SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Abortion due to Umbilical twist?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Abortion due to Umbilical twist? « Previous Next »

Heidi Trautman
Neonate
Username: Pvperch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the second mare that we have had this happen with. Two foals in 13 years is good we know, but has anybody else had this happen?

Both mares seemed to get really full of fluid, looked like they were carrying twins BUT we knew they were not. One mare even bagged up before she aborted.

Both times the umbilical had at least 10 twists in it and the foal was about 7 months along. Looked very skinny.

Just wondering how common this was and if there were any other warning signs we could have looked for? I am sure it is not preventable, but is there a way to detect it early? Why would the mares balloon up with fluid like that?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. We are devastated by the loss of this foal.

Happy Holidays to all.

Heidi

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be well advised to send the aborted fetus off for a necropsy, along with the placenta and fetal membranes.

Depending upon the amount of fluid and swelling that you are seeing, you cold be describing a hydrallantoic situation. This is where the allantoic fluid increases in volume dramatically and fairly rapidly - often in a week or so. It does not necessarily end up with a spontaneous abortion (indeed, often abortion must be initiated), but can result in significant problems if the mare does not abort. You don't really define what "really full of fluid" means, as of course pregnant mares do have a significant amount of allantoic fluid present, so it is possible that what you were seeing was not a problem, but was the normal amount of fluid.

Mammary development is a perfectly normal precursor to abortion. It does not always happen, but very often does.

Unless the umbilicus had a significant amount of bruising in the region of a distinctive twist, then it is probably unlikely that torsion of the umbilicus was the problem (hence the need for the necropsy). The umbilicus is quite commonly convoluted and often appears to the lay person to have a significant number of twists in it, but that is quite usual.

60% of fetal growth occurs in the last 3 months of pregnancy, so a 7 month pregnancy would be quite likely to present with a "skinny foal" - it hasn't started it's maximal growth spurt yet.

If you still have the aborted fetus, save it and get it to the path lab. pronto. If your veterinarian is not able to get it to the path lab. right now, ask them how the lab. would like it preserved (probably frozen if you can't get an answer).

I doubt you're looking at an umbilical problem from the way you described it - but there are a huge number of possible reasons outside that.

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please help. My mare just aborted a beautiful filly at 10 months, we are doing a necropsy. The umbilical cord was so twisted, fluid was bagged in between the twists in the cord, and the cord at the belly of the fetus was very bruised. Other than the twisted cord, the foal was perfect. We'll find out if there was a bacteria or virus that may or could have done this. But, I just wanted to write that I am sorry to the other mare owners who have ever lost a foal, it is such a sad thing, and a shame. I just think of what Barbaro's owner said, "Grief is the price you pay for love."

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Kristin..
I am so sorry. Losing a foal is hard on the heart.

I lost a foal a few years back...the mare had "uterine inertia". It broke my heart.
So, yes....I (and many others on the board) do know how you feel.
I hope you get an answer from the necropsy that will help give you understanding.

Warm hugs out to you Kristin.
Heather

Elise Krueger
Weanling
Username: Elise

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless your heart Kristin.

This is so hard for you. We are all with you in your pain.

Elise

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristin, I am so sorry for your loss (((((((((HUGS)))))))) Heather is right there are a number of us who have lost foals. I lost twins last year with my mare (mare was US) but the twins were missed on 2 Ultrasounds. she aborted at 9 months along. time will heal the pain, but it will take time. your right about love and grief, but I would have better loved and lost then to never have loved at all (quoted). We are here for you...please accept our love and support during this diffecult time ((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristin,

I am so sorry for your loss. Last April I too lost a beautifula and perfect filly. It turned out to be due to a uterine infection. It broke my heart because she just looked like she was sleeping. The praise was that my mare was okay. So after a little time and getting my mare cleaned out we are now expecting a baby in August. My hope for you is that you too can look to the future! Jano

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the nice response. I did hear back from my vet, the abortion was due to an umbilical twist, the pathogen report not in yet, but, it is evident from the other vets at Littleton Large Animal Clinic that it was due to an umbilical twist. One of those things that you can't prevent. Good luck to all during this breeding and foaling season.

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had one question. I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that one of her broodmares had this happen three years in a row, has anyone ever heard of that, could the mare's uterine tone and/or tissue affect the twists? Thanks for any help on this.

Hannah MacDonald
Yearling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear your news Kristin, my thoughts are with you. I hope your mare is ok, and that is your saving grace in all of this.

Em Taylor
Neonate
Username: Dressagegurl

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Sorry Kristin.. :-(

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristin:

I too lost a foal last year. My Becky (now at day 300) lost hers somewhere between 3 and 5 months. I only have one mare, so all those months of expecting, and then to find out that it isnt going to happen is a huge disappointment.

My previous Mare lost her foal at 6 1/2 months. I have no idea what happened. I did take the foal for necropsy but nothing turned up. The foal was perfectly formed and pink skinned, no hair laid down yet. That was the first foal I was expecting so, of four pregnancies between 2 mares, I have one healthy foal on the ground and expecting one in about 40 or so days.

Im not sure what the mortality rate is in the wild horse world, or even what the rates are in our breeding world, but it doesnt seem to be much of a surprise to those seasoned horse breeders to lose foals year after year. FOr the rest of us, we pick ourselves up and plan for the next year and keep our fingers crossed and eyes open for the first signs of something not quite right. Even when we do get that precious healthy newborn foal, we always wonder what might have been or what kind of foal she might have had if things hadnt gone so terribly wrong.

Deb.

Lynne Kuehner
Neonate
Username: Shenandoah96

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb,

I know what you mean. I also lost twins to my only mare last year at 8 months. They were missed on several ultrasounds.

I acquired another mare and tried to breed both of them to the same stallion and only the new mare is pregnant. (I really want a foal out of the other mare! She just doesn't want to be a mom yet I guess!)

I am on foal watch for a late May foal with a maiden. I find myself watching her constantly and wondering what else can go wrong. With all the problems we hear and read about it's amazing the species ever made it!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said it Lynne.

Deb

Kay Baxter
Weanling
Username: Kaykay

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had a mare abort at 7.5 months on sunday. This foal also had a very bad twist right at the belly button. Its so heartbreaking. Im so sorry for your loss. My vet and other breeders say this is just one of those things that happen and theres nothing you can do.

Jennifer D
Weanling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh, you guys are making me so sad and terrified! I have been feeling for foal movement and not felt a thing for three weeks. My mare is approx 8 mos. Now I am going to be worried sick until I feel a kick or two. My heart goes out to you all.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay,

My sympathy to you for your loss. I lost a full term foal last year in April. It is heartbreaking. All the anticipation, excitement and hope. I encourage you not to give up and look forward to the future. My mare is just 6 months pregnant and I too wait with hope and worry. Hugs, jano

Kristin Buchanan
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay. I am so sorry, it is so sad. My mare is doing really well now, about a week later. We did get all of the tests back and they confirmed what I had already known, that the foal was aborted due to a severe twist. It is one of those things that we cannot anticipate or reverse, and it is heartbreaking. But, I am thankful that my mare's reproductive ability had been spared, as well as her life(most important). Kristin

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US