SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Infection in the pregnant mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Infection in the pregnant mare « Previous Next »

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate
Username: Kristyn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that was bred July 7th, so about 4 months along. She started having a white to yellowish discharge, so I new she probably had an infection and called the vet out. She is on antibiotics and the vet said she will most likely loose the foal. They drew blood and her hormone levels are all still indicating pregnancy. Because of the position of the foal at this point the vet can't tell on ultrasound if there is still a heartbeat or if it has already died. I am taking her temp daily and giving her the antibiotic. She seems to feel ok and her temp has been right around 100 so not teribly high.

Has anyone succesfully treated an infection during pregnancy this early and have the mare deliver a healthy foal?

Is there any hope at all?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had a mare with an infection once bred. We have to have clean cultures to breed to any stud, and I treat every mare post breeding with antibiotics. Once they culture clean I then apply caslicks.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you relying on the visual presence of external discharge alone to indicate an infection, or were there other diagnostic tools that confirmed it as well?

I ask, as by about 100 days of pregnancy, the fetus has started to secrete significant amounts of hormones, and one of the hormones it secretes is estrone sulfate. This then makes its way into the mare's system, and is excreted by the mare in her urine. Have you ever noticed that at certain stages of pregnancy with some mares their urine looks really thick and yellowy just like it does when she's in estrus ("heat")? That's the estrogen being secreted!

My point here is that with some mares, that estrogeny (is that a word? :-)) urine leaves some surface contamination, and some people mistake that for discharge from the uterus, when in fact it's perfectly normal.

Incidentally, the blood-hormone assay to determine pregnancy at ~100 days, which is what I assume you had checked, is for estrogens - and as those levels are directly related to fetal viability (seeing as it's the foal that secretes the estrogen) if the fetus is compromised (dead) then the estrogen levels drop almost immediately. My guess therefore is that the fetus is still viable if the test performed was for estrogens.

Her temperature isn't going to tell you anything in all likelihood anyway, as the uterus is a tremendously insulating organ - the uterus can be full of pus and the mare will be fine systemically; or conversely the mare can be sick, and the pregnancy perfectly OK. Evaluation of the placenta using ultrasound would be the diagnostic tool of choice in this situation - although 4 months is very early for placentitis. Another useful tool would be to actually look at the mare's cervix and vagina using a speculum to determine if there is in fact any discharge within the vaginal vault and if there is if it is coming from the cervix. Another diagnostic tool to consider would be to perform a cytology evaluation of a sample of the apparent discharge - if there are neutrophils present in large numbers then it is indeed an inflammatory discharge, but you might just find urine crystals... :-)

The antibiotics are a safe precaution in this situation even though you have not identified a pathogen. Randomly using antibiotics without a known pathogen present can result in the creation of a resistant organism, or even worse a superinfection (which is usually hell to try and clear up and often causes uterine damage), but when the mare is pregnant one of course does not have the luxury of evaluating the uterine condition with a culture and cytology smear of the uterine swab! If you perform a cytology smear on the "discharge" and find only urine crystals, you're probably safe stopping treatment with the antibiotics though! :-)

I hope I'm right and what you're seeing isn't as bad as you thought it was! :-)

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vet said the discharge was coming from the uterus. I arived just as she had finished looking her over, but I know she did an ultrasound and she could feel a bulge, just couldn't tell if there was a heartbeat. The estregen levels were good though so I think the foal is still alive, it's just a matter of if it is an infection, what will happen next.

The discharge was all balled and gunked up in her tail when I first noticed it, but that could have acumulated over a few days. Now that I have cleaned it out of her tail and checked it everyday it's not in the tail anymore.

So if it is really an infection, will she for sure loose this foal? The Vet felt she would, but I would like to know if there have been positive outcomes in this situation.

I did do a culture and cytology before breeding her, the first breeding didn't take, and then if I remeber right we ended up having to rebreed before the next culture results were in. The culture came back dirty right after we had bred her. The vet then came out and did antibiotics and she ended up needing a lavage. After that she recieved a caslicks. I did not notice any discharge at the time and everything seemd good. I thought the lavage was suppost to kill everything. I guess not. If this is the same infection though, wouldn't she have lost the foal a few months ago?

The Vet will be back to check her on Friday. I will ask her about doing a culture of the discharge.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See by treating blindly post breeding you have no idea if you got the infection cleared up or not. We culture right hen the mare begins to show signs of heat, the culture is looked at daily so by her second day of heat we usually know. If the mare comes up dirty we don't breed that heat, treat her, let her go out, usually short cycle her, then re-culture. This is knowledge your vet should have had, you never breed a dirty mare.

