SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Equine Flu

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Equine Flu « Previous Next »

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate
Username: Jennylynn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently in the grip of an equine flu outbreak in Australia. The problem with the outbreak is the horse population has never been exposed to equine flu so all horses are getting sick. We are currently in the middle of the breeding season with mares foaling and serving of mares. Could anyone tell me what threats are to the unborn foal and new featus?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly have no idea, we vaccinate for eqine flu so have never had it. I do know foals will go down hill a lot faster than a grown horse when in contact with a disease. Can you guys not vaccinate healthy hores?

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cathy, totally agree with you, vaccination would be the aswer however the Australia government has been twenty steps behind this virus since its outbreak four weeks ago. I am from South Africa (were we vaccinate) and when I heard about the outbreak in Sydney, I started saying we should vaccinate. However, the powers that be decided they would contain the virus and let it burn out. We have been placed in a stand still since the outbreak and last Friday all the horses on the farm came down with equine flu (that is over 200 horses). This virus has totally shut down the breeding and equine industry in Australia and they are now talking about vaccines but it is clearly too late for us and the foals and unborn featus'.

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jennifer. I to am in Australia and posted a similar thread with no response. From what I understand, it was decided not to vaccinate because vaccinated horses can still carry the flue and pass it on withthout showing signs. This could make it hard to track and could also mean an outbreak or new bloom freom a seamingly 'clean' envcireonmvenb

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma, this is what the powers that be will like you to believe. In South Africa the vaccination program was called off after 12 years of vaccinations with no reported cases. Within two years equine flu reappeared and hit the horses that had not been vaccinated. Those that were three years and older, did not get sick. Going to my Australia experience, we have 140 mares with 12 (within two years) recently arriving into Australia from England, Ireland and America. None of these mares have contracted equine flu. A major international stud farm in the Hunter Valley has reported that they have 153 mares of which 11 are Australian bred. All 11 mares have come down with equine flu while the others have not contracted the virus.

Beth
Neonate
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have read about the flu, pregnant mares who get the flu badly will abort the foal. New foals are more suspectible to the flu because their immune systems aren't as strong as adult horses. If new foals get this flu, they could die. Ederly horses are the same. I heard that a thirty year old gelding died from the flu, but that's the only death I've heard about.

Yvette Wilson
Neonate
Username: Conquest_park

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, I'm another Aussie breeder but small time (3 mares & 1 stallion). I have a maiden mare who got flu big time & is just getting over it. She is currently 10 days overdue for this foal & appears to have come into season yesterday. She is pretty big in the belly BUT has not bagged up or softened behind at ALL. She was manually checked at 8months & I was told she WAS in foal then. She is a VERY hormonal mare & was showy to the stallion across 2 paddocks, hence getting her checked. I phoned the vets today & because it's "non-urgent they will come out on Monday". Could she be carrying a dead foal? Is that possible that she's not aborted it if her being so sick has killed it? I live on a very clean 5 acres & there has definitely been NO aborted baby!! Hubby & I have tried to listen for a heartbeat with a stethoscope but there is SO much belly noise it was too hard. Advice anyone???

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While there is always a possibility that she is carrying a dead fetus, it is more likely that she - along with ALL other equids - is not aware of the human-imposed concept of a "due date"... :-)

There is no such thing as a "due date" in the equine species!!!

Take a look a the article on this site entitled "Is my mare overdue?" which should answer a lot of your questions (follow that link).

Oh - and one cannot externally check for fetal heartbeat in the equine.

Yvette Wilson
Neonate
Username: Conquest_park

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turns out my mare HAS lost her foal. The vet seems to think it has been gone for a few weeks - this statement due to the small size of her uterus. WHERE it is, that's the mystery that won't be solved... foxes or dogs I guess, were faster than me at detecting a problem.
The timing all correlates to the period she ran temps of 38.5+, so EI is probably the factor responsible, even though the vet won't commit to this statement, he did agree the high temp is "a possible cause of her aborting this baby"...
I bred another mare to my stallion in the same week & her foal was born a few days after the "calculated due date". This is the reason for my girl's EXPECTED foaling date. Both were maidens.
My kids were both born at times the Dr thought was "wrong", so I know that ANY babies arrive in their own time!!
Thanks anyway.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Yvette. That is heart breaking news. High temps are so dangerous when they're pregnant. My mare had high temps, but only for a rather short period of time early in her pregnancy. She's only 58 days today, so I'm still in the scary early pregnancy time.

I'm sure next time you'll be successful. Are you and the other Aussie horse owners able to vacinate for this virus now?

Marilyn

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Yvette. I also had a mare that lost a foal a few yrs back that we were unaware she lost until it was getting close to her "due date" and she wasn't changing like my other mare that was due around the same time. We never found her foal either, we figured coyotes must of gotten it. Hope things go better for you.

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette
I'm sorry your mare didn't give you a foal.
If she lost if that far along I'm suprize you didn't see some kind of discharge from the mare. In the past I have lost three, at 7, 9, 10 month along and all 3 time they had a discharge for 4-5 days afterward just like a mare that went full term. And they had milk, lots of milk?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US