OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Correct time to start Regumate.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Correct time to start Regumate. « Previous Next »

Sharon Malmberg
Nursing Foal
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has shown decreased progesterone levels with her last foal, and the vet wants to use Regumate.

Previous vet started her on Regumate the day she ovulated. If the mare has clearance issues, doesn't the Regumate close the cervix? Shouldn't the mare be started as closer to day 6 post ovulation to allow as much clearance as possible?

How long does the low progesterone mare need to be on Regumate before the fertilized egg clears the oviduct?

Also, could Regumate make Oxytocin less effective?

Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10510
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regumate is not normally started until the third day afer ovulation, as commencing treatment prior to that will - as you observe - result in a premature closing of the cervix, thereby possibly trapping post-breeding fluids in the uterus creating an inhospitable environment for the conceptus once it arrives.

The whole issue of the validity of Regumate use to "support" pregnancy in "low progesterone mares" is a highly debated one, with the more knowledgeable researchers and theriogenologists recognising that there is much unnecessary over-use of the product in that regard.

The conceptus descends into the uterus around day 5½, but the cervix is closing by day 3½, so starting the mare on day 3 is fine and will not interfere with fluid clearance through the cervix, which is essentially stopped by then anyway.

The Regumate will probably not interfere with the action of the oxytocin as far as uterine contractions are concerned, but it will certainly reduce clearance abilities if it causes the cervix to close! Another point to consider in regards to Regumate use is that it will be likely to cause a reduction in the mare's own endogenous release of progesterone, so if she is subsequently checked to determine if she needs progestin supplementation, the fact that she has been on Regumate supplementation may cause her to require that further supplementation!

Take a look at the above linked article about Regumate use - it might hold some interesting food for thought for you... :-)

Sharon Malmberg
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, not so happy after reading the article.

She has been testing around 1.7ng/ml, so I see why the vet wants her on Regumate. She was on Regumate for 10mo with her last foal, and everytime we tried AI last year. Total 3 mo. in 2005. So, to be safe you have to assume she's probably a Regumate 'addict'.

She went foal, open, foal, foal, foal, Regumate foal. The open year they said due to low progesterone. They didn't comment why the fifth foal had Regumate for 10mo when none before. So the two most likely reasons for that are softening cervix (she got a tight one so probably not) or placentitis. What is placentitis?

The previous owners were adamant about starting her on Regumate the day she ovulated, would there be any reason for this?

So if Regumate actually reduces the uterine immune response (neutrophils?). Then any lingering edema is most likely a pathogen. (Which we did find at the end of breeding season, after she tested clean before we started breeding.)

Interesting...Thanks so much for your help!

Graciela
Neonate
Username: Graciela

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was an interesting read!

One of the vets that I am thinking of using is wanting to put my mare on regumate for at least the first 15 days of pregnancy - this is from a phone conversation, they have never seen my mare. She is worried because the mare is older.

I tend to think that it is better to let nature work, the mare did not have a problem maintaining her other pregnancy so why would a couple of years suddenly give her problems? This vet also wants to put her on thyroid medicine - based on my comment about the mare being chunky. I hate to start giving my mare something that she may not need based on a knee-jerk reaction. I also don't want to blow lots of money trying to get her bred. My gut tells me to try it without and see if it works before starting to throw all sort of things at her that she may or may not need. But then again, I am not a vet?

Sharon Malmberg
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience, nothing saves more money in the long run than getting a thorough repro exam before trying to breed.

Culture, smear, U/S, blood panel inculding thyroid.

Then you know exactly where you are at and there's no guessing. Otherwise, you'll be in the middle of the breeding season using precious cycles to troubleshoot--that gets expensive.

Or worse yet, miss the season entirely and still not know why the mare didn't take. I had a vet who kept saying "I'll save you a few bucks, you don't need a culture." That vet ended up 'saving' me a total of $2,000 and I don't have a foal.

Deep breaths...I need to go find my happy place now. Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US