Here is the story......Mare is a healthy fit 4 year old maiden and we are trying to breed her with frozen semen.
First time breeding...went well sent her to a repro specialist when she had a 40 follicle. Vet cultured her and gave her desorelin and she ovulated around 32 hours after giving the injection. Culture came bad clean and vet bred her within 2 hours of ovulation. Next day mare was checked and uterus looked calm with no fluid. Vet flushed her just in case any left over semen and fluid was still in there. Mare come home and started on Regumate 3 days after being bred....I asked the vet why the regumate and she said it was just to make sure progestrone levels where good and she uses it as a precaution...if she is in foal she hopes to keep her that ways?? Any how she is the expert... I am not so I gave my mare the regumate. Day 14 mare was preg checked and instead of finding a foal she was full of fluid! Vet came back next day to culture mare again and flush her with antibiotics. Culture came back clean and mare's uterus looks free of fluid 2 days after being flushed. (second time breeding her)Mare develops a 45 follicle and is given desorelin and was just bred last night. Breeding went excellent vet bred her with in the hour post ovulation. Smeen looked good aroound 40% motiltiy. Mare was checked this morning and uterus looks good again with no fluid but her cervix is already starting to close. Vet wanted to flush her again just in case but her cervix is already to tight to try. Vet started her on oxytocin shots this morning and mare will be getting them every 4-6 hours until tomorrow.
My question are even though her cervix is starting to close so quickly will she be able to clear any fluids she may have if need be? Will oxytocin help her even though her cervex is closing so soon? Is there anything else I can do for this mare? Is this normal for a mare to start to close her cervix 12-14 hours after ovulation? Thanks
I've read that some mares produce uterine fluid when given Regumate. I would make sure your mare really needs it before you jump on the Regumate train. Once you get on it's hard to get off (I'm a recovering Regumate addict ).
I went through basically the same thing, except my mare has delayed clearacne issues (doesn't push out fliud well on her own). We dropped the Regumate, went to the oxytocin protocol (oxytocin 4x a day for 2.5 days starting 4-6 hours after breeding) and have our fingers crossed she gets checked July 10th.
There are mixed opinions on lavaging after breeding as well. If she is not holding fliud after breeding, I would not lavage. Esp. since she is not a 'dirty' mare.
If the cervix is closed, not much is going to get out, but oxytocin works quickly so she probably got some good out of the shots.
This website has a lot of good articles on these topics, I would browse through them and see what you think.
Thanks Sharon for your help! We had her on Oxytocin every 6 hours for 24 hours. Vet did not give mare any oxytocin until 10 hours after being bred.... so I hope it was not to late! Vet also wants me to put her on Regumate again??! I think I am going to hold off on that totally.The vet is a wonderful repro vet in our area, I just find it hard to tell them I don't want the Regumate!
Anyone else know if a mares cerix is closed can oxytocen help her any??Jos....help!Was it a waste of time to start her on Oxytocen 10-12 hours after breeding with a tight if not almost closed cervix?
You are beginning your Regumate way too soon. At 5 days post ovulation ultrasound your mare if she is at that point vacant of fluid then begin Regumate. Regumate does promote fluid. I REAlly see no reason to start and 4 year old maiden on it though. They should just be breed, ovulate and go.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: