SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Never had a horse and now have one that is pregnant

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Never had a horse and now have one that is pregnant « Previous Next »

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate
Username: Edythe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First let me say I have never had a horse before. I bought my daughter a 6 year old cute "fat" little red horse. After we got her home I took her to the vet to get her shots and all that stuff and the vet asked me when was the baby due. At first I was offened becouse I thought he was talking about me.}}
Now I need help. I am the only thing at my house to ever have a baby and I was not that good at that. I have read every book I can find on horses and am getting just a little info on pregnant horses. I would like some real life experiance. Any advice will be greatly appriciated.

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe
It seem like you have a good sense of humor, that's good, you'll need it. Where are you located at? Maybe we can hook you up with someone in your area. Did the vet give you an idea of how far along she is?

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe, do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions! :-) This site is a great resource and there are a lot of knowledgable people on here so you are definitely in the right direction. Like Heather said, do you have any idea when she is due?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 03:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask your vet about people in your area who know about foaling or maybe even yor vet. I would suggest pinpointing when she is due and send her to an experienced person. I have been foaling mares for over 25 years and things happen yearly that push me to the phone screaming or worse to the clinic. Anyone can foal a mare who foals easily but only a few can foal them when things are not text book.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe-
OH BOY, FUN!!!

I bet you have had fun reading through all these posts....it is nice that you joined in.

"Blessed are the Broodmares" is the best book...that you certainly will like, being an RN. It is an older book, but it is filled with information.

Here is a good website that shows you how to tell when the baby will be coming.

http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/foaling.htm

We can't wait to see pictures!

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone. I asked the vet and he told me the fetus was about between 25 to 28 weeks and that was on October the 1st.After he got done laughing when I asked "did she need to come in every two weeks for check ups" (I had to GO) he told me to stop fussing about it and in a couple months I would have a baby. But that is just not good enough for me. I burned the lady I bought her from voice mail up (she called me back finally) and she told me that on March 19th for one day her stud got over in to field with the girls. She also told me that she had had Baby checked and her vet said that she was not bred but she would take her back it I did not want her. But my 7 year old daughter can get a rope tie it to her halter climb up on the gate and slid over on her and ride her with nothing but a halter. She loves her and it would kill her and I might be crazy but I think Baby loves her to. Baleigh ( my daughter) goes out there every evening and that horse throws her head up and runs to the gate. She will strech her front and back legs as far apart as she can to get her belly rubs. Baby will stand for hours with her head over Baleigh's shoulder just hugging her. We are located in Northwest Louisiana just south of Shreveport. Also the lady told me that she had a baby last year just out in the pasture and was fine. My daughter only weighs 52 lbs. Is she going to hurt Baby by just walking her around in the field. She has been taking riding lessons for about 18 months so she knows how to correctly handle horses. At first I was like Oh My Gosh what have I gotten into, but I believe I can make it threw this now. I am going to look for some one here in my area that has experience foalng horses. I work 12 hour shifts so I am gone a lot. I warmly welcome any advice.

Thanks

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe,
Most people still ride their mares until the the last month or two so you should be fine for awhile yet. Yes, find someone in your area that can help and give advice. Also like others said read lots of books. If she was bred on March 19th then the foal would be due end of Febuary thru sometime in March.
Do you have any pictures of your mare to share. We all love pictures here.
Good Luck and keep us updated!!

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baleigh's 52 lbs will not hurt the mare to be walked around quietly bareback with a halter, a saddle and girth can be uncomfortable for pregant mares. The exerise and attention will do them both a world of good. I'm sure the mare will let Baleigh know when she has had enough. What a fantastic learning oppertunity for a child.

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl2004.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl2005.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl2008.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl2003.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl2006.jpg

this one is from when we went to look at her

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff315/edythewilcox/babygirl005.jpg

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 316
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is very pretty!!! What breed is she?

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you
I have no idea what she is. The people I got her from bought her at a sale 3 years ago and knew nothing about her.They bred her to their chocolate palamino and they seid she had a baby boy that looked just like his dad. Since this is the only stud they have I assume that he is the daddy of this one also. She has little white hairs all over her. At first I thought she was old (ya know salt and pepper like a old lady)but the the vet told me that was just her color. Someone told me that she gaits. She is not real big. On her Coggins test it says "Grade" for breed.

(Message edited by edythe on October 28, 2007)

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe, if her Coggins test says grade it means she's probably a mix of something. She looks like a quarter horse and if she gaits maybe a Tennesse Walker or Missouri Foxtrotter thrown in. Either way, she's very pretty!