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I agree with you. I should have made sure there was a clean culture before she was bred.

(Message edited by Kristyn on November 09, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, My thoughts are with you as you go through this. How awful to have the worry going on. It sounds like you are doing all you can at this point and I will keep fingers and toes crossed that somehow this will work itsel out and your mare will carry to term. Keep us posted. You never know how your experience may aid someone else...so thanks for sharing

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn
When you did the first culture was she clean?
If she was clean why did she get dirty between the 1st and 2nd breeding? Does she suck air, bad conformation or poor stallion/AI management??
I'm not looking to place blame, just to prevent it from happening again.
I hope Jos is right about estrogen being secreted. Good luck.

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has poor conformation back their and gets a caslicks once confirmed in foal. Would it be a good idea to apply another caslicks soon after foaling on this mare, if we do a culture and it comes back clean? If that's a good idea, how soon after foaling?

The vet will be out to check her today. I will give an update after she looks at her. I'm hoping for some good news.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 855
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, Fingers crossed...hoping for good news!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thoughts your way Kristyn, let us know as soon as you can.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, I've been so busy this week, trying to get caught up from vacation. Kristyn, I've just read your posts, I'm hoping that your mare and foal are alright. Yes, please keep us informed as to what the vet says. Good luck and I also hope for good news. I will keep fingers crossed and toes. Thanks, Marilyn

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm back from the Vet visit. So far it's good news. The foal is alive and moving around. The placenta looks great and her cervix is shut tight. She does still have discharge coming from up by the cervix. The vet took a sample and it will be sent to the lab. I wont know anymore until mid week next week. So for now I am going to continue with the antibiotics twice a day and keep a close eye on her.

Thanks for the well wishes and concern, it helps. I will let you all know what I find out next week about the sample taken.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, I'm glad the pregnancy is progressing! I hope the results from the lab is something that's easily resolved. This breeding stuff is not for the weak that's for sure. So many things can and do go wrong. But the rewards in the end are worth every thing we go through.

Good luck Kristyn!

Marilyn

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sample needs to be evaluated for cytology rather than presence of a pathogen (culture) - a high percentage of samples taken from the vagina will yield an organism on culture, so that could be erroneous information in this situation. The cytology would be of value - if there are inflammatory cells present (esp. neutrophils), then you may have a problem. Make sure a cytology smear is prepared and read!

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I know I am waiting for two different results to come back. I'm guessing that would mean Cytology and a culture? I will definently ask my Vet to be sure. She had said if I remember right that one (I think the culture) would be ready Monday, but she would not hear until mid week on the other.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cytology smear takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare and review... :-( I'm guessing that what has been sent off if a sample for a "culture and sensitivity", which is of little use in this situation, as you won't know if the pathogen identified is a vaginal contaminant or of a true pathogenic nature... That's what you need the cytology smear for. :-( And knowledge of sensitivity to a particular antibiotic is useless if you don't know if it really is an organism that's causing the problem...

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what should my next move be? Should I ask my vet to come back out and do the cytology or would you recomend that I call my repro vet and see if she would come out and do the cytology? Or just wait and see what the results of the culture are first?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this were my mare - and note that I am not a veterinarian, nor am I "second guessing" your veterinarian - I would first like to know what the exudate looked like under the microscope. In other words whether it is urine crystals or pus. This can be achieved with the use of a cytology smear which is a quick and easy diagnostic method. In the event that I were to find the exudate was inflammatory material (pus), then it would be of interest to know what the possible pathogens are and what antibiotics were suitable for treatment.

As far as which vet you should use, I can't answer that specifically, not being versed with your various options... having said that... if I have a problem with my skeletal system, I'm going to an orthopedic surgeon; if I have a problem with my eyes, I'm going to an opthalmic surgeon; if I have a problem with.... well... as this is a reproductive problem, I'm sure you get the picture. :-)

Kristyn Sherman
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just spoke with the vet and the culture came back positive for Ecoli. You were correct that the sensitivity is the other result we are waiting for.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-coli is found in just about all manure. If you take a swab of just about any horse's butt and run a culture, you will get a positive for e-coli. This is exactly the scenario that I was concerned about - you now don't know if the culture results are relative to your situation, or if you ran a culture on a piece of manure... :-(

Contact your repro vet for a second opinion...

