SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Horrible News

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Horrible News « Previous Next »

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the vet came out yesterday morning and gave me bad news....

Sally was way, way over her dates, laying down alot, off her feed, just something not right and looked as if she was feeling bad. She'd have been 365 days tomorrow....and has always foaled close to 345 days...so I had her palpated.

Dumplin, who is 23, never gets big or a bag. Since she was around a week over her dates, I had her palpated.

In the spirit of being now gun-shy about the other two, I had Fancy palpated too. She would have been 345 days on 6/25.

I bred a maiden mare in April and 2 wks later we had a bad cold snap. I had her palpated to confirm pregnancy.

Results of Vet Palpations:
Sally-no baby, cervix seems closed
Dumplin-no baby
Fancy-no baby, cervix feels hard, as though she could be coming in heat
Dolly-no baby, also may be about to come in heat

I'm still in shock! I'm so glad Lady had little Sugar....

I've spoken to the stallion owners/managers, and they have been just great....I'm breeding back when they are ready. The vet said the drought was likely the cause, as there have been so many losses in this area because of it....mares dying, foals dying, both dying, and tons of spontaneous abortions. Seems their bodies just told them it wasn't feasable in such conditions and absorbed them.

Dumplin is officially retired and will be her beautiful self in the pasture from here on out. Sally (we think) is reacting to the really sudden hot temperatures and humidity....she's getting B-12 and mylanta to soothe her stomach a bit.

Thought I'd share with yall, as you've all been so great!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry:-( I can't believe that all of your horses lost their foals, what a streak of bad luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get them pregnant again.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's unbelievable, I'm so sorry to hear about all your mares being open. That stinks! I can't believe how much weather conditions affects these mares.

I hope you have very good luck from here on out.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, I am so sorry. Keeping my fingers crossed this season for you too!!

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks yall.
Sally is back to very slowly eating after a B-12. The mares are enjoying being out all the time now, not in the stall at night and out during the day.

I have 2 maiden mares I'm getting ready to breed. Dolly will be re-bred to the same stallion and Precious will be bred when she is healed from her accident at 2am Sunday....she somehow was impaled on something, but nobody can find what. She has SEVERAL stitches in her right side over a rib...vet told me if the rib hadn't stopped it or it had been at a different angle, she'd have collapsed a lung and died. She's moving well, just a bit sore...and runs from the penicillin injection every day. So she's feeling fairly well.....good enough to run Dolly off her feed!

The other three mares will be bred this fall.

I'm very thankful that Lady was able to foal Sugar without any more problems than she had. She is a great filly and is halter breaking very well. I've been spending a lot of time with her, so she'll lead like a pro by weaning time!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 739
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, I know that this is an old post, but I somehow missed it and wanted to respond. I'm so sorry your girls didn't get pregnant. How disappointing for not just one, but all four!

What is the status now? Please forgive me if you've updated us. I have some memory problems and am still trying to learn the names of at least the regulars, and their horses. I need to make a list, I think.

I'm hoping all are pregnant and doing well. I'm crossing my fingers for you and sending good vibes your way. And I think it is great that you are able to retire Dumplin to a lovely pasture for the rest of her days. And glad Sugar is coming along so nicely with halter training.

Anyway, wishing all is well your way.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US