I'm not having a very good year with my two mares. One I can't seem to get pregnant and the other one was pregnant and now appears open after 55 days.
The one that was pregant, is a 15 year old Throughbred mare that had 5 previous live births. This past spring I did a biopsy, culture and cytology. The test came back with mild inflammation, but other wise clean. The vet flushed her with an antibiotic. She never showed any uterian fluid when ultrasounded. She is caslicked.
We bred her the first time this past spring, and it didn't take. The second time it took. We couldn't get her pregnant last year, so we were elated! I teared up when I saw she was pregnant at day 16.
At day 30, she was ultrasounded and showed a normal pregnancy with a heartbeat. We were on cloud nine.
Last Friday, at day 55, she was ultrasounded and nothing... she lost it. My husband and I are so bummed, I can't tell you how crushed we are.
A little backround on the mare:
We got her a couple of years ago. We bred her AI, and she took the first time and had a colt. This was last year. He was a beautiful chestnut colt, but at 6 months he had a pasture accident and died. We were devistated. This was our first foal. We tried to breed her while the colt was on her side, but she never did got pregnant last year. Which brings us to this year.
I know she can't be bred anymore this year, but was wondering, do you think she will have any more cycles this year? I would like to do another biopsy, culture and cytology before winter sets in.
I wish I knew what caused her to lose this pregnancy. That's the tough part, not knowing...
Has anyone been through this and could give me some insight? Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. What would you do if you were me?
If she was past about 35 days when she lost the pregnancy, she is unlikely to have any more cycles until what would have been about 120-150 days of pregnancy. If that puts her into fall transitional time, then she may well not cycle until next spring.
There wouldn't be much point in performing diagnostics this fall for a breeding next spring anyway - the cervix will be open all winter during winter anestrus, and the uterine condition can change. If you want to start earlier next year, plan on putting her under lights (follow that link for details) and doing the diagnostics in the spring.
I also wouldn't lose hope on this year's breeding yet. You are in a time frame when the pregnancy can start to get difficult to identify as it may be heading over the pelvic brim and out of reach of the ultrasonographer (this more commonly occurs a little later, but may happen as early as around 55-60 days). I would check her again after 150 days by ultrasound, or if you prefer, a blood test for estrone sulfate (or total estrogens) is reliable after about 100 days of pregnancy.
Jos, thanks so much for your advise. I will wait until spring and do the lab work early.
You gave me hope that it is possible she could be pregnant. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: