OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Closed cervix, not pregnant

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Closed cervix, not pregnant « Previous Next »

liz levy
Neonate
Username: Cml

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am first time breeder. Planned to breed 20 yr old QH mare, previous foals 1998 and 1992. Knew I was taking a risk with trying to get her in foal, so I chose local stallion and checked her for breeding soundness. Everything looked great mare is in great condition besides being a touch overweight,(not much) just from lack of not being consistently worked over winter. I did not check her thyroid yet. Bred her live cover may 9, and 11. on the 13th she would not stand for stud again. Checked her ultrasound on may 31. Vet palpated and and made the comment "sure feels like she is pregnant", but then couldn't find anything on ultrasound. Vet couldn't confidently confirm ot deny pregnancy, and requested to ultrasound aqain in 3-4 days. Instead I brought to differant vet on june 5, ultrasound was done and he said she was not pregnant. She goes back to breeder and is given shot to induce estrus, but doesn't respond. Mare doesn't come into heat again until june 19. she stands for the stallion, he penetrates a few times, but won't ejaculate. they collect him and try to ai the mare. her cervix is tightly sealed. breeder is confused, it seems like mare may be pregnant, but she has been been checked twice. first vet wasn't confifent either way, second vet says maybe he missed it because it was done outside in the sun. What is going on? She will be rechecked june 28. am i dealing with a missed pregnancy or some hormone problem associated with an older mare? Why is her cervix sealed, why wouln't stallion ejaculate? This is a fertile experienced stallion. Note, she had a weird short heat cycle 2wks after being bred first time in may. We thought this was due to her being submissive in new turnout situation. Any suggesstion or similiar experiences?

cathy Cook
Weanling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She very well could be pregnant. When they tried to live cover what was her attitude? Maybe the stud knew better that is why he would not ejaculate.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a couple mares who are very closely related that will build a CL on both ovaries. If I don't catch them in the first two cycles of the year they "think" they are pregnant and will not come back in heat, even though they have breedable follicles. I have had limited success using hormones to manipulate their cycles, I have finally got two of them to come back in after a huge amout of estramate. However the most relable way to get them breed is just not to miss the first two cycles.

liz levy
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know what her attitude was for second live cover, I wasn't there. How bizzare would it be that two differant vets missed a pregnancy between 18-25 days? Is that even possible? I know some vets are better than others, but it just seems so strange to me.

liz levy
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know what her attitude was for second live cover, I wasn't there. How bizzare would it be that two differant vets missed a pregnancy between 18-25 days? Is that even possible? I know some vets are better than others, but it just seems so strange to me.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US