OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Smaller than expected vesicle on 14 day ultrasound

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Smaller than expected vesicle on 14 day ultrasound « Previous Next »

Beth Vargas
Neonate
Username: Desilu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare was bred for the 1st time 14 days ago AI fresh semen. My vet checked her this morning and said she has good uterine tone - definitely feels pregnant but on ultrasound, the vesicle was only 12mm in size. He said on day 14 the vesicle is expect to be around 18 to 20mm in size. So, we may or may not have a viable pregnancy. We will recheck her in 2 weeks to see if it is growing and if she has kept it. She is a maiden and is taking out her revenge on me for putting her through this indignity! What is you all's experience with this, if any.

J.R.Hamilton
Yearling
Username: Cobbreeder

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth,
Have had same happen when breeding TB many years ago... in some cases ... vessicle was just small but viable at later scan .... and unfortunately at the 25 day scan for heart beat... vessicle was undersized and no heart beat.Waiting out the 2 weeks is hard, but at least you'll know what the status is .
Breeding Drafts ,and now Cobs .. I have found that at a 14 day check... vessicles have been 17-18 day size... this seems to be typical in the Welsh Cob breed.

Megan A Brown
Yearling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a mare last year with a small vesicle at a 21 day vet check. I know 21 days seems strange but the mare actually belongs to my vet, and she was so busy with other horses she spaced the 14 day vet check :-) That mare had uterine cysts bigger than her actual pregnancy, but she's still pregnant at 10 months. I had another mare with a small vesicle at 14 days who we rechecked a 21 days, in her cases the 21 day pregnancy was very fuzzy looking like it was starting to dissolve, and moving towards the cervix, that mare has other uterine problems so I don't think the fact that the pregnancy was small necessarily caused the problems. Good luck I hope she holds on for you.

Beth Vargas
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. I thought all I had to worry about today was if she was or wasn't pregnant. I didn't know that problems with the pregnancy could actually show up at this stage....it caught me off guard. I was expecting to worry a bit later whether she kept it or not, just wanted to be excited about the pregnancy for more than 10 minutes! So I guess now I wait again............can I go a whole year like this?

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth,
Can you go a whole year like this?
The answer is YESSSS, speaking from someone who did!!
My mare was ultrasounded today for her 28 day check, and we saw the heartbeat....so here I go again :-). So interesting to see the changes. My vet is sending me digital pics of it (I have ones of the 14 days ultrasound too). This time, the edges of the vesicle were a bit scallopped looking...which she said was normal.

Beth Vargas
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. Had her ultrasound yesterday on day 29. Size is caught up, looks normal and there was a heartbeat..........now on to the next check at day 65. Breathing a little easier now. Don't know when I'll really take deep breaths again.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, good luck to you for the rest of the pregnancy. With my TB we thought there was two and that they were being reabsorbed, turns out one was a cyst and the other was a very small pregnancy but by the 25day scan we could see a heartbeat and all was well. She is about to drop very very soon so no worries - they must catch up with themselves : ) COngratulations...

Beth Vargas
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to update. Had her 63 day ultrasound and everything looks great. It was really amazing to see the actual formation of legs and head and a good strong heartbeat. Now just 9 more months to go!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 492
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, and good luck for your next 9 mths - keep us posted!

Beth Vargas
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kim..........I'm certainly enjoying her lovey attitude since she's been pregnant. Please tell me it'll last throughout the pregnancy.

cathy Cook
Weanling
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she just ovulated a few days later than you thought.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US