SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

MY vet called this Hydrox

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » MY vet called this Hydrox « Previous Next »

Evelyn Wahl (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mare was 1 month early when the edema fliied to a greater than mantainable and to induce was the option to not loose both. The foal did not survive and the mare was really weak but now 1 1/2 months since still seems not quite recouped. Any suggestions

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10066
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you will find that the condition is actually "hydrops" (aka "placental hydrops" or "hydrops allantois").

It is generally agreed that the exact cause is not known, but that repetition in the same mare is unlikely.

If your mare is still apparently in an unrecovered condition, you should contemplate contacting a reproductive veterinarian.

Marilou (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos
Could you provide a bit more information on placental hydrops. This is also what happened to my mare this year when she aborted a perfectly formed nine-month old fetus. I had never heard of this. My vet informed me that it most likely won't happen again. I had noticed a large belly but my mare is big to begin. I also heard "gurgling" in the belly. Impending abortion was noted with premature bagging. Foal was dead when delivered. The umbilical cord also showed excessive torsion. Would this have contributed to the excess fluid. Stall was flooded with fluid.
Fortunately mare is OK and deemed heatlhy for rebreeding.
Any insight would be appreciate.
Thanks
Marilou

Jennifer Lynn Scott
Neonate
Username: Jennylynn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just had a mare diagnosed as a Hydrops and she will be going into hospital today for a second opion. If the second vet agrees with my vet, she will be aborted. I have worked with horses for 15 years and have never seen one of these before so am very concerned about her.
Just to let you know the history. She is a mare that was imported from England last season in foal. She foaled a colt in quarentine and sent to me. The last week I noticed she is very heavy, with three months to go, and was not a happy horse. She was not eating well and often kicked at her very large tummy. Just walking her in from the paddock caused her respiration to increase. Upon rectal the vet could feel the uterus very tight and when scanned we were unable to find the featus. An abdonimal scan was preformed and we found a very small featus under huge stress (heart rate nearly 200 beats a minute).
It has been decided that if indeed the second vet agrees it would be safer for the mare to abort her in hospital so she can be placed on fluids during the progress which will also be controled.
I will let you know how she goes today

Cheryl Standridge
Neonate
Username: Ourpaints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a mare with Hydrops Allantois and we hospitalized her to monitor her fluid development. She required 2 large bore IV"s when she foaled to prevent shock from setting in due to the large volume of fluid lost at foaling. We maintained the pregnancy until she was at day 315, but when she foaled they said she had a premature separation just prior. Saved the mare and lost the foal. Vets said often the mare is lost with this condition because of shock setting in. Mare was rebred without incidence and no repeat of the Hydrops Allntois.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer - wishing you luck with your mare.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US