SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare still in foal?? New to this any help would be apprecaited!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Mare still in foal?? New to this any help would be apprecaited!! « Previous Next »

Amy Harryman
Neonate
Username: Babbled911

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I am new to this board, new to the horse stuff. new to it all!! Here is my story/question. I bred my mare last April to a HORSE stud. The last date that she bred was April 20th, 2007. She went out of heat per the breader friend of ours. She came home. She never showed any interest for our male donkey(yes I know i could have missed it!!) Well with the stud HORSE she was due around March 28. She had some milk at that time dripping as she walked. Now here it is May 4th and milk is dried up and NO foal. Our vet came out last week and said she looks great shows no stress and bring her back to his hospital in 1 week if still no foal for palpation ect. Around the time of March 28th she had several episodes of what looked like contractions but then they went away after several hours. Vet says normal baby getting in place? Our vet also said he has seen the milk dry up due to hormones and it could bag up after foal. He says mare can go 1 year 3 weeks with a foal (if its the horse that took)If its donkey/mule we are right at 350 is days..he says.. She is still eating/drinking/running around with the others like no big deal. She displays NO stress whatso ever.. No fever, no discharge nothing.. Her butt.. has done the jello feeling thing since March so no change there.

SO questions...
Is this anything anyone has gone through??
Can she be carrying a dead foal??
What do I do next..
We do go to the hospital this Wed if still no foal..
Vet did say if we foal he will be here asap to run tests and check its well being.. he lives 1/4 mile from us and his hospital is that close the other way so we are fine there!!

any comments/ help would be so very appreciated.. I am lost with all this and so scattered with emotions this would have been our first foal(her 5th) I was excited now i am so down with exhaustion waiting!!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Amy, that's a tough one. The good thing is there is no discharge, no fever and is acting normal. Do you have a picture of her, I was wondering how big she is? I had a maiden mare bag pretty big up 10 days ago and now has no bag to speak of. Maybe your vet will ultra sound and see how long its ears are. Just joking, keep your spirits ups and let us know how the visit on Wednesday goes. I'm glad you have a vet so close to your farm.

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, I'm sorry you are having so many issues and that your foaling experience can't be less stressful. It's supposed to be such a joyful time of anticipation!

My mare Lady got her bag and lost it totally 9 (yes, 9) times within two weeks prior to foaling. The vet said it was hormones. Of course baby was large and in her way with respect to her colon and lungs and because of this, she progressed to colic and breathing difficulty for the duration of the last week, meaning handwalking for 3 hours every time she had to poop and no sleep for me!!! So, you are not alone!

I understand your exhaustion and worry! Proximity of the vet is a very positive thing for you, especially not knowing the date exactly. Does she have other signs of being ready to foal?

Visit the thread under Foaling and Immediate Post Foaling Issues and read the thread called Tim & Jon's foaling countdown.....there's something about DUHH syndrome there....it's what we humans get when we've been waiting on a mare and are slap-happy...Dysfunctional Undelivered Horse Handler's Syndrome....it'll make you laugh and it sounds like you need to do that for a minute to ease things!!!!

Keep us posted on how you and your mare are doing....and I hope she foals soon and without complications!

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to add that it is very unlikely she is carrying a dead foal as the first thing she would do is expel it.
Let's hope she has that lovely foal for you very soon, fingers crossed.

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all!! Beth it must be in the name because my mare is named Lady also!! :-) I will keep you all posted!!

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather thanks for the laugh on the ears thing.. My husband and kids had a bet against me from day 1 that it'll be a mule not the horse I paid for!! So we all got a laugh from that!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, If your mare was carrying a dead foal, you'd know it very quickly....they stress pretty hard, and roll constantly, sweating, and contracting. i too have had many mares bag up and then be gone . If she bagged in March (many mares do, even unpregnant ones) it was probably just seasonal, with warmer weather, transitional heat, etc. Let us know what the vet says, and I wouldn't count on the mule just yet...I have a mare at 375 days today, who has looked ready for a month!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not that I would insinuate that your prego mare would be in transitional heat....it's just the time of year that they usually do....and that sometimes causes bagging.

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Update.. Got in with vet a day early!! YEAH!! Lady, my mare is still carrying a living foal. They just palpated her, the vet is holding off the ultrasound due to the size of baby. He says that the baby is head up and in place. His tech said that means baby soon.. She told me that the head gets into place about 1 week or so before delivery. So we are getting somewhere now. I feel more at ease except for the who's the daddy thing :-) It is the laughing joke at our vet. Everyone now is thinking we have a mule.. the vet says even though we are at 382 days today for a horse it is still very possible..We are at about 360 days for a mule he thinks so who knows.. I have pictures of Lady but trying to figure out how to attach.. They will follow soon though.. I have even got a picture of the possible lucky stud, Boomer, the donkey :-) Thank you all for your posts I am a nervous wreck.. I dont think I worried this much with my kids ever!!!

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/P1010139.jpg
Possible daddy???

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/P1010135.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/P1010133.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/P1010132.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/babbled911/P1010129.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy...what a cute daddy possibility...mules are great . Can't wait to see what she produces...Very exciting that she is still preggers...

wanda
Weanling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Amy, I am kinda in the same situation as you..we adopted a mare that they said had a miscarriage (the rescue farm) and we had fostered her for a while for them and when she supposedly miscarried they decided to give her away...so we definitely wanted her..they knew she was pregnant before they rescued her and she had a filly with her...but low and behold..guess what she is still preggers...and we don't know the due date or what she is bred to...Good luck with your mare..I am sure it will be wonderful no matter who the daddy is...keep us posted..

Deborah E. Matusek
Neonate
Username: Laddeb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Amy, has your mare foaled yet? I, too, am waiting for my maiden mare to foal. She started bagging up 4/1/08--not due until June 5. She even had big globs of wax on 4/12/08, which scared me that she was going to abort. Today is 315 days and holdin' Good luck with your mare.

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy....any new baby news yet? Your mare is very pretty...I love liver chestnuts (have one of those who was just bred). That possible sire is so stinkin' cute!!! He looks like he has a lot of personality about him!!! Good luck on this new one!

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a HUGE bag today!!! Guess we are really getting close now!!! I will keep you updated

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy, did your mare have a foal last night?

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Amy

Hope everything is going good for your mare.
When the vet palpated and said the head is up, did he notice if it had large ears. If it is a colt you can call it Radar. Healthy foal vibes to you and your mare.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Amy,
hope you have a healthy foal soon, sending good foaling vibes your way!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 454
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, you're too funny!!! Radar!!! YOu crack me up!

Amy Harryman
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No foal yet.. but the bag is huge. you can not even see her teats for the engorged bag!! I have lots to do and am not able to be around to today and most of tomorrow so I am sure itll be then when we cant be here continuously!! luckily we have good neighbors that are watching.. (for months now!!) hahaha..this is our first (not her's) and i sure didnt want to miss it.

I do love that name Heather!! No matter what the sex it is or whether it is a mule / horse we named it ..It's about time...

I'll keep you all posted !! Thank everyone!!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the name Radar! lol Hey Amy, hope she doesn't foal in your absence, but you know how that goes. I swear they look around, don't see you hiding behind bushes or whatever and then it's hurry hurry before she gets back. lol

Good luck to you!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy...I hope that she holds out for you but if not hope all goes well, can't wait to see what you get :-)

penny viviers
Neonate
Username: Leopardspot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I have an Appy mare thats is now 377 days infoal, she is getting soft on her quaters and her belly has dropped she has not bagged up at all but her udder does however get a little hard at night then soft in the morning been doing this for a gd few weeks now,she has been fine she eats well is running around as normal, has a gd kick about so she is defernatly not stressed, but know I am, every day I check to see if anything happerning,but no I'm not that lucky yet, she is stabled every night and out during the day.she has been rubbing her tail and back end a lot it's as though she has a permanent itch, she has never been like this so today I dewormed her, but she was done about 5months ago, and it is safe with her being this far in her pregnancy.
I spoke to the vet they say as long as she is not stressed that there is nothing to worry about and that she can go to 400 days if need be, sure hope not can't wait that long as this one is driving me nuts already, so if anyone has any encouragement and luck to send me or suggestions it would be great.

Hi Amy hope you get a very healthy foal.}

Joyce Ensley
Weanling
Username: Goda_15

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penny I know the feeling my mare is at 389 days and no signs. I hope you have better luck. Amy I hope all goes well!

Tara Rear
Neonate
Username: Arablvr1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I hope she foaled by now. :-) What did she have Amy? Now I'm curious!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US