OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stallion afraid of mare??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Stallion afraid of mare?? « Previous Next »

Ronda Hulon (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 207.69.138.144
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 5 yr. old mare..never been bred. She goes out to pasture with my stallion. She is squirting.. lifting tail.. bowing up.. all the signs of heat. The stallion doesnt get "aroused" and ends up running from her! When they sniff each other, she squeals and throws her front feet up. Never seen a stallion truely afraid of a mare showing signs of heat!! What's the deal???

Ed Ashcraft
Neonate
Username: Ashcraftje

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some stallions are "picky". They just won't breed some mares. Sometimes some colors turn them off in other cases you never figure out why they won't breed some mares.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may need to try to hand breed if the stallion respects the situation. Sometimes if he stands there long enough the hormones will get fired up. Ed is right too with size, color ect. I had a pony mare that the owners always bred, in order to do so we had to use the stallions "favorite" mare to tease him --- even if she were not in heat it worked--because the pony mare was !

Does the stallion take a little more fore play and the mare is just scaring him with her noise and feet ?? Has he been struck at before by her or another mare ? Those could be part of the problem too.

Ronda Hulon (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 207.69.137.38
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has never been struck by her before. He is an adopted Mustang..so he was in the wild til 4 years old. He bred my other mare with not much foreplay and no problems. I hand bred him to my other mare and no trouble. Im afraid to do that with this mare..she is a kicker to all the other horses..and if shes not really ready.. im sure she would. Or I might be surprised..who knows. She has seemed to act in heat every time I let them out together..??? I dont know....

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhonda,
we had a mare that came in to be bred , you would think that she hated any stallion.... many stallion owners would hobble her, yet we gave her a chance with us . We made sure that she was in a good strong heat and made sure that the stallion was good and ready before we would allow him to mount. OH..She would squeal and want to kick, but our fellow was quick and once he mounted he was heavey enough to keep her hind end down and then every time after that first year the mare was rebred and did ok. The stallion figured out the mare and knew if he were to get what he wanted he needed to be good and ready and mount quickly, but this was all done by hand breeding. My husband handled him and I the mare.

The other option would be to try to hobble her, we have never used hobbles, my husband feels that he can get things done without them. I know several breeders that will use them , some with success, sometimes it instills a fear in the mare and makes the next breeding harder on her.

Jenn Van Horsen
Nursing Foal
Username: Jennuwynn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you can figure out how to ask them why ... it is a mystery and in my personal experience, usually if the mare TELLS the stud "NO" (even if she is in heat ..) then the stud takes that as his answer! They know body language better than we do, lol, so if you really want this mare bred to him then you will prbably have to intervene, taking into consideration you now have a non-wiling mare to deal with - I mean, if she is in heat she will show signs, she can't help that - but of for some reason she hates your boy ... then you may have to hobble her to keep her from harming him - and it's not just to get him to be able to mount, it's after when he is 'spent' and she decides she is mad and wants to take a round out of him!

Just be VERY careful!!

Years ago we had a welsh pony mare who would rear up after every breeding, it was funny - she would stand for the deed, she would behave until he had 'done' then she would rear up and walk on her hinds legs .... everytime! Didn't matter what stud, she was weird. Also, one stud who only liked 5 out of 6 mares he was to breed. We always had probs with him getting ready, like you were saying if they were out together, the hormones would take them so far, flirting, squealing, squatting and peeing ... the whole thing - then she'd get mad at him for seeming to take so long - but he never had a prob with others, so who knows sometimes!

Be careful, don't let any person or your stud get hurt!!

Jenn :-)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is an ultra eager breeder, she will kick out at the stallion and when he rears to get away quickly she backs up underneath him, she is not trying to hurt him she is just saying no foreplay please get it done!!!
2 yrs ago when we treid to breed her she was haveing some hormone probs, we had to chain twitch her lip because she was eager but on thedismount she would kick out one time, she ended up kicking out at the stallion nad splitting his inner thigh next to his man hood wide open in the shape of her hoof (numerous staples were needed to heal that one!)
also this stallion was interested in her A LOT! even when she is not in heat he loves her! if she is around him he will not breed anyone else...so I was not allowed to keep her on property, we had to bring her bavk and forth or he wouldnt do his job of her off days.
I agree, be caregulabecause a willing mare can do quite a bit of harm, i hate to see what an unwilling mare would do!!!

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 143
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares will appear to be in season, but not be as ready as they think they are. And some stallions can tell the difference. We have a fabulous stallion who tells us what he thinks when he sniffs them. If he doesn't drop, you can guarantee the mare has no follicle, even if she looks hot in.

Before you try to force a cover, is it possible to have a vet check the mare?

Marilyn Wiley (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.140.184.141
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having difficulty with my stallion refusing to cover a mare. He has over 80 foals on the ground, and i have never seen him refuse a mare. She is not at all agressive. I have put a different color blanket on her, but he totally ignores her. I'm more frustrated than she is! Help! Stud is 14, in good health, good appetite, no sex drive with this mare. We bred two mares the same color last year, no problem.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US