SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Should I put her on Regumate or should I wait and see???HELP!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Should I put her on Regumate or should I wait and see???HELP!! « Previous Next »

Powder coated
Neonate
Username: Powder_coated

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare aborted her foal at 7 months pregnancy in February. She did not show many signs that she was going to abort....her udder had a tiny bit of filling(it was such a small change)2 days days before she aborted but that was it. The foal and placenta was sent to have an autopsy done and they found nothing wrong with foal or placenta.

Nothing changed in my mares diet or life at the time and she was on a regular schedule for her progeny shots every 2 months (3,5,7,9 months). I have a closed herd an no other horses were coming or going at that time. My other pregnant mare was fine.

So fast forward 4 months....Vet said everything looked great with mare and gave the thumbs up to re-breed her this year. Mare caught first try using frozen semen and so far everything is looking good. Vet ultrasounded her the other day and her 30 day embryo is looking good with a good heart beat.

My question is....Should I put this mare on regumate for her pregnancy just as a precaution this time?
My vet thinks she will be fine to just leave her....but he did say it was up to me. He knows I am worried that this will happen again.

Any advice?

(Message edited by Powder_Coated on June 24, 2007)

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a tough question. I think regumate is good "insurance" if you will. This 2007 season, one of my mares aborted a gorgeous filly at 10 months, she was on regumate until 110 days or so, and I wish I'd kept her on until day 320. But, I still won't know if even that would have made a difference because the foal aborted because of a freak umbilical twist. Sometimes things happen for no reason at all. I think regumate is a good thing for some mares and it can help to produce fabulous individuals, but I'd trust the vet on this one. I would also consult a breeding manager of a large barn in the area, and a specialized equine repro. vet.

Powder coated
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kristin for your help...so sorry to hear about your mare! It is terrible to lose one so close to full term.

My vet is a great equine repro vet and has a lot of repro experience.
In the past we have both seen maiden mares abort with no reason found on post mortum and go on to have healthy foals the next time with out using regumate.

I think my vet thinks I worry to much and that she should be fine and not to waste my money on regumate.

I don't care as much about the wasting of money if it is something that can benefit my mare and foal. I just want to make sure I do everything for my mare so she will have a healthy foal.

I have a ton of experience working at large breeding farms as a foaling attendant and RVT. I have also worked with some wonderful repro vets as a RVT over the years. Regumate was used depending on the vet, mare and situation.

I'm just on the fence with this one....Things are just a bit different when it is your own mare and heart that is involved.

I just thought I would ask Jos what he thought about my situation and what he would do if he had my mare.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I check my "Regumate" mares for tone every 30 days when they are pregnant. When tone becomes flacid I then pull a few progesterone blood counts and if low then begin regumate then a few weeks after beginning regumate I check levels again to see if the regumate needs to be upped in dosage.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the article on the web site entitled Does My Mare Need Regumate? (follow that link).

Cathy - just so you know, after about 45 days of pregnancy the uterine tone is expected to decrease...

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it decreases but flacid or slippery?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The opposite of toned is going to be flaccid (hence as the uterus loses tone it will become more flaccid), but what the heck do you mean by "slippery"???? :-)

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet says when she feels this particular mare's uterus it feels slippery............. I suppose it just slides from her hand?

Kristin Buchanan
Nursing Foal
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powder Coated - What did you decide? I am now facing the very same issue. I have a 7 year old mare who has foaled out 3 times, the last time was in 2006. She has never been on regumate. For some reason, this year, she needs it. We pulled blood at 49 days, and she was a 5. Now, I am facing the keep her on regumate or wean her off debate. Both my vet and breeding manager say it's up to me. I am leaning towards keeping her on for a week, then testing her everyday as I wean her off. Good luck with your mare, not everyone has the patience for this, I just have to keep thinking of the foal next year! Kristin

Powder coated
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos and everyone for your help!

Well, Kristin I think I may wait a bit before I decide to put my mare on Regumate. I am now leaning towards putting her on regumate later in her pregnancey as an extra "insurance" as you will......
My vet also keeps saying it's up to me.....he did say in his last visit if I was that worried about her doing this again than it might be wise to but her on Regumate as a precaution measure.

So for now I will monitor her as we go and take blood samples from her to keep an eye on her P4 levels.

Fingers crossed that everything works out with your mare....I wish I could give you some advise to help you decide on what to do!

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate
Username: Jennylynn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, new on the forum but thought I would share my experience with regumate. I work on a big Thoroughbred stud farm in Australia and we have been using regumate on selected mares with great success. Once a mare has been tagged as a problem, ie she has slipped several times within a space of a few years, she has foaled a sick, prem foal, she has bagged up too early or has shown a discharge during pregnancy, the mare is scanned. The "problem" mares are scanned from 150 days (after having their three earlier scans to confirm pregnancy), and are scanned every 30 days until foaling. We pick up problems with the placenta, cervix and featus and once these problems have been diagnosed, we start the mare on Regumate and antiobiotics. In some cases when the pregnancy is at risk we give the mares as much as 80mls regumate a day. We have had great success with this method and have saved many valuable foals. However, we have discovered if a mare has not responded to the treatment, then it is best to let her abort the foal and treatment is withheld. The reason for this is we have worked hard at keeping a pregnancy going only to be greeted with a tiny foal that develops leg problems later on in life. It is a very hard decision but this is a treatment program that works very well but needs to be monitored by a vet with the scanner that is suitable.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US