conceptus leaves through the cervix as described above; or if the conceptus dies ("EED"), then the mare may be on a delayed return to estrus, depending upon when the conceptus died. Around day 14 the mare undergoes a process called "maternal recognition", - which is pretty self-explanatory as to what it is - and once that has occurred, there may be a slight delay in return to estrus if the conceptus dies. It's not until about 30-35 days that if the pregnancy is lost there is a significant delay in return to estrus (up to 120 or so days).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US