OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Juvenile Ovaries

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Juvenile Ovaries « Previous Next »

Dana
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2000 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to breed my 4 year old mare but 3 vets say she has juvenile ovaries and will not produce eggs. Is there any hope for her?

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2000 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some 3 year-olds just aren't quite mature enough to be bred - I've seen them have very small ovaries at three, and not show regular estrous cycles, but then when they come back as a four year-old, they have matured, and everything is working just fine.

So yes, there is hope for her!

In the event that she is apparently the same next year, you might want to have her "karotyped", which is checking her chromosome make-up. There are a very small percentage of animals that get mixed up in sex-determination shortly after conception, and they end up with one too many or too few chromosomes, and are infertile. This is a very small percentage though, and the ovaries would be extremely small - pea size.

Good luck!

dana
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2000 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much for the info!

Anonymous (152.163.213.66)
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How great is the possiblity that a 20 month old Filly could get Pregnant? I am not trying to breed a young filly but I am afraid it may have happen by accident(Stallion got out of stall and over fence with two yearling fillies when no one was home. This happened last year and my vet felt it was very unlikely they got pregnant so I went into denial. Both fillies were showing signs of heat at the time they were exposed. Now after having forgotten the whole episode I am worried again because both fillies appear to be growing bellies. If the worse case is true how bad is this for the fillies future health and development?

Jos (63.215.235.168)
Posted on Monday, April 08, 2002 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very likely that these fillies are pregnant if they were exposed to a stallion at a time when they were in estrus and close to ovulation. Fillies are sexually mature at any time from about 10 months onwards.

While it is not desirable, there may be no repercussions from these fillies having foals, or there may be growth stunting and the possibility of foal rejection. There is no hard-and-fast rule in these matters.

Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US