SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Have any of you who have lost foals adopted a nursemare foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Have any of you who have lost foals adopted a nursemare foal? « Previous Next »

Jenny P
Breeding Stock
Username: Varda

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been talking to someone about the possibility of this for Star and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go for it! This place is in Ohio close to Cleveland. I have wanted to visit, but have not gotten there yet. http://www.lastchancecorral.org/index.html

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHHHHH...just saw your post that you are going to Lexington to get a baby!!!! Best of luck with the new member. He is so lucky to get you...and some MILK from his new Mom. Post pictures!!!!!!!! This can be his thread now!!!!

Cconner
Yearling
Username: Cconner

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny- I lost a mare giving birth 2 years ago and fortunately we found a mare that had lost her colt 2 days before (the owners had been milking her) and she ended up raising our colt. We ended up keeping the mare and bred her last year and had a beautiful filly this year(she is 4weeks old today). When the owners brought Granny (she was 18yrs old then) out, they couldn't hold her back. She wanted that baby and when she got to him she instantly started licking him and took him as her own. We only bred her last year because that is all she lives for is being a mom.

Good luck with everything. I must have missed what happened with your baby. Could you please update me. Anyways, good luck and best wishes to you that everything turns out as good for you as it did for me!

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many different things you can try, if a nurse mare cannot be found. Goats are wonderful companions! Some foals/horses are okay with goats, some are not. Another animal that has worked for me in the past is an aged gelding who has been around foals before, do not try a gelding who is at all dominant. You will see with both the goat and the gelding (adoptive grandpa)they will love to drink the foal milk replacer so be mindful of that! I wish you and your baby good luck! The BEST teacher for the foal would be a docile animal of the equine species.

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry if I jumped in on this thread! I just read your story after I posted on thread! I am so sorry about your foal... I lost on this year too, it is horrible. But, if this helps any, the mares do get over it almost quicker than we do. I hope your orphan foal finds a new mommy in your mare. I too felt like I had let down my Josie, and all of my other horses knew she was depressed, and were very comforting to her. I am so sorry and I wish you and the new orphan foal and your mare the best of luck.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny-everyone in my family has heard of Star and her new adopted baby. We discussed it at breakfast this morning. Please keep us all informed. You should be home by now...hope all is going well

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I would repeat this here in case you miss it in the other thread

