OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Risks of not stitching tipped mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Risks of not stitching tipped mare? « Previous Next »

Charlotte Dunne
Neonate
Username: Flybynite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 12yo TB mare, has had two foals through APHA, possibly more, last foal 2001. I purchased her in January, put her under lights and conducted a breeding soundness exam 2/1. Vet found her in excellent shape with good tone & no fluid, however as expected, was tipped and he recommended caslicks.

Since then she's been ultrasounded 4 times, each time shown excellent tone and no sign of infection. She took by live cover on first heat (despite having multiple follicals over 40 and being bred 6 days straight, and quitting breeding when she'd ovulated with one of them) and is now 30 days in foal. From starting under lights to caught ovulation was 68 days, with no stud onsite, so I'm feeling pretty lucky.

The point of all this, is I'm having a hard time justifying caslicks when she has a history of breeding without them, took first time, and has always looked good on u/s. Is this a valid assumption? From googling some, it seems that mares who aren't caslicked (& need it) can show signs of infection, be hard to get pregnant, or lose the baby within 30 days. Since she has passed all three hurdles so far, are the odds in my favor? what are the future problems I could face leaving her un-caslicked?

Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10587
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The greatest risk period is indeed in the first 30 days, but poor reproductive conformation and no Caslick's procedure can also lead to greater pathogenic access to the cervical region later in pregnancy which can result in the pathogen getting through the cervix (if there is any degree of cervical incompetency) and into the uterus, which results in placentitis. This at the very least is going to cost you money and years off your life from stress while treating it, and at worst the mare will abort.

If the conformation is that bad, you're lucky you've got this far, but gambling on your luck holding by not performing a cheap and easy procedure...

Charlotte
Neonate
Username: Flybynite

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The risk of placentitis is exactly what I was looking for. I'll discuss it with my vet at the 45 day check. Cheap it is, but I found watching the procedure anything but easy.

So you recommend the caslick of all tipped mares?

Thanks,

Megan A Brown
Weanling
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends with a very tipped mare leased her out to someone who didn't have her stitched, she lost the foal to infection at six moths and caused some permeate reproductive damage.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US