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sample was taken from the discharge or pus that was on the palm of her glove and came from inside the mare up by the cervix. Her hand was closed tight while she pulled it out. I don't know if that makes a difference or if it still could have been contaminated. The vet did say that the e coli is present in the manure and felt that is how she got contaminated. My mare has poor conformation back there.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 43% of ALL swabs taken from the vaginal vault will grow an organism of come sort on culture. Most of these samples will not be correlated to a uterine issue.

There is a very high possibility that what you have is a contaminant.

Get a second opinion from your repro vet...

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm trying to understand though. Do you mean a contaminant other than the e coli? If so, what does that mean as far as treatment and the risk to the foal? What else could the contaminant be? I have sent my Repro vet an e mail.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I mean the e-coli may be the contaminant and not require any treatment.

If... and I do say "if"... what you are seeing is in fact the high-estrogen urine that I mentioned above, then it is possible that the swab sample picked up the e-coli as a result of it being present from manure. You have to understand that "e-coli" isn't necessarily a particularly bad organism. People tend to panic when they hear it because they are familiar with the e-coli associated with the so-called "hamburger disease" or food poisoning, but there are many different strains of e-coli. It's also important to understand that the presence of an organism (note the different terminology - organism, not pathogen) doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything going on with a mare. As I observed above, about 43% of vaginal swabs will identify a growth on culture, but that doesn't mean that 43% or mares are infected! Another way to look at it that might perhaps make it more understandable would be that if you took a swab of your hands after mucking out the stalls in your barn or grooming your horse, you would quite possibly get a growth of e-coli on culture, but you're not sick!

So what I'm trying to say is that the presence of the e-coli in your mare's vagina may not be related to anything other than the fact that it's there - in other words it's not an indication of an infection, it's a contaminant.

As far as treatment is concerned, and the risk to the foal, the use of certain antibiotics may be detrimental to your foal, but I imagine (hope) that your vet has taken that into account, and is using one that is benign to the foal. If that is the case, then all that is really being affected is your pocketbook with an unnecessary treatment.

Hopefully your repro vet will be able to determine what is going on and assist you appropriately.

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos, that clears it up a bit for me. I will keep you updated on the situation.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, my mare is also tipped. She has a caslick. One month before her due date she is supposed to have it opened. During that month could she get an infection built up and cause an abortion or ?. How can I watch this situation? Kay

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chances of the establishment of a significant infection in that short a time period are negligible. The risks associated with not opening a Caslick's procedure at that point are significant.

Relax and open... :-)

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, I was wondering about this for some time. I'm glad we don't have to worry about this. It seems I worry way too much, regarding almost everything.

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Repro vet got back to me. She said Ella should have had a full Caslicks almost to the end. She said most Vet's just do the regular type and that this could be the reason she is infected if she truly is. She suggest giving her a full Caslicks. I thought it seemed much more open than what I remember from last year. She also needs to be on the antibiotics long term. On top of that she would put her on Regumate and Banamine.

This is what she had to say about ddoing a cytology now.
"A cytology likely would have told you that you had pus, and is very useful for Gram stain to know about the type of organism you have before the culture comes back, but now that a hand has been passed up in there it will be hard to know what was really the initial organism and what is contamination - so doing a cytology now likely will be of little benefit. So while it might have been helpful initially, it likely won't be helpful anymore." "The E coli may or may not be the cause of the infection, it may have been taken in on the vets hand when passing into the vagina."

I guess Ella's culture grew Beta Strep along with the e coli. The sensitivity came back for the e coli, but we are still waiting for the sensitivity on the Beta Strep. The E coli is sensitive to the antibiotic she's on already.

I guess since there is no way to tell for sure if she is really infectected or not, I will have to keep her on the antibiotics. I'm going to have her checked with ultrasound once a month as well. My Repro vet thought that at 4 months the placenta should be paper thin, and that most vets would not have measurments for 4 months. So if the Vet was going off measurements for a placenta that was closer to tearm, then her placenta may not be good after all.

So far she has not lost the baby yet, I'm going to have to really keep on this and hope for the best.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, I hope and pray that your little one will be safe. I feel so bad for you, having to worry this whole pregnancy. I will for sure keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, Wow, what a bummer. I will keep you and your mare and unborn in prayers as each month passes. Hopefully she will be able to carry to term. Looking hopefully towards a delivery have you thought a little about that. I know my mare in 2006 ended up with an undetected infection and delivered a full term filly dead because she did not show any signs of eminent foaling and the baby died for lack of oxygen. This year we caslicked and she delivered at the Equine Hospital. We took her there about 2 weeks before her "due" date. They opened th Caslick at that time, also put in a "foal alert". There is a vet on duty 24 hours a day so it gave me the piece of mind that I did all I could. I am happy to say that I have a beautiful little filly. But no more babies for my mare :-) Now when the filly is older??????? :-)

sharon hackel
Neonate
Username: Srhackel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some help understanding what the Repro vet said about the cytology. I am not really well versed in this so set me straight here please: I though a cytology would be a good thing because if you had pus(like the repro vet said you would know then) you would know if it was a contaminate or not by whether or not there were neutrophils(or other "fighting: cells) on the cytology smear. If there were none, then it is a contaminate (no body reaction fighting against them). If there were neutrophils then there is an infection becasue you can see the body is fighting them. That is the only way to tell because "of the hand passed up there" could have drug the e coli and strep on the way in or out.
Help me out to understand.

Kay B. Jones
Weanling
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jos! You relieved my mind. She's due March 1 and Repro vet said early Feb to open the caslick. Oh, girls, we're getting closer!!! Marilyn, I'm glad that question helped, too. I have learned sooooo much from everyone. I could spend hours on this website....come to think of it....I HAVE!!!

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, I took my mare to the vets ( a totaly different vet from both mentioned here) to foal this last May. I was really hoping to just leave her home for this one. She has had 6 foals so far and all have been healthy and delivered with no complications. I may have to look at taking her to the Vets again. I haven't thought about it to much yet, because I don't know if we will even make it to that point. If she hangs on to this foal a few more months I will have to figure out my plan. Last year ended up costing me about $1000.00 just in board and delivery. I was hoping to save money this year. I guess that's not going to be happening.

This mare is a nice Selle Francais mare who is approved for breeding with the ISR/Oldenburg registry. This years foal was a premium foal at the ISR/OLD inspection, so stupid me decided to breed her just one more time and take a stab at selling one. Last years foal was for me. I wasn't looking to make a profit, just enough to help offset the expense of keeping the mare and breeding her. I just really love breeding and raising the foal. Not that I didn't know that lots can happen with breeding, I just figured she had such an easy time with all the other foals that this would most likely be the same. Mostly I am just sad for the foal, I hope it makes it. A lot of thought was put into picking the stallion and I so badly want to see if this one is as nice as the last one.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Research by some has shown that Beta hemolytic streptococcus (of which Streptococcus equi, sub. zooepidemicus is one) is the most common pathogen/organism found in the equine reproductive tract.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn...I think you helped me in deciding to take my to the Equine hospital now that I that I am remembering :-) I think you posted after your foal was born and I asked you some questions because of my 2006 lost foal at delivery I was contemplating the hospital route. You had a colt? How is he doing? I opted for the hospital and piece of mind since this was going to be my final attempt to get a foal from my mare so thank you for helping me make that decision. My hospital stay was $1200... You are not stupid...I completly understand you have a quality mare and would like her to reproduce...I will keep my fingers & toes crossed and say a few prayers that it will work out.....

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, yes I remember our chat now. Glad I could help with that decision. It's expensive, but so worth the peice of mind. I thought my mare had a colt at first. It's a funny story. The Vets wife had called me and said my mare had a colt. I didn't think to look for myself when I got there, so all day I thought I had a colt. The next day the foals tail went swish and I thought, that's a funny looking colt. The Vet had filly on her chart, the wife had just made a mistake when she called. From now on I will take a look right away.

My filly is doing great. She is 6 months and everything I wanted. How did everything go with yours?

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a picture of this years foal. Her name is Falina.

[IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/ElfinDelight/Falina/IMG_3926.jpg[/IMG]

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, beautiful filly! Who's her sire? She looks a lot like my friends Hanovarian filly, her name is Fabilola out of Fabuleaux.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 871
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn...giggle...now I remember that too! But if I remember you were very pleased with the "sex" change? She is a stunner....just so so nice. My mare delivered 7/20 a chestnut filly and I could not be happier. I will take updated pictures this weekend and post them of Gracie. Of course my mares delivery was a piece of cake, they did remove her Caslick when she got there on 7/3 and then a little over 2 weeks and she delivered at 4 pm in the afternoon no problems with a full audience...go figure...Still I slept good those last two weeks :-) I am really pulling for your mare looking at that filly I see why you rebred her.

