OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare too small for live cover

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mare too small for live cover « Previous Next »

Robert Johnson
Neonate
Username: Morganlvr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 14 year old mare that the previous owner told me was too small to be bred by live cover, but that she would have to be bred by AI the first time. They had her checked by a couple of vets and they said that she was too small for a stallion to enter her, so she would have to be bred AI the first time. They also said that she could deliver a foal with no problem and then be bred by live cover after that.

Does this sound reasonable? I haven't had time to get her to my vet since I bought her and I thought someone here may have had a similar experience.

Thanks, Bob

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? if she is too small for live cover how can she deliver a foal?!?!?!?
I am no expert but i feel pretty confident that "HE" is probably smaller than a foal....
ANYONE?!?!?!?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my thoughts would go with Kris on this one. As well, to ai a horse a humans arm must go into the mare. Humans arm vs. the penis of a male horse ? Depending on the human doing the ai procedure size seems to be similar, if not larger for the human males arm. You just don't stick the pipette into the mare, you must feel where the pipette is going for the procedure.

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that if she is a smaller maiden mare it sometimes helps to have the hymen ruptured by a vet before breeding. My stallion has not had any problems with breeding a maiden mare. I was given a mustang paint mare that bred at 19 months old!! And at 2 1/2 she was only 14 h and she delievered a fine healthy filly with us..( we did put about 150lb of good flesh and she grew about 4 inches since we got her)

Claire Sutherland
Neonate
Username: Briarhalo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too would be skeptical that the mare would safely deliver a foal. I know of someone recently whose poor mare had this problem but didn't know until after she was bred. Mare has been pretty torn and her future as a brood mare is over. Very sad.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10619
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The uterine environment is the determining factor for the fetal size, so it is unusual that a mare will produce a foal that is "too large" for her to deliver. Dystocia on the other hand can present a problem - and associated damage - regardless of neonate and mare size. Where problems usually occur they are often related to the width of hips and shoulders and depth of chest, and that is more a matter of genetics than mare size. It is always worth while considering the conformation of neonates from a certain stallion before breeding a deep/wide-chested/rumped stallion to a small mare. Height doesn't enter into it - this has been shown several times with research projects crossing draught stallions on Shetland mares (which foaled without trouble).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US