I would love any input on my problem mare! She is a 10 yr old APHA, and has 1 4yr old filly. (Was bred by different owner, and was originally sold to my friend as "not in foal" even though she was 5 months. Foaling was fine.
I tried AI last yeas to a Trakehner, starting in May because of the late spring (in Ohio) We tried 4 times with no embryos. The first and 3rd had a small amount of fluid that the vet said might have been a reasorption. The first was regamate, with a 38 folicle, the rest natural, with 2nd and 3rd in the 40's, 4th at 56. The 4th had an AI dose day befor ovulation, and one after, with regamate started a few days later in case her hormones dropped. She was in good tone, with moderate exercise, out with several other horses. Clean culture and cyt. We did observe a behavioral change on the 1st and 3rd that could support a short embryo.
After last years dissapointment, we decided on live cover with an Andalusian stallion an hour away, also owned by a vet. She showed a nice heat in Feb, not much in March, and a good one in the beginning og April, each getting 1-2 weeks closer than the last (the last one 3 weeks). I counted out 3 weeks, no signs of wettness (per her normal first day) so I waited 4 more, then was afraid to miss it and sent her over. Nothing at all after another week, 2 folicles on top of each other at 30, vet said take her home. Waited 2 weeks, she got wet, took her out again. Folicle at 4 days after was 30, at 6 days still 30, and the vet mentioned that she didn't have any uterine "folds" (I asked my vet and she said that one time she had a few, but not the other times) and I am to bring her home again and put her back on regamate. She has had a strong gelding and 2 stallions teasing her, with no positive response. Any suggestions, ideas, or input????
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: