OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Problem mare...my story, any suggestions?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Problem mare...my story, any suggestions? « Previous Next »

Jennifer D
Neonate
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a morgan mare that I have tried unsucessfully to breed by AI since spring 2005. She was a 12yr old maiden mare when we started last year.
she came into season late in the year last year around the middle of May and we bred her once in may she ovulated and everything looked perfect as far as timing was concerned. Checked at 16days post breeding and vet thought she saw a conceptus that was in process of resorbtion. We continued to breed her for a total of 5 times before we gave up for the year. No other conceptus was discovered on u/s. I switched vets over the winter and he wanted to do a full breeding exam this year and tested her thyroid. (first vet said it was unnecessary to do a full breeding exam...I know, my bad)
She turned out to score very low on her t4. We supplemented her with thyro-l and did the full exam this year. She was perfect. No infection, good uterine score no cysts etc...
This year she took on the first breeding, but on the 16 day check it was small. We pulled blood to test her progesterone level and it was right in the middle of normal so vet thought she would be ok. She resorbed by the 30 day ultrasound. I know that a true progesterone assay should be done at different times during the day and for a few consecutive days to get a true reading.
We bred her again yesterday by AI and she has ovulated so we did the oxytocine protocol and he also levaged (sp?) my mare. This time we are leaving her on Regumate J/I/K.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for me? THis vet does ALOT of breeding and they charge an arm and a leg to prove it! What other things should I be wary of? JOS????

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the vet say anything about holding fluid--I'm wondering because of the oxytocin protocol and the lavage.

It sounds like they are doing everything. I know some will say the Regumate might not be indicated and is just for peace of mind for the owner, but I say if the vet won't sedate us during the breeding season we should get to keep the Regumate (I'm only of half kidding.)

When did you start the Regumate?

Don't panic yet. Maybe she needed a dry run to rev up the baby factory.

Jennifer D
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for listening Sharon, we are starting the Regumate tomorrow. When he checked her and her conceptus was at a 12 on day 16 he thought she might be losing it, so that is why we did the progesterone test. We actually put her on regumate for three days until the test came back normal then stopped using it. I know he did it for my peace of mind, and most likely is doing it again to appease me.
I totaly agree about sedating us, I'm a wreck and I know just enough about this breeding stuff to be dangerous!

Jennifer D
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, each time she didn't seem to be holding fluid, but after the oxytocin and levage she finally took. He did it as an "all else is failing" tactic and thinks it made a difference. Jos artical on Oxytocin mentions older mares have a higher incidence of this occuring.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10750
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not consider a single failed breeding under this new regime to be indicative of a potential problem :-)

Keep up the oxytocin protocol in full, and keep your fingers crossed!

Jennifer D
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
The vet mentioned that her cervix never seems to completely relax. What exactly does this mean? And why could it be a potential issue? I should ask the vet this question, but I was not there for the ovulation check and he mentioned this to my trainer. Thanks for any input.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10756
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the cervix does not relax, then there can be problems associated with uterine fluid clearance post-breeding (or even getting the semen into the mare in the case of live cover). It is generally related to low estrogen levels, or fibrous changes to the cervix in older maiden mares. Achieving relaxation can often be assisted by administration of estradiol cypionate early in estrus, or topical application of a cream made with Mysoprostol.

Jennifer D
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, once a pregnancy is established in a mare like this would there still be issues related to a tight cervix? I guess my question is, if it is a problem with clearence and we were able to get her to concieve again, do I have any increased worries associated with the cervix. She did lose the last one, possibly a fluke or continued concern? Thanks Again.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10761
Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem would be associated with getting her in foal and in the early embryonic stages preventing EED - all associated with endometritis resulting from failure to clear breeding-associated fluids. Later term issues would not be likely.

Jennifer D
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anything we can do besides oxytocine? I think they just administered one shot of oxy. Last time she caught, but we may be looking at an inflamitory response that is lingering due to fluid clearence? So possibly this is why we had EED.

Jennifer D
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am printing the Oxytocine Protocal for my Vet, I hope he won't be offended! Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach him with it?

Angelene Nicholson
Neonate
Username: Angelene

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jennifer D
I also have a performance mare that has been sacanned in foal 15/18days then lost prenancy many times. She has 3 successful pregancies over all and it has been my conclusion that each of those times she was in work and reasonable fit. Am very interested in any suggestions as would would like filly to continue line.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US