OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can you AI a mare with a caslick still in? JOS Help

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Can you AI a mare with a caslick still in? JOS Help « Previous Next »

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I had my mare taken to the breeding farm in February 05, after being there for 3 months they called and said she was in foal and to pick her up, when I saw her I questioned how they did AI on her when it is obvious that her caslicks had not been opened, they said they do it with a long tube and it is not needed to open a caslicks for the procedure, so I waited for a year, giving the prefoaling shots at the right times. at 10 months she did not show at all (she was a maiden) so I had the vet out to palpate her and she was open. This year I again tried to breeed this mare I had her caslicks opened and had her inseminated, the semen which arrived had only a 40% motility rate, this stallion only managed to get 37% of his mares in foal 80% were bred with fresh semen at the farm. she did not take after two different inseminations. I am wondering if I should even take a chance to breed to this stallion after two years lost due to his poorly performing semen/sperm.
My question is, can a mare actually conceive by performing AI without opening the caslicks? Before it was opened you could only manage to insert two fingers in.

Amanda Gilbert
Weanling
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan my vet just breed a mare here that still had caslicks in and she settled. but it was a woman vet with very small arms. other wise she said she would have to take them out.

Lindros
Nursing Foal
Username: Lindros

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it depends on how far down the mare is stitched.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10766
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As noted above, the size of the inseminator's hans and how far down the Caslick's procedure goes will make a dfference. From what you describe however, it sounds as though they inseminated through a vaginal speculum, which means that the opening doesn not have to be large enough to allow passage of the hand, only the speculum - which is unde 2" in diameter.

40% progressive motility is perfectly OK as long as there are a sufficient number of sperm. In fact, if a "standard" dose of 1 billion sperm were shipped, arriving with a 40% progressive motility rate, I would be very happy.

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 1 billion sperm were shipped, however that 40% motility was what was shipped, what we received was less than 25% motility, would that make a differance?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10771
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming that the mare ovulated within a reasonable time post-insemination (ideally within 12 hours) - which is what one wants regardless of the sperm numbers - I wouldn't have too much of a concern unless the inseminated numbers were below 100 million PMS.

Don't start to play the "what are the chances she is pregnant" game with your mind - you'll drive yourself crazy. Just sit back and wait - there's nothing more you can do right now anyway. :-)

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand thanks Jos and others for your comments, I guess we will try again next year and then start earlier so we can have more then two attempts at getting her in foal from this stallion. I appreciate your help!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US