I am currently dealing with a mare with placentitis. We are currently treating her for it (uniprim,banamine and regumate) and she is holding steady now at 290 days with her udder having gone done a bit and discharge no longer. My question is, is it common for mares to have it recur each year once they have had it? Of course we will culture/cytology her and clean her up prior to breeding (she had a culture/cytology last year as well). Just wanted to rebreed her and was debating whether to risk using frozen on her or just see if she has a "normal" pregnancy next year before taking the gamble. What are other people's experiences with mares with placentitis? Once having it are they more prone to getting it again? Keeping my fingers crossed we can hold on to this foal until it is viable!
Likelihood of repetition will depend upon the cause.
If the cause is a compromised cervix - for example a tear from a previous foaling - and nothing is done to attempt to repair it, then it is likely to repeat. If there is some other possible cause for compromising of the cervix, then the use of Regumate throughout the pregnancy, and the use of 1 week of broad-spectrum antibiotics (TMP-SMZ's are often used) each month from 4 months of pregnancy onwards may be beneficial in controlling a likelihood of repetition.
WRT to your current pregnancy - be aware that mares that have had placentitis will often have a pregnancy duration at the shorter end of the spectrum, so be on your guard for an earlier (typically perfectly "full-term") foal. Also make sure you are there at the foaling, as placental attachment has been compromised, so a red-bag delivery is more likely.
Would a vet be able to tell if the cervix was compromised just from routine things? She has been ultrasounded and AI'd numerous times and not a word about it or do they have to exam it closer? Thanks for the heads up and we are watching her very closely. She is currently at my parents as there was not a good vet in my close area for foaling out. I am going to be down there from 310 days on as I am expecting her to possibly deliver anytime after that if she manages to hang on that long! <fingers> We will definately be there at foaling as I have done lots of reading in regards to a placentitis/red bad delivery and am very aware of the possibility. Are many of the foals born septic or do they seem to do o.k.? We will be pulling blood to check anyhow but just wondering.
can you explain the symptoms of this condition? what colour is the discharge? I have noticed my mares urine has changes colour and texture but noticed this stuff coming out at the end of a urination and wondered what it was 0 the vet is coming monday anyway but i have thought she was going into labout twice already, no foal as yet but dont even know whaen she is due. [IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/layla89glen/027.jpg[/IMG]
you can see a little of it on her vulva here, this was taken immidiately after urination.
The cervix must be evaluated for damage either manually or using a videoendoscope when the mare is not pregnant.
Foals have been exposed to a pathogen in utero and are therefore at higher risk for septicaemia. Prophylactic antibiotic therapy at birth may be warranted.
There may be no obvious external symptoms, or there may be inappropriate mammary development ad lactation (signs of impending abortion of many causes), or - more rarely - purulent cervical/vaginal discharge. It is worth considering that if there is discharge form the cervix then the cervix is already significantly compromised, and therefore the pregnancy is at greater risk. Ultrasonic evaluation of the combined thickness of the uterus and placenta ("CTUP") can indicate placentitis.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: