OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Ovarian Hematoma

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Ovarian Hematoma « Previous Next »

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(This has got to be the worst breeding season ever.)

My TB mare Ruby was inseminated yesterday, large softening follicle everything looked great. Earlier in the afternoon I noticed some ventral edema in front of her udder. When we checked her today to be sure she ovulated she has the Mother of All Hematomas.

My vet said that there is a small chance that she might take, and that the ovary is going to take months to recover.

Is there anything I need to be doing for her? She is very, understandibly, grumpy. Is she going to be ok?

Mary Anne Andresen
Neonate
Username: Abby

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having the same problem with my mare. I have not found any salution to this problem of recuring hematomas. Have you found a treatment yet ?

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I haven't. We are checking her July 10th, we will see how she's doing.

From what I've heard they are a rare thing, your mare is recurring--how often does it happen?

Mary Anne Andresen
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning , seems to happen on the right overy . First time she did this it was the right second heat missed , third heat right overy again withthe hematoma . Can't decide if I want to try again the fourth time around , or wait until next year. I,m about broke and very dishearted.
Mary Anne

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the good thing is that they seem to resolve most of the time with little damage to the ovary. Ruby was confirmed in foal yesterday--so if she ovulates there's hope. The hematoma had resolved by the 10th and she looks good.

I know what it's like to want the foal and have the mare go open. The mare that got me into breeding is open for the second year running now.

Maybe call it good and gather your resources--mental and otherwise for next year. Breeding can take a lot out of you can't it?

Mary Anne Andresen
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morning Sharon ,
Thanks for the input. I think I will call another vet and get his take on hematomas . Sorry to her your mare is still open .I guess I need to look on the up side of all this , I'm riding my mare again now that she is home and not costing me an arm and a leg tring to get in foal .
Mary Anne

Mary Anne Andresen
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi ,

Took my mare in to the vet , an sure as shootin she had another hematoma , this time on the left overy . Vet says wait until nest season and try again .
Hope all is well with you mares .

Mary Anne

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US