SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Two mares absorbing between 14 and 28 days - help!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Two mares absorbing between 14 and 28 days - help! « Previous Next »

Kristie Allen
Neonate
Username: Krallen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had 2 mares (the only 2 I'm breeding this year) absorb between 14 and 28 days and am pulling my hair out.

Mare one is 22 and has had many healthy pregnancies, usually getting pregnant on the first try. She does have some cysts and whatnot indicative of her 12 pregnancies, but looks quite good reproductively for her age. She was bred with fresh cooled semen and got pregnant. She was checked at 14 days, 20 days, and again at 33 days. She lost it between the 20 day check and the 33 day check. She was on regumate from about day 3.

Mare two (6 year old maiden) was bred once with frozen, came up open, bred again and checked at 14 days and was pregnant. Had a good looking embryo and CL and there's no indication regumate would be required. Checked at 28 days today and is open.

I've had an unusually stressful breeding season as far as keeping everything quiet and minimal changes. During mare 1's embryonic death, a new boarder with a mare and foal moved in the paddock next door, and mare one also got a new paddock mate. Upon seeing the new neighbor foal, mare one started dripping milk and stared at the foal for about 4 days.

During mare two's 14 and 28 days, mare 2 kicked down a gate and got in with different horses for a few hours, and showed a very mild colic the next day.

Is it stress that's causing this? While both stressors were odd for around my normally quiet farm, neither was that bad. I am just having really bad luck? Are there any weeds typically found in grass hay (in Colorado) that could cause this? The mares have been drylotted since getting bred, but I've had a few weeds in my hay. Also, both mares have recent clean cytology's and cultures. I've never had any embryonic loss in a mare before. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leading cause of EED in mares is endometritis which can be caused by a variety of things, but start by looking at the uterine condition (culture AND cytology), and then treat for breeding induced endometritis by using an oxytocin protocol.

Kristie Allen
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos -
Both mares were given oxytocin and the older one was also given a uterine lavage. Both mares have recent clean cultures and cytologys, and neither showed cloudy fluid pre or post breeding on the ultrasound. Speculum exams also showed nothing abnormal.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Kristie

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they go through the entire oxytocin protocol as presented in the article I linked to above? i.e. 0.5 to 1 ml every 6 hours? And if yes, then for how long after ovulation. When was it started (how soon before or after breeding?)

Kristie Allen
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh, the 22 year old just lost her second pregnancy at about 25 days. Again, she's been on regumate, and has a clean culture and cytology.

I use the equine repro lab at CSU for my breeding...yes, proper protocol for oxytocin was used. My vet there, Dr. Pat McCue thinks I'm just plain unlucky and having a bad year, but I don't know. This is my 3rd embryonic death this year in 2 mares. The younger maiden was bred again and will have her 14 day check next week.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristie,

How disappointing for you :-( I will keep my fingers crossed that the maiden will take and hold for you a least.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kritie,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune :-(
Both of my mares aborted around the 40 day mark this year :-(
I have never personally dealt with early embryonic loss before. Luckily I managed to get one of the mares in foal again the other gets the year off.
Wishing you better luck with your maiden and for next year!

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate
Username: Jennylynn

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I would not be too stressed with your current record Kristie. Your tests have all come back clear and it sounds like you have done everything possible to maintain the pregnancy. At 22 our old girl has excuses and I have found maidens can lose pregnancies for no apparent reason. Keep trying, if the same bad luck hits you the next time round, then stress and start trying to find out why.

kimberly folkner
Neonate
Username: Kimberly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that. Do you think age can be a factor in the older mare? I am not a horse breeder I've only bred 1 mare that was a few yrs back and she was weird. she had heat cycles all threw her pregnacy. Now I just bred my 4yr filly and afraid she misscarried. I havent had her checked yet but I will def. this week. Only change i noticed she is winking and some discharge not squating. she is the only horse on my property. this is her 1st foal can anyone help.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US