SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare aborted at apprx 80 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Mare aborted at apprx 80 days « Previous Next »

Dorothy K Morris-Robinson
Neonate
Username: Dorothy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 7 year old mare got pregnant with AI and we checked her for pregnancy at about 2 months. We saw a pulse like a heart beat, but I could not define a form or shape. Vet said that was the conceptus. This was her first pregnancy. At three months she foundered, with no change in her care or feed. The vet put her on medication and left. Another vet from the same clinic came to x-ray her feet and decided to check and see if she was still pregnant. She was not. We had no sign that she had aborted, no evidence of anything, but the vet said that she had aborted and that the stress from that was probably the cause of the laminitis. This mare does not display at estrus, no showing, discharge or breeding behavior at all, so we cannot tell when she is coming in until she is examined. Question is: should the vet have done blood work to see if she needed harmones? Second question: How can we prepare her for breeding next year and care for her through it? Third question: Is she liable to founder again if she has a successful foaling?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Dorothy

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 320
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no bloocwork would have helped since more than likely this was stress induced and what happened would have no matter what. The best way to prepare her is to get her feet under good management so she is comfortable. And very important keep her weight light to almost skinny, to benegit her feet and skinny mares do get in foal faster than fat ones. As o how the pregnancy will effect her feet, who knows, some mares do well and others do not. Just remember weight is going to be her enemy.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many questions to say for sure. Most likely a complication (maybe a little placenta retained) from the loss of the foal caused your founder problem.

I would get her feet under control, then make the decision about breeding her.

If she has a normal pregnancy, I wouldn't expect founder issues.

Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare was not under stress of any kind. She is well cared for by knowledgable people. What could have caused the spontaneous abortion? My vet does not have a clue. According to her voiced opinion, "It is not like she lives in a stressful situation..."

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare Ruby slipped at 141 days last year. No stress her either. She looked great for her 16, 28, 60 ,and 120 day ultrasounds. We couldn't find the fetus so we will never know the cause.

There's just not a gurantee you're going to get a live foal.

Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet is still bewildered by the continuing symptoms of founder in the mare that aborted. She responds only to Banamine. He is considering a possible metabolic imbalance with excessive cortisoids (whatever that means) and will do blood work up. He attempted to flush her out but she has not even begun to loosen up enough for him to insert antibiotic and flush out. She is getting oral antibiotics now.

To Sharon...your mare's fetus disappeared too? Wonder where they get to.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is in a large pasture with a run in. I'm sure the coyotes, fox, dog, or some other animal took it before I could find it.

I would have been smaller than a beagle at that stage--very hard to find in a large pasture.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US