OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Abortions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Abortions « Previous Next »

MarkHines
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2000 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any suggestion to this abortion problem ?????

Medication and test given to brood mare prior to foaling year 2000

This mare is 15 years old and in excellent shape she has had eight foals. She has given birth to four foals in a roll on the same farm with no problems. She has aborted the last four in a roll on the same farm, three at 9 months, and one I didn't find.

1st abortion I gave Rhineomune vaccine and routine worming.
2nd abortion I gave no shots but did routine worming.
3rd abortion I gave Pneumabort 5th, 7th and 9th month and routine worming.
4th abortion follows below:

What I have done under the advise from several veterinarns:

Tested negative to Lepto Bacteria, but tested on the low end of the scale at 68 days.
Tested normal for hormone level at 68 days.
Was on a regular deworming schedule.
Mare was in excellent shape.
Has negative coggins test.
Given Streptomycin Sulfate Injection (A Lepto Bacteria Vaccination) at 68 days the Exp.date was 2 years out of date, but vaccine was frozen. (Note USDA took this off the market??). This was a Lepto Vaccine.
Give Lepto Titer shot once a month during pregnancy.
Give abortion shot 5th, 7th. and 8th month during pregnancy.
Remove mare from fescue grass at 8 months.
Aborted at 9 months 3 days.
The last time she aborted (this year) she bagged up three days before aborting.

This mare gets in foal real easy.
I have two small ponds that catches run off water on the farm?
I put out fresh (city water) everyday for her to drink.
There has been no other broodmares on the farm at ant time.
I took the last colt to the University Tennessee Vet. Hosp. Pathology Lab., and told the head Doctor in the pathology lab. all of the above. The results were: The colt test positive to Lepto Bacteria. My Vet. a highly recognized Equine Vet. told them, of course the colt tested positive, the mare was on a routine vaccination schedule, which would cause the colt to have a high reading to a Lepto Bacteria test. He offered to send them a blood sample of the mare but they declined, they were not interested in finding the cause of the abortion??? So the pathology report was inconclusive.

Things I've done, or not done, on the farm during the abortions which I wonder could contribute or solve this problem:

Never gave mare progesterone (reg-mate)
Never had a Caslick done on her.
Spray 2-4d on pasture to kill broadleaf, I remove mare from pasture one week as directions suggest.

Secret Farms
Mark Hines manager
Hines956@hotmail.com

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2001 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am learning the hard way about late term abortions. In my case, the cause was placentitus (sp?), i.e. an infection of the placenta that traveled up the vagina and entered the cervix. Site of the infection was in the cervical star. This is a leading cause of late term abortions. This particular mare was 17 and by that time (from my observation) a lot of these mares start to sag in the vulva and have a poor vaginal seal. The vet performed a 2nd degree Caslicks to improve the position of the cervix relative to the opening of the vagina. She also has the normal Caslicks to keep fecal material from running in. In addition, I would be doubly sure that the pregnant mare is kept fat as the fat helps prevent all that sagging that opens up the mare to let in more fecal material which could lead to infection. My suggestion to you is to get the vet to do a full repro. checkup including an ultrasound and biopsy. If she has a grade 3 biopsy, give up. If she has a better score, then have your vet at least put Caslicks in her if nothing else. The results of his exam will tell him what course of action to take. I'm very surprised that you mention that you have had advice from several vets and still don't have Caslicks put in your mare. Good Luck.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US