Hope from tragedy. I talked to Annie from Eagle Hill Farm Equine Rescue. She has Annie's Little Orphans. She knew of a baby that was four days old in Lexington. It is a nurse mare foal. It's a belgium quarter horse filly. Her mom was taken from her two days ago. She was as sad and mopey as my Star. They were tube feeding her. We adopted her and loaded her into the trailer. A little while before we got home I took off my shirt and put on my friends jacket. I cut the shirt and put it on the filly whose name is now Hope. We got her home and rubbed her down with the clothes we used during the foaling. I spent a couple of hours going between Star and Hope and letting them get used to the smells. We had a good friend come over to help. We twitched Star and expressed a bit of milk, which we rubbed on Hope's ears, nose, back, and hiney. Then we let that eager baby try to nurse. After a couple of minutes our friend told me to go ahead and remove the twitch. I was so nervous that Star would hurt her. Instead she turned her head back and sniffed Hope's rear, then she started licking the little guy. Hope drank and drank then started playing all around Star's legs, back and forth under Star's tummy and nuzzling all over her neck. Then Hope got curious and started to walk off. Star started calling her back and stomping her feet. She was getting so upset that Hope was not right there with her. We had to rush her back up to Star and the rest, as they say, is history. Hope is now the baby of Star's heart, and Star the mama of Hope's. I will take pictures the next time I go out. Thank you all so so much for the kind thoughts and prayers. I will keep you posted on them.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cconner I hadn't really posted what happened yet. I was a bit too raw at first.
Friday morning at two o'clock my husband went to check on Star. He found her on the ground pushing and rushed back to get me. I threw on my clothes and booked it to the field. She was groaning and the baby's head and hooves came out. The bag immediately tore open and the foal was breathing, but gasping badly. I cleared her nose and mouth between pushes. Star stood up and walked a few steps and layed down to push, nothing budged. I went to assist. I was pulling both legs down just like you are supposed to as hard as I could and nothing happened. Meanwhile husband has vet on the way. We went through several sets of getting up and down and her pushing with me pulling to no avail. About two minutes before the vet arrived the baby stopped breathing. He got in and looked at her. At that point I was told to hold Star's head and with the next contraction the vet and my husband pulled. I know it hurt her sooo bad. She almost fell forward on top of me, but thankfully I think I had one of those massive adrenaline boosts, and almost a broken thumb. I held up the front end of her body supporting her with my body at her chest and my hand under her head. Suddenly there was a popping sound and the baby was free. The vet sent me to pick up the towels and he was rubbing on the baby still hopeful. When I handed him the towels he agreed it was gone and now we had to concentrate on mom who was then laying down. He gave her some pain medication and checked her over really good. She had a rather large piece of her cervix hanging out. She also had tears on vulva. Thankfully no evidence of r/v tearing. But she was so very cold. I sat holding her head while she was laying on the ground. I was terrified I was losing her. He kept listening with stethoscope and stopwatch, checking return on her gums. He gave her penicillin injection, and oxytocin to make her go on and pass the placenta. When he was satisfied he had done what he could he gave me instructions for her care. He told me one big hurdle was getting her on her feet again. It took a lot of falls and a lot encouragement. And quite honestly a lot of pleading tears on my part, but finally she surged to her feet in one big rush. Immediately she turned to her baby. She was stamping her foot, nudging, whinnying, doing all she could to get a response. The vet told us to leave the baby with her until daylight so she would accept it. It took longer. The baby was actually born around 2:30, we couldn't remove it until almost 9 that morning. She had given birth in an open part of the field very near the road. The school bus was due at 6:30 so I tried to at least cover the little angel so the kids wouldn't see, but star went ballistic. We ended up driving my best friends car into the field and blocking the view from the road. All this time she is still trying to get the baby up. Through all of it I was the only one allowed to touch her baby. I brought in a wagon and slowly worked it near. I took towels and finally got her to accept letting me cover her. I distracted her and got her to come up to the gate for feed while my friend and my husband put the baby in the wagon and wrapped towels over her. I talked to Star and was generally noisy until they snuck the baby out the back gate. Star spent the rest of that day standing where her baby lay, calling for it, and sniffing the ground. She was yelling at a light colored sign up the road for hours that I'm sure she thought was her baby. She had retained placenta for 6 hours. It required more oxytocin, a lot of work from the vet to get out, and flushing. She's still taking banamine, but looks and acts good now that she has little Hope. Until we got home with Hope she would lay around not even wanting to eat. She would just pace the path she took while trying to give birth over and over and over, or she would hide in the woods and lay down. Now there is life in her eyes again, she is wanting that feed something fierce, and loving this baby like you wouldn't believe. I'll be thankful to Annie and her little orphans forever. I really think Star was just giving up. I am also so hopeful that this baby keeps her from falling back into that depression. I hope this wasn't too much or too graphic, but it is what happened and it's not the norm by any means. Her foal was just huge. A beautiful little angel, but just too big. Her little ribs probably didn't make it through the first push.

Jennifer Cook
Yearling
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now I'm bawling Jenny. What a terrible thing for you and Star to have to go through and I am so sorry you had to. Thank God that little orphan filly came along when she did and I can't think of a more appropriate name.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny P,

I am glad you shared. I had a similar experience with my beloved mare last year. Their grief is overwhelming. Hope is a beautiful name. I am so happy and you blessed my week by your triumph in the face of a devastating circumstance. Can't wait to see pictures! Hope is what keeps us all going!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got me sobbing now. I am so happy and blessed by hearing that Star's story is taking a happy turn.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the pictures!

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/Varda_photos/

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Yeah for Star and Hope! Such a touching story.

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How adorable!! I am so glad things are working out.

Kris Lancaster
Breeding Stock
Username: Krisser

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my god I am shedding such tears of happiness for Star- it is so heartwarming!!! They look so adorable together on your beautiful farm!! You did the right thing for your mare- you are a great grandma!!!

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny-I am so glad that Star's horrific experience has a happy ending; for both Star and Hope. Thanks for telling yours and Star's story, I know that I takes a lot of courage just to think back to those moments. I think that Hope is such a cutie and Star looks happy to be a Mommy in the pics. Star is lucky to have such a great "Mom" like you!!

Jennifer Cook
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the photos Jenny! Star certainly looks content. She wanted to be a momma so bad didn't she? That photo of them walking together next to a pond - just beautiful!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny! YEA! What wonderful pictures! What a cutie patootie! Congrats on your successful union. Good job.

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all. I swear it seems to have lifted the entire communities spirits. I have ended up in the field most of the day. We have had more visitors to see this baby than we did for either of my children! I don't know half of them and have been overwhelmed by the kindness and compassion of everyone. She did so want to be a momma. My son didn't even know about her until he got off the bus this afternoon. He's six and he fell in love instantly. He had thought a foal would be puppy size and I had told him a long time ago he would not be able to pick one up and hold it. With all the grief in the past few days I had no idea that one of the first things he would say is, "You were right mommy I definately couldn't hold that baby!"

Jennifer Cook
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohhh, how sweet! Out of the mouths of babes!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Hope may grow bigger than MOM! Thanks for sharing with us, Jenny. She is beautiful!!! What a lucky girl!

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny - What a wonderfully uplifting story of Star and Hope. I am so happy that such devastating events can turn into something so wonderful. Thank you for caring so much about your mare and adopting that wonderful little filly Hope.

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny,
WONDERFUL!!! I am so happy Star has a baby to love. Keep us updated on them, and <<hugs>> to them both. -Ivy

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny, Thank you for sharing your story, I am very happy for Star, Hope, and your family! Belive it or not Hope WILL fill the void that Star has been feeling. I loved the pics and look out because Hope won't be little for long.

I told you earlier about a similar situation we were in 2 years ago. We did not own the mare that lost her filly but the owners said she was beside herself. The filly lived 2 days and when she died Granny stood by her trying to get her up. When they removed the filly from the stall to bury her, they said Granny looked so sad and lost. Our colt was born around 6am and momma died at birth. We tried to bottle him all day but he was so weak. Finally around 9pm we found out about Granny and I made the phone call and they brought her out at 11pm. She has arthritis and they said when they went to the barn they told her "lets go get your baby" and she took off for the trailer like a 3yr old. When she got to my house, she stormed off of the trailer and started nickering like she knew she had a job to do (raise a baby). She instantly started licking and talking to the colt but it took us 2 hours to get him to nurse. After that you couldn't tell she had lost her baby.
When it came time to wean, I didn't have any problems with the colt but I did with Granny. She did not want to let him go. All Granny lives for is to be a mom so that is what everyone is trying to give her. Her life would not be anything to her if she did not have a baby by her side! When you said you had a lot of people at your house, that was the way it was at our house for at least a week. Everyone in the area that has horses pretty much knew about Granny and Pine. In fact she has a beautiful filly with her right now (that cost us a ton of money- just so she could be a mom again) and when the baby is weaned the vet is taking Granny. He is the one that found her for me when we needed a momma and he is the one that helped us get her baby here this year (she bled for 5 months of her pregnancy). Things do have happy endings and I am glad I had one and am very warm hearted that every thing is working out with Star and Hope!

Here are pics of Granny and Pine 2 years ago.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/PineandGranny004.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/PineandGranny001.jpg

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the book, I just love happy endings!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for sharing that. I had a few people that told me she'd be fine in a day or two, but like Granny I think she needed to be a mom. I felt like I was losing Star with each minute that passed. I still worry continually about this baby and much like Star I begin to panic if she lays still for long. It's nice to see a little ear twitch. Your story of Granny gives me hope that this will work out well. Cheer cheer for Granny. She's a special little mommy.

I was worrying myself to death last night because I hadn't seen Hope poo. Had the vet out to look at her today and he said she and mom were doing wonderful. He wanted information on the nursemare farm she is from. He thought it was a great solution and I think after seeing those two out there he may start telling others about it. Maybe Little Angel's death will end up saving more than just our Hope. That would truly be amazing. There were several others there and they were all beautiful. If I had more mama's I would have wanted them all, but Hope was the one that was closest to what we were looking for and she captured the heart instantly with those sad little blue eyes. No longer sad eyed though :-)

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny, I just read everything about your ordeal. I am so glad for you that you and Star found Hope and that Hope found you. A bittersweet ending, anyway. All the best to you in everything in your horsey future!!!

Leia
Breeding Stock
Username: Leia

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I so so SOOOOO wish I knew about these foals needing a real "mom"!!!!! When we lost Sampson we should have gotten one for his mom Queen. She is the best mom and just looked so sad for quite a while without a little one and would have probably would have been soo much happier if she had another foal to love and protect. God, I just feel stupid for not looking into that!! And we could have given the foal a shot at love too!..

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Leia I'm so sorry. I was looking for ways to help Star and sort of stumbled into it by finding http://www.eaglehillfarm.com/ I was looking at their section on grieving mares. It wasn't stupid. You were grieving too. I know I was. It was starting to look like Star was going to be one of those mares that grieves herself to death. She wouldn't eat, just wanted to lay around. Vet said she was fine, but I knew she was feeling the loss sooo badly. Maybe my stumbling across Annie and posting here will give others a chance to do it. I wish I had known about it myself in time to help you and Queen :-(

Jenny P
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Queen still has milk it might not be too late. You could call Annie and see what she thinks.

Leia
Breeding Stock
Username: Leia

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenny P but no she has finally dried up. But I will tell you that I won't forget this again...but hopefully I will never be in this situation again either!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US