Hi I had my mare taken to the breeding farm in February 05, after being there for 3 months they called and said she was in foal and to pick her up, when I saw her I questioned how they did AI on her when it is obvious that her caslicks had not been opened, they said they do it with a long tube and it is not needed to open a caslicks for the procedure, so I waited for a year, giving the prefoaling shots at the right times. at 10 months she did not show at all (she was a maiden) so I had the vet out to palpate her and she was open. This year I again tried to breeed this mare I had her caslicks opened and had her inseminated, the semen which arrived had only a 40% motility rate, this stallion only managed to get 37% of his mares in foal 80% were bred with fresh semen at the farm. she did not take after two different inseminations. I am wondering if I should even take a chance to breed to this stallion after two years lost due to his poorly performing semen/sperm. My question is, can a mare actually conceive by performing AI without opening the caslicks? Before it was opened you could only manage to insert two fingers in.
As noted above, the size of the inseminator's hans and how far down the Caslick's procedure goes will make a dfference. From what you describe however, it sounds as though they inseminated through a vaginal speculum, which means that the opening doesn not have to be large enough to allow passage of the hand, only the speculum - which is unde 2" in diameter.
40% progressive motility is perfectly OK as long as there are a sufficient number of sperm. In fact, if a "standard" dose of 1 billion sperm were shipped, arriving with a 40% progressive motility rate, I would be very happy.
Assuming that the mare ovulated within a reasonable time post-insemination (ideally within 12 hours) - which is what one wants regardless of the sperm numbers - I wouldn't have too much of a concern unless the inseminated numbers were below 100 million PMS.
Don't start to play the "what are the chances she is pregnant" game with your mind - you'll drive yourself crazy. Just sit back and wait - there's nothing more you can do right now anyway.
I understand thanks Jos and others for your comments, I guess we will try again next year and then start earlier so we can have more then two attempts at getting her in foal from this stallion. I appreciate your help!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: