OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

EED with no obvious reason

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » EED with no obvious reason « Previous Next »

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 5 year old mare that we bred last year, who was in foal at 14 days, and appeared to be in foal all winter, and by that I mean we saw some behavioral changes and a slight increase in weight. This spring, no foal. We never noticed an abortion so she must have absorbed or aborted really early. This spring, we breed her and she was in foal at 14 days, but at 25 days, no embryo. Were are planning on doing a progesterone assay to see if she is just not producing enough to stay pregnant, but I was wondering how best to go about it? We havenít done a culture or cytology on her yet, but my vet is not sure what that those would tell us anything we didnít all ready know. She has good breeding conformation, and her 14 day embryo looked health. Both breedings were to the same stallion and she is a maiden mare. Before the last breeding her uterine tone seemed off, but she felt normal at 14 days.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10706
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With respect to your vet, [s]he cannot possibly know what pathogen is, or even if there is a pathogen, in your mare's uterus! A culture and cytology would be my starting point.

There are other possibilities for EED, the most common of which is endometritis - caused either by a pathogen in the uterus (which is what you should be looking for with the culture and cytology), or post-breeding inflammatory response that does not resolve in the desired time frame. In the latter case, use of an oxytocin protocol is cheap and easy.

I would start with a good breeding soundness examination for this mare by a veterinarian that is experienced in equine reproduction - preferably a theriogenologist.

WRT the loss during the winter - note that a pregnancy is not "absorbed" (resorbed/reabsorbed etc.), but is lost through the cervix. You would not necessarily see such a loss, but that is a technical point I thought I would correct... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US