SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Should I try again?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Should I try again? « Previous Next »

Emma Newby
Neonate
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,

I have had my very special mare for 10 years now and she is 17 this May. 5 years ago she delivered a premature foal that did not get out of the sack and was not fully developed whilst she was out in the field about 8 weeks early after showing no signs at all.

I love the mare dearly and would love to breed from her but am really worried this may happen again. Should I try again and just put last time down to a terrible accident?

Thanks for your advice,

Emma

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emma,

I had sort of a similar experience with my beloved mare last year, although my mare went full term to deliver a still born foal. It turned out that she had an infection in her uterus. I was heartbroken but she was treated and rebred and is now 236 days into her pregnancy. I would get a repro vet to exam her and treat anything that may have caused this and then working closely with your vet if you decide to proceed. Good luck and let us know how it is going. Welcome to the Board, jan

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have a full repro exam done, including a biopsy, to give you an idea where you are at with the mare.

Remember that the sucessful carrying rate for mares is 65%, so even if she comes back perfect from the repro exam, there is always a chance that she will not carry to term.

Your vet can tell you best how to proceed with your mare. Good luck with your mare.

Leia
Weanling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are lots of reasons that a mare would foal early or abort and it is not necessarily something that is an issue now. I would have a repro vet look at her like the others suggested and see what they think about your mare. Bad things can happen when breeding horses, but it makes the good things even better when they all work out to bring a healthy foal into the world. If all is well with your mare be sure to follow all precautions during pregnancy (shots, worming and no fescue hay/pasture last 90 days) and chances are you will be fine!

Emma Newby
Neonate
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, I shall get the vet to do a thorough examination before sending to the stud. I think, as long as my vet is happy all is well, I will give it another go and keep fingers and toes crossed!

I also think I may send her back to stud for foaling so she is monitored, etc. Are there any thoughts as to how soon I should travel her after being covered and also how late to leave it to send her to a stud for foaling? I wouldn't want the travelling to cause a miscarriage. She is a very good traveller anyway (she loves going out to compete and practically pulls you up the ramp!)

Thanks again,

Emma

Rocio Hughes
Neonate
Username: Latina

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My now 14-yr-old KWPN mare (was not a maiden) delivered a dead foal, not out of the sack, at 319 days 2 years ago. Had all the tests done to try and find out why, nothing conclusive. Was checked, rebred and kept on Regumate for the whole pregancy and delivered a beautiful healthy filly at 335 days last year, after a red bag delivery. She is now 311 days and looks big. we have kept her on regumate too! We'll never know what happened and we don't know if Regumate helped!
Hope everything goes well with your mare and you eventually have a nice foal from her...

Jenny Anne Lewis
Neonate
Username: Txjj05

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have a very special mare that has lost her 2nd foal. She is 14 years old and at seven years old she was gored by one of my grandfathers buffalo. She suffered deep lashes to her hindquarters and side. It was a long recovery but she pulled through and was only left with two hindquarter scares and a chronic limp (due to the way her muscles and tendons healed. The vet said she is fine for light riding and as of two years ago he said she would be fine to breed.

Jenny Anne Lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

continuing... she carried her foal to term with no complications and the foal looked completely lively and healthy. I keep the my horse at my Uncles house while I attend college so I was not there to keep constant watch over her. The mare and foal were put in their own pasture. Three days later the foal died with no apparent reason. I tried again this season, the foal lived only for a day. Can anyone tell me what are all the possible reasons a mare miscarries, or why a healthy looking foal dies days after. The vet says

Jenny Anne Lewis
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...her wounds from the gore years ago should have no effect and she is clear of infection.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny,

I am so sorry for your loss. What a heartbreaker to lose two foals! It sounds like you are working with a vet. Did you have a neocropsy done on the foal? Again my deepest sympathy.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny- are you vaccinating the mare during her pregnancy for rhino? is there any chance that your pasture has fescue? There are many things other than the mare that can cause a foal to die shortly after it's born. It probably would have been wise to have a vet look at the foal you lost to try and determine the cause of death, that would have been very beneficial in preventing it from happening again. I would think ( in my lay-persons opinion ) that if the mare carries the foal to term, the problem doesn't lie with her reproductive ability but rather an outside issue. My first thought is rhino. I would not be afraid to try again with your mare but I'd make sure that everything was done by the book, if you've already done all those things, I think maybe I'd not put the mare thru another pregnancy. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Ev

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you test for RH compatibility for mare and stallion?

Beth
Neonate
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I wouldn't breed again from amare who had a bad abortion. One of my mares got cloic about 10 weeks from her due date earlier this year. The vet treated her and checked the cervix at the same time, wich was closed, about the middle of the day. Early that night, the mare aborted a colt which was born dead. The vet said it was likely caused by an infection in the uterus, but the vet advised that it would be better not to breed again. This was the mare's second foal and she is about 22 but was in good health

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The decision as to breed again or not should depend upon clinical factors rather than personal feelings. There are causes of abortion that may be repetitive such as placentitis associated with cervical incompetency that may not be preventable in future pregnancies, but there are other causes - such as abortions associated with an EVA infection - that will not be repeated in a future pregnancy. It is important therefore to get a good and thorough necropsy performed, and be sure to include not only the aborted fetus but also the fetal membranes (placenta etc.) that may well tell more than the fetus itself.

Having said that, if one is aware of a cause that may be repetitive, there may be instances where treatment during pregnancy could reduce the chances of repetition - in the case of the abortion due to placentitis associated with cervical incompetency for example, the use of periodic antibiotics during pregnancy coupled with progestin therapy can make a big difference.

There is no one answer to the question therefore. One needs to make an educated decision on a case-by-case basis.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US