SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Aborting at 150 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Aborting at 150 days « Previous Next »

Samantha
Neonate
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have recently aquired a mare that has successfully had 4 healthy foals. After her last foal (sired by Zorn, who's EVA status is apparently unknown), she was bred again, and concieved successfully. Her blood test showed hormone levels that were not consistant with a pregnancy of 90 days (when she had the blood test done). She aborted a filly at 150 days. There was said to be a 75% chance of this mare getting in foal again. She was bred the next year and did not catch, I am not sure the details of the breeding that year, as I had left the barn where she was, but I know it was frozen semen. She was in a very stressful enviornment at her previous barn, she is much calmer and happier where I have her now. The problem is that she is older (18 this year). I am going to try and breed her in March.

But my question is; do you know what could have caused the abortion? As far as I know, she was an otherwise healthy mare. Any ideas? I am willing to go to great lengths to get this lovely mare in foal :]

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without performing a necropsy, one could not even possibly conjecture on what caused the abortion. There are too many possibilities.

One that you almost certainly can rule out though would be EVA from the stallion that you mention, as mares bred to EVA "shedding" stallions will not abort, although they themselves may be infectious for the 21-28 days after breeding and may cause other mares to abort. The only way that this mare cold have aborted due to EVA would be if she came into contact with an infectious animal within the preceding 30 days prior to the abortion, and even then only if she herself did not have elevated EAV antibody titres (note that EAV refers to the virus, while EVA refers to the disease).

A good starting point to go to with this mare prior to rebreeding would be a thorough breeding soundness evaluation, with an endometrial biopsy and culture.

Samantha
Neonate
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much do you think the horse's stress level has to do with it? She was always weaving herself into a hole there, and was just generally an unhappy horse.

She is different now..... she hardly ever weaves, and has become good friends with one of my other broodmares, she is much calmer...

I know the chances could really be slim getting her in foal, as she hasnt had a foal for 6 years, and she is older, but like I mentioned above, I am willing to try everything

Thanks for the info on EVA :D

We are getting a uterine biopsy done as soon as she comes into heat for the first time this year :D

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stress is an individual factor that is mare-variable, so one cannot rule it out, but one would not necessarily include it at the top of the list either.

What blood tests were performed at 90 days that were "inconsistent with pregnancy"? That is a dicey time to be doing blood tests, as none are going to be conclusive at that point...

lindsey francis at least 6weeks left
Nursing Foal
Username: Madhouse1985

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

samantha my mare (before i bought her)had a foal at 9years and then was sent back to stud every year untill she was 20 she never took i bought her at 20 and shes now 23 and infoal from a yearling colt (escaped his field into mine) the people who used to race her told me she was barren she was very under weight when i got her she had been left in the field from the age of 9 lived out all winter with no shelter, rugs or extra feed other than grass for 11 years was only looked after properly when she went to stud. since ive had her shes much happyer lives in through the winter and has lots of feed.

i believe shes infoal because she happy healthy and gets lots of attention and has a stress free life plus she was bred naturaly in a field with no one watching they were left to get on with it.

i think you should keep trying she must be happier now i think that helps

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US