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, she is by the Hanoverian Fabuleux also. It's so funny because all his babies look very much the same. There were 3 other Fabuleux's at our inspection, and it was hard to tell them apart. Even looking at the proffesional pictures online, I have to really look hard to figure out if it's my filly or a sibling.

Jan, I would love to see pictures of your Gracie. Glad everything went smooth with the delivery.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, that is so funny! I breed Arabians, I really don't know much about Hanoverians other than what I have learned from my friend. I went to the inspection last year with her to get her filly branded and there were a couple other Fabuleux foals there and just like you said they all looked very similar. He definitely puts his stamp on his babies!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, that story is hilarious!!! That made me laugh and I needed a good laugh today.

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been awhile, but I thought I should let you all know the outcome. The mare with the infection lost the foal at the end of January despite constant antibiotics. She was almost 7 months along. Very sad, but a good learning experience. I'm done breeding for now, I already have my 07 filly that is more than I could have dreamed of. The mare is in the great hands of a warmblood breeder that I trust.

Best of luck to all those waiting for foals.

Kristyn

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, I'm sorry to hear that. :-(

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to hear you lost the foal. That just makes it so hard when they're so far along.

Thank you for letting us know what happened. How sad! :-(

Mood Swings
Breeding Stock
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry for your loss :-(

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn~BUMMER! How tragic. I am sure you are still feeling it. At least you have that filly you can put your energy into. Please post some pics of her! I am glad that you posted though!

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, my filly is so much fun. She is 10 1/2 months now. I have a 9 month picture I can share. I haven't taken any this month because she's starting to look more and more like a yearling.

Falina 9 months
[IMG]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o226/ElfinDelight/Falina/IMG_2107.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cute! Here is my gracie at 6 months
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x109/1frosty1/2007007.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x109/1frosty1/2007006.jpg

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristyn, sorry for your loss. I understand how it feels. My mare aborted @ 297 days. I went thru alot getting her to that point. At about 90 days along she had surgery for a fractured jaw. I was worried about all the drugs they had to use, but she came thru it. About 290 days she started bagging and the vet thought she had placentitis, so back on the drugs. But she lost it anyway. Besided the heartache I had about $6000 in breeding fees and vet bills.
On a lighter note, I see snow on the ground in the pic of your filly, and your bio says you are from Beaverton. I lived in Salem for a time, That snow is a strange site

Kristyn Sherman
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, your gracie is also very cute. I'm a sucker for a chestnut with a blaze. Glad she's doing well. I guess I could try to get some new pics of Falina. Well, a head shot at least

Linda, I was just in Salem a couple weekends ago for a horse show at the fair grounds. We actually got snow a few times this winter. We even had a dusting on Christmas day. I love snow pictures of horses, so I had to get some of Falina's first snow. I wish I took some better ones though, oh well.

Thank you all for your posts.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, Gracie is looking beautiful. Do you think she will go grey?...like big brother?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I will try and get some newer better pictures :-) Well we got through our first shed with no grey and her mane and tail are blonding out. But I am enjoying the chestnut but I am pretty sure she will probably end up greying. But she is a super sweet filly.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan O. I can't believe how big Gracie is. She is so pretty!!! Are you having fun with her? I never knew a chestnut could turn grey. What a sweetheart she is!!! :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn...pretty much anything can grey:-) Her older brother was bay with black points for 2 years with no sign of grey and then a few hairs and now he is a pretty dapple.

I think they are called rose grey as they grey out as chestnuts. My daughter hold out hope for that 12% chance of staying chestnut :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Jan and thanks for explaining the gray factor. I've learned something new again. :-)

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
Gracie is sooooo cute!!I cant believe how time as flown by! Spring had her 22 birthday yesterday! she is such a trooper! I HAVE BEEN BLESSED! If i didn't know better I wouldn't even know she's pregnant! At times I do realize her age and it makes me cry! I dont know if I could handle another heartbreak Loredo's was awful! On the flip side this site helped me heal! All you wonderful caring people! I feel like I have an email family! ok enough!

Jan take care as always it nice to hear from you can't wait to finally MEET YOU! at Fiesta of the Spanish horse!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie! So Glad that Spring is doing so well! I know I am excited to meet you too! Do you know where your booth will be? Gracie's older brother will be in the show :-)

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 580
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan and Laurie....please don't forget to post some pictures of the fun!!!!!!! I want to see Gracie's older brother in action.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US