Deborah Bills
Breeding Stock
Username: Jinty123

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe, Welcome. I was in your shoes not so long back. I bought a little mare and had her scanned as i thought she had ovarian problems. The scan revealed a foal which the vet said was due about late summer.(i am in the uk). Thats been and gone and i am still waiting. Just remember one thing, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to mares in foal. There are alot of helpful people on this site. You will hopefully get the advice and support that you need regarding your lovely mare and also mental support for yourself. I know i have. I dont know what i would have done without my friends on this site. We may be worlds apart regards state and country but its like having someone to talk to in you living room. Best of luck and i will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all. Debbie.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 831
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe, WELCOME! Was busy this weekend, my son's house was damaged this past week in Canyon Country, CA, very blessed though 7 neighbors houses were burned to the ground and his has minor damage but major smoke & ash so we are housing them while their house is being sterilized. Love having my grandbaby at the house :-) Enough drama. Your mare is very very pretty and looks to be very pregnant :-) Good news that she is not a maiden. Light riding is actually good for the mare. Keeping her fit will only aid in her delivery. Your daughter will absolutely love the whole experience. My daughter was 13 when my mare had her first baby 4 years ago and what a wonderful bonding experience for us all and now he is her horse and they are so in tune with each other. Chocolate palamino..nice. The book Blessed are The Broodmares is excellent. I about wore mine out. Exciting to see what you get :-)

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ORDERED THE BOOK TODAY
THANKS A BUNCH

Lisa Van Liew
Neonate
Username: Irideaqh

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe,

Very cute mare! I bought "Complete Foaling Manual" by Theresa Jones last spring when I was waiting for my mare to foal. It is an excellent book. Her website is great too and she will answer any questions you want to ask her as well as you can look at other people's questions and her answers.

http://www.completefoalingmanual.com/index.html

Good luck!

Lisa

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they are excellent books but we as professionals sort of joke about them because you as a nurse know there is so much not published that can and will happen. Get professional help.

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EDYTHE
The Foaling Primer is also a good book, easy to read and understand, lots of pictures and diagrams. Very informative without all the horror stories. Lots of info on handling the foal like teaching your foal to accept being paste wormed by practicing with apple sauce with a little molasses in a syringe. There are 2 on ebay for around $10 with shipping.

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to give everyone an update I have found a lady who raises Spotted Saddle Horses less then 2 miles from me, she has become my new BFF! She has something like 45 horses and 25-30 babies every year. OMG! She came over and spent an afternoon with me and watched me go about my daily routine. She told me I was doing everything I needed to and keep up the good work. She said that it would be best to keep Baby at my house where she was comfortable and knew her environment. When her horses start to have babies in January she is going to call me and let me come watch. She is going to come over every day and check her when Baby gets closer. She did suggest that I get baby a friend because she was used to being around a lot of other horses. She now has a goat friend. They get along great! She is getting HUGE! I know this sounds crazy but last night when I was rubbing her belly I swear I felt the baby moving! Is that possible? Just wondering. Have a great day!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe, how far along is Baby? It's definitely possible you felt the baby move if she's far enough along. How exciting!! Sounds like everything is going well and I'm so glad you found someone to help you. Keep us posted.

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady I got her from said the only time she was around her stud was on March 19th. So I am guessing about 8 months. I can not wait!!! I told my daughter that it it is born on Feb 14 we will have to name it Cupid! If I take her to get a ultrasound can they what sex the baby is?

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 488
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Edythe, your mare sure looks kind. I can see why your daughter fell in love so fast. She is a pretty mare. She's a nice age for foaling and since she's already had a foal, she will know what to do. I can imagine you were shocked to hear she was pregnant. Just think, you got two for the price of one. :-)

It's great you have a friend close by that can give you advice and be there for you. Birthing a foal can be a scary thing if something goes wrong. (which it most likely won't). But just the same, it will be so much better to have someone close whose a pro at the baby birthing thing. :-)

Please keep us posted how your Baby is doing.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Yearling
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Edythe, if she is about 8 months along, then the baby would be to big to see on the ultra sound. I saw the pictures you posted on October 28th and she looks pretty big. Is she starting to wax up yet?

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy (my Friend) said that she had a ways to go. She said she really isn't as big as I think she is Baby is really "short backed" so the foal has to come out sideways because it can not go long ways. I guess it makes since. short waisted people look bigger when pregnant. She has gotten so round that Baleigh only rides her bareback. Our vet said that 30 min 3-4 times a week just walking around the field is perfect for her. Baleigh is really small so Baby hardly knows she is back there. She loves peppermints and butterscotch hard candies, will they mess up her sugar levels just 1 or 2 a day? I do not want her to become diabetic. Do horses get diabetes?

Jane Olney-Nursemare foal adopt ?/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 472
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edythe-I am so glad you found a friend. She sounds like she will get you through!! I have been worrying about you, and am glad that you came back on.

EDYTHE CAMPBELL
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so much fun to read everyone's posts. I have gotten a lot of great info. Thank you to everyone! I will keep ya'll posted on Baby's progress.
Thanks a bunch,
Edythe

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US