OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate or not?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Regumate or not? « Previous Next »

Joie Roddy
Neonate
Username: Joie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here I go again! My 24 YO Trakehner mare (biopsy report last year of 2A,good cytology, clean culture) was just checked in foal at 17 days. She was in foal last year late, and aborted somewhere near 30 days, and was on Regumate. This season, I decided to try again, no big hopes and dreams...but she settled on one cycle live cover with my stallion. She is currently NOT on Regumate, although I do use Imunall (immune system stimulant) oce per month, and had her on "In Foal" by Wendal's Herbs. My vet is suggesting starting her on Regumate now. Is this necessary? Advisable? She does have 2 teeny uterine cycts, and, as luck would have it, the vescicle is very near one of the cysts. I am just debating whether or not to actually go with the Regumate. It's still early enough for me...that is she loses this foal I'd be willing to try again and t=THEN put her on it. Last year, after she lost the embryo, she had a persistant CL or hemmorrhagic (sp) follice for MONTHS. My vet thinks the Regumate use can exacerbate this.

My other mare, bred at the same time, had no obvious pregnancy. Vet is ultrasounding her again Friday AM. This is her second cover by this stallion, who has settled my other 2 mares on the first cycle. Everything "looks" normal, but if she is not in foal as per the visit on Friday, I am thinking of infusing her. I suppose I should probably get a biopsy and cytology done on her as well. Sigh.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10790
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small cysts are unlikely to be an issue. Indeed, larger cyst probably aren't either unless they're located in a strategic position (e.g. preventing a cervical seal). I doubt the cysts are your issue.

I would perform another culture and cytology before infusing at random. I don't like random treatments for no known reasons, especially if they involve antibiotics.

There's an article on Regumate use that discusses the various pro's and con's. A couple of years ago we bred 40 mares that were >20 years old, and achieved around an 80% live-foal rate. One mare received Regumate, and that was because she had a compromised cervix. I feel that good pre-breeding work-ups and management during the pre- peri- and post-breeding period are worth more than Regumate in the majority of mares. One well-documented problem in older mares is delayed uterine clearance, and we feel that we have had far more success with the correct use of oxytocin than we ever have with Regumate. Oxytocin is a lot cheaper too... :-)

Joie Roddy
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos...because I am paranoid and didn't hear back I started Savana on Regumate. I'm hoping to get her past the 30 days mark, and we'll go from there.

The OTHER mare, now, sheesh. She's the one giving me fits. She had a strange double walled looking follicle, smallish, and an "old" CL. Vet gave her a shot of lutelyse and we're going to culture and cytology next week. I am trying to get him to just biopsy her as well. I am going to use oxytocin on her. My vet was going to prepare syringes for me, but I think I'll just buy the bottle ;) With 3 older mares yet to breed, and one 9 YO who has been open 2 seasons, I figure I better have plenty handy...

Joie Roddy
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I am trying to figure out the oxytocin protocol. It reads (to me) a a 20 iu injection of oxytocin at 4 hours post-insemination. This initial injection is followed 2 hours later by an infusion of a borad spectrum antibiotic. The oxytocin injections then continue every 6 hours from the infusion for at least 24 hours.

In a "highly susceptable" mare, I would continue the injections for 3 1/2 days POST-OVULATION, but increase the dosage to 30iu after ovulation.

Is this correct? Also, how many cc is an iu?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10806
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a 20 iu injection of oxytocin at 4 hours post-insemination

Correct.

This initial injection is followed 2 hours later by an infusion of a borad spectrum antibiotic.

Wrong. I would wait until the next day to give an infusion at the earliest (all relative to ovulation - there's no point in infusing if she's going to need rebreeding). Follow the first dose of oxytocin by subsequent doses at 6 hourly intervals (so the first is 4 hours after breeding then the next at 10, then 16, then 22 etc.). If you are going to use an infusion, miss one of the oxytocin treatments. We have found having the oxytocin on a 6/12 timing works well - 6 in the morning, 12 noon, 6 in the evening, midnight etc. You can then if you need to breed again, breed 2 hours after giving oxytocin at noon (breed at 2:00 pm), then 4 hours after that you're back on the 6/12 schedule for the next oxytocin 4 hours after breeding. If you are giving an infusion, infuse at noon instead of giving oxytocin the day after breeding.

In a "highly susceptable" mare, I would continue the injections for 3 1/2 days POST-OVULATION, but increase the dosage to 30iu after ovulation.

Correct. Some mares will still respond well to 20 iu after ovulation, but if the mare is bigger, increasing dosage slightly may be beneficial as the oxytocin receptors in the uterus lose their efficiency post-ovulation.

Also, how many cc is an iu?

They are both measurements in their own right and not relative, so that's a bit like saying "how many pounds in a mile?" :-). Read the outside of the bottle of oxytocin (or the package insert) - it will tell you how many iu/ml. In North America veterinary oxytocin is typically at a 20iu/ml concentration, but check the bottle.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US