SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Late term abortion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Late term abortion « Previous Next »

kim stewart
Neonate
Username: Baileysmom70

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I need any thoughts anyone might have on late term abortion. I have a 12 year old paint mare. We bought her 4years ago, maiden. Tried for two years to get her in foal using TCS. Never got her to take, seemed to pool fluid after every attempt, stallion ower was helpful changed extenders, but still no luck. had a biopsy of her uterus came back a 2b, our vet suggested live cover, hard to find a top quality stud in our area that will do that. I sent her to a friend in Canada who has a lovely hunt seat stallion and only does live cover, figured she could get a foal then send her back to me infoal the next year.
Sounded like a good plan for all of us. The mare was covered once and was in foal, seems the real thing worked. She aborted that foal in mid December at 9 months. We chalked it up to an act of god and tried again last year ,same thing one cover and pregnant. Aboorted second foal this January again at 9 months.
Sorry for the long post but a long on going situation.
When the mare went to Canada she was fully immunized. They do not immunize up there, so has had no rhino shots for 2+ years. They have mares coming and going on the farm but seem to have very good luck with 10+ healthy foals every year.
My friend does not wish to try a third time with this mare, too heart breaking. I am bringing her home before summer this year.
I have run all this by my vet and two other vets that were involved in trying to get her in foal here. All three feel this may be a rhino problem,my vet wants to test her blood and see if she is harboring it? I am very confused if she has rhino in her blood serum wouldnt the other mares she has been living with also be aborting their foals?
I know alot of what goes in in horse repo is in gods hands but I am also a firm believer in trying to find a reason for this misfortune. I would love to hear from anyone who might have thoughts on this situation. I love my mare who is a lovely girl with a nice show record and a great disposition, I guess I just cant give up on her being a mom.

Ruth
Yearling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she just can't support a foal to term?
I would think if it was a EHV problem that other mares would definitely be aborting too.
Sorry for your misfortune.

Cindy
Weanling
Username: Vanity

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A IIB uterus is not very good. With a IIB uterus your mare will likely have no problems conceiving but only has a 10-50% chance of carrying the foal to term. I am going to assume your mare is just not able to carry a foal to term and would not think it has anything to do with the rhino. You could continue trying and "may" get lucky once in a while but I would say there is a good chance that she will continue to lose them at the 9 month mark which is heartbreaking.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US