OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

16 year old mare in heat for over 10 days ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 16 year old mare in heat for over 10 days ? « Previous Next »

Alex Abel
Yearling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On monday 02-20-06 I put our 16 year old mare ( who was obviously in heat) with our stallion. He bred her the same day. After 4 days she seemed not in heat anymore. I decided to leave her in with the stud since they got along great and he enjoyed having a buddy around. They didnt breed after the initial first 3 days ( to my knowledge).
Today I decided to take her back out, but as soon as I tried to lead her away, she started acting like she was in flaming heat. I left her in just to see what would happen and sure enough 20 minutes later he bred her and she stood there for him. As a matter of fact she follows him around everywhere. It has only been 10 days since he bred her last week and she clearly came out of heat, but is back in already. How can this be ?
This mare didnt take last year. We had to rebreed her twice, but then after 8 months she turned out to be open.
Any suggestions ??

Alex Abel
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone with ideas ??

Kjersti Tackett
Neonate
Username: Freetodreamarabians

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has she been under lights? Have you documented an ovulation this spring? If not she's probably still in transition, where they're just getting warmed up and may show heats but usually they aren't regular and they don't ovulate. I think for mares that haven't been under lights the average first ovulation of the year is closer to the end of march first part of april so that may be why

Alex Abel
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our horses are not under lights. We had a very warm winter. 2 of our younger mares actualy never stopped cycling over the winter. Now, wether they ovulated or not is another story. It could very well be that she is in transition. I was just a little puzzled

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US