SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Septic Pinching

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Septic Pinching « Previous Next »

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never had this happen but as they say, first time for everything. I had a mare who was great on Wednesday, we pinched a twin and went on about our business. I went to give Banamine last night for the pinching and she had projectile diarrhea so I put her in and gave her meds called my vet who was out this morning as I was not alarmed. This morning the mare had gotten worse so I took her to the University where she had to be put down, apparently she went septic from the twin pinching. Anybody else have this happen?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CATHY,
I'm sorry for your loss! She's running with all the others!

Take care,
L

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I'm sorry to hear about your mare, that's terrible! I'm surprised how fast she went from bad to worse. What a shame...

What does that mean she went septic? I've never heard of that before.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Septic meants a systemic infection. It can rage like wildfire in a short time.

Cathy: I am so sorry to hear that. I can't believe how fast it happened. (((hugs)))

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy~I have missed you posting on the board and I am SO SO sorry for your loss! Septic from a twin pinching? Was she bred back on foal heat ....could this have been something underlying and the procedure just compromised her to far? Hugs so sorry

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was a barren mare with a pretty good produce record. She cultured clean for her breeding and obviously got in foal, just too much for her....

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy- Oh my gosh, I am so sorry :-(

I have never even heard of that happening, again, so sorry for your loss.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The uterus and conceptus should be sterile, so creation of an infection in a sterile environment would be unlikely. I would ask for more details from the examining veterinarian at the University.

You might also want to ask if there was any trauma involving the rectum - a rupture into the peritoneal cavity perhaps... that would explain the septic condition... :-(

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I was talking with my husband last night about your terrible ordeal with your mare, his response was "the vet ruptured the rectum".

Regardless how it happened, it's extremely sad. Again, I'm so sorry...

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Cathy :-( My thoughts are with you.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys I just hate it when things spin out of my control.

Mood Swings
Breeding Stock
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Cathy I am so sorry for your loss :-( I have NEVER heard of such a thing! I would think the rectum being damaged by the procedure sounds more plausible. Again so sorry.

RIP to your mare :-(

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with Mood Swings....could her colon have been torn and she developed peritonitis from feces in the abdominal cavity? It does sound more logical....

Again, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be unlikely to have been a colon tear, but rather - as I noted above - damage to the rectum involving the peritoneal cavity.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US