Evelyn Wahl (Unregistered Guest)
|Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 04:35 pm: ||
The mare was 1 month early when the edema fliied to a greater than mantainable and to induce was the option to not loose both. The foal did not survive and the mare was really weak but now 1 1/2 months since still seems not quite recouped. Any suggestions
Post Number: 10066
|Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:52 am: ||
I believe you will find that the condition is actually "hydrops" (aka "placental hydrops" or "hydrops allantois").
It is generally agreed that the exact cause is not known, but that repetition in the same mare is unlikely.
If your mare is still apparently in an unrecovered condition, you should contemplate contacting a reproductive veterinarian.
Marilou (Unregistered Guest)
|Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:15 am: ||
Could you provide a bit more information on placental hydrops. This is also what happened to my mare this year when she aborted a perfectly formed nine-month old fetus. I had never heard of this. My vet informed me that it most likely won't happen again. I had noticed a large belly but my mare is big to begin. I also heard "gurgling" in the belly. Impending abortion was noted with premature bagging. Foal was dead when delivered. The umbilical cord also showed excessive torsion. Would this have contributed to the excess fluid. Stall was flooded with fluid.
Fortunately mare is OK and deemed heatlhy for rebreeding.
Any insight would be appreciate.
Jennifer Lynn Scott
Post Number: 2
|Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:31 pm: ||
I have just had a mare diagnosed as a Hydrops and she will be going into hospital today for a second opion. If the second vet agrees with my vet, she will be aborted. I have worked with horses for 15 years and have never seen one of these before so am very concerned about her.
Just to let you know the history. She is a mare that was imported from England last season in foal. She foaled a colt in quarentine and sent to me. The last week I noticed she is very heavy, with three months to go, and was not a happy horse. She was not eating well and often kicked at her very large tummy. Just walking her in from the paddock caused her respiration to increase. Upon rectal the vet could feel the uterus very tight and when scanned we were unable to find the featus. An abdonimal scan was preformed and we found a very small featus under huge stress (heart rate nearly 200 beats a minute).
It has been decided that if indeed the second vet agrees it would be safer for the mare to abort her in hospital so she can be placed on fluids during the progress which will also be controled.
I will let you know how she goes today
Post Number: 1
|Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:49 pm: ||
We had a mare with Hydrops Allantois and we hospitalized her to monitor her fluid development. She required 2 large bore IV"s when she foaled to prevent shock from setting in due to the large volume of fluid lost at foaling. We maintained the pregnancy until she was at day 315, but when she foaled they said she had a premature separation just prior. Saved the mare and lost the foal. Vets said often the mare is lost with this condition because of shock setting in. Mare was rebred without incidence and no repeat of the Hydrops Allntois.
Post Number: 88
|Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:50 pm: ||
Jennifer - wishing you luck with your mare.