OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Thyroid Questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Thyroid Questions « Previous Next »

Jennifer Demski
Nursing Foal
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I just found out my mare had a thyroid score of 9 and didn't settle (most likely) due to this reason. Will putting her on Thyroid meds help the chances of conception, and should I breed a mare that has this issue? How likely is it that it will be passed on? I'm so bummed. I love my mare to death.

Cindy Moore
Neonate
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer - contact your vet about getting Thyro-L. Also go to the archives of Equine Repro and read the posts there about this very issue. I did, got my 22 year old mare some Thyro-L, started her on it and she settled. By the way, her T-4 came back right in the middle of normal.
After trying for 4 months the Thyro-L did the trick. I am convinced.
Cindy Moore
}

Jennifer Demski
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cindy,

How strange that a little thing like that can cause such BIG problems. I am most upset that when I asked the vet to pull blood in the beginning of the season, and was told there was no reason to.I could kick myself now.

Painted Acres Farm (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.226.89.54
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides your mare not setting did you note any other symptoms ?

I have a mare here that I cant settle , :-( been 5 years never really investigated it , she is very easy keeper , a bit on the heavy side ..

low energy level as well ...

Jennifer Demski
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have been told, those are exactly the signs to look for. Her having a low energy level would really make me think she is low thyroid. My mare also had lower energy, but I didn't realize it because she had been like that for so long. She is much peppier now! She is being retested at the end of this month. My vet is confident this is going to work for us. I think if I were you I would have her tested for it. Good Luck!

Cindy Moore
Neonate
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet did not see the need to have her T4 checked either. Then when it came back right in the middle of "normal" - I believe it was 9 also - he almost said I told you so. That was in April. When she hadn't settled by Aug, and I had read alot about the thyroid problems and what others had done, I asked him to please get me some Thyro-L - I just wanted to see if it really worked. 2 cycles later and she settled, at 90 days there was a baby and she is coming up on 5 months along as of the 17th of January. Now my vet is even convinced about Thyro-L.
}}}}

Jennifer Demski
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,

This makes me very hopeful that we will catch her this spring. I am anxiously waiting on rebreeding her. I don't want a foal born during the really cold months though, so I may hold off until April. It's killing me!

Painted Acres Farm (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.226.89.110
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks gals ,

Gonna call the vet in for a test :-) here's hoping this is all that is wrong , I would love a foal off this mare she is very well balanced and would be great finally seeing a foal :-)

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interesting topic to me. I have a 14 year old mare that I have never been able to get in foal.. no matter what we have done. The vet has told me that there is no clinical reason for her to not settle, she just doesn't.
I've talked to several people over the years about this and a lot of people in the human medical profession has mentioned the possibility of thyroid problems.
What I'm wondering is... have any of your mares EVER settled before? Or is this thyroid issue just something that has recently happened to where you can't get your mares settled?
If there is a possibility that my mare has thyroid issues, belive me, I will do just about anything to try to get a foal from her.
She has weight issues... her weight really fluctuates. She went for years being an easy keeper, always a little on the heavy side. Last summer she went the opposite... dropping weight eventhough I increased her feed.
Now she is putting the weight back on again and actually looks good, just about the right condition.
Her energy level is also really low. It really takes a lot to get her going.
I would be blown away if thyroid medication is all she has been needing.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,
I guess if I were you I would do the thyroid blood test to see what her levels come back as. Many of the things you are listing are symptoms of thyroid trouble. Weight, energy levels. May be worth the $ spent on a blood test.

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kim... I was also told I should have her checked for diabetes.... has anyone ever had that as a problem with a horse before?

Jennifer Demski
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cindy,

I had my mare rechecked to see where her thyroid level was and to our complete SHOCK she came back at an 86. My vet was floored. SO, assuming a false test, we rechecked 4 days later...same result. In talking to the Repro lab that ran the test they said that I should cut the dose in half (one scoop down to half scoop) and NOT take her off the meds. They told me its a loop that for some reason the test does not decipher between the synthetic thyroid hormone and the natural which they believe she is producing still. I guess there is a calculation that when figured, they say she is actually at a 36 and we want a 22. So that is why they cut the dose in half. I am not supposed to pull her off of it until she settles. So, my long winded question to you is...what was your mares score when she settled? I hate messing around with levels this high. She is not dropping hair, sweating or bouncing off of the rafters like you would expect a hyper-thyroid horse to be. She is normal and actually looks MUCH better. She lost some weight and looks more like the svelt mare I was used to. Jos...any advice to give me?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US