OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Loss Foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Loss Foal « Previous Next »

Jan Owen
Nursing Foal
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad Monday, I am very new to the discussion board but I am looking for some feedback. Early this a.m.(4/17) my mare delivered a full term no abnormalities chestnut filly. She was 366 days. She was showing signs of getting ready to foal but her milk had not come in as of 11 pm the night before. She was last checked at 1 am and foaled sometime between then and 4:30 am. This was her second pregnancy. Her first was a live foal, now 3. Her prenatal care went on with out any complications. The vet performed an evaluation of her lungs and said that she never took a breath and it looked like the placenta had disassociated early. Needless to say I am heartbroken and would like to know if others who have had this experience went on to rebreed that mare and what precautions did you take at the time of foaling? Is it common for a mare to repeat placenta previa? My thoughts and prayers are with those still expecting and may you have healthy foals. thank you

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Jan, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I too lost a much awaited foal a few weeks ago. After a year of being so excited about that baby it was terribly hard to watch him suffer and die after only living 27 hours. I'm not an expert, but I would be inclined to breed your mare again if it were me, if something like that should occur again, then I would be more concerned. My foal had a "blind pouch" which apparently is common in lethal white foals. However, his sire and dam were both solid colored QH's not paints, so the vet here thought it was unlikely to occur again. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Ev

Jan Owen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you and I am sorry for your loss. It would have been worse to see one suffer. It sounds like you were dilegent on picking your foals parents I guess sometimes things just go wrong. Are you rebreeding this season that mare? Same stud or different? The stallion owner is encouraging me to try again. My vet says to evaluate her around 30 days and see if she is back in breedable condition. He also suggest that I place the mare in a facility that has 24 hour observation a month before she is due in case she has any difficulties. Has anyone ever used such a hospital/facility?

Tansy Brassfield
Weanling
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry for your loss Jan. I lost two foals this year, both to maiden mares. I thought the first one bled out from the umbilical cord, but now am not sure that was the reason and the 2nd I have no idea besides the mare who had it I question her maternal instinct ( she was three).( missed both births) Both colts were HUGE, vet thinks I was overfeeding my mares at the time. I decided to breed both mares back- since they are extremly well bred and see what happens next year. I have invested in a foaling camera now and have been present at the last two births- that went fine. I thought about foaling my last maiden out at the vet- but it is $100 a day- checked on only once every hour- I decided watching her on my camera all night there was no way I was going to miss it in case something happened and I was right. How many mares do you foal out? If you only have a few I would probably foal out at a facility that has 24 hour care, just to be sure. Sorry this is so long, again, sorry for your loss.

Jan Owen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tansy, and am sorry that you lost TWO! That would be hard to bear. No I just have the one mare. She too is very well bred and the stallion is on fire right now. We bred to him before he was actually shown much and this past year he has gone on to do lots of winning. The are paso finos. My mare is my companion and trail mate. She is the most stable, sweet, kind animal and she is boarded at a place that had a foaling camera in her stall but they do not have 24 hour around the clock observation. I never thought I would need that since he first foal 3 years ago foaled out with out a problem with an audience. My vet feels like a large animal hospital would be her best bet. Of course family and friends have volunteered to help round the clock but even with their good intentions doesn't mean the have the skills to help if there was an emegency. I wanted to have one more foal from this mare. Thanks for your encouragement, it is very helpful.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy- I didn't realize you had lost two, that really stinks.
Jan- I am breeding her back the same way this year, the vet here thought it was very unlikely that this would occur again and the breeder was kind enough to not charge me if I wanted to re-breed to her stud. He's a beauty so I decided to roll the dice and hope for the best. We'll have a year to wait to see what happens.

Jan Owen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev,
I am praying for your husband. Can't imagine going throught that stress and worry. You sound like a wonderful caring woman and he is lucky! Hang in there. jan

Kathy Hawthorne
Neonate
Username: Kathy_hawthorne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry for your loss. I too, lost a foal the second week of may. It is difficult to move on and not blame myself because I believe the outcome would have been different if I had gone to the barn just 30 minutes earlier. I had bred the same mare and stallion the previous year and had great results.

My problem now is my mare is at the breeders again and is in heat and acting like a stallion. Mounting other mares in heat, barring teeth at the geldings and refusing the stallion. My vet gave a 30 day breeding "Okay". She has never done this before but she has never lost a foal before either. She goes back to the vet tomarrow.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy,

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts! Do you know the cause of death? My mare showed no outward signs but upon a post delivery cytology and culture it was determined that she did have an infection. She was treated and repeat test and all is clear. We have had to wait while the stallion was at a really big show over the Memorial weekend so now we begin our quest to AI and get my girl pregnant. Perhaps when you have the vet check her they will ultra sound so you can get an idea of what is going on. Keep us posted as to what is going. Good luck. Thinking of